Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Pistolcraft Hinderance

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post......I suffered a partial thumb amputation on my strong side hand, curious if anyone has similar ailment or advice.

That’s rough about your thumb. Hope you’re healing up ok.

On your question; the way I grip the pistol my thumb is just kind of there. I’m sure I’m using it to index but it’s not really “holding” anything. It’s just resting along the frame below the slide. Pulling it away from the frame feels no less secure so I don’t see it as a major hinderance but I’ve also never had to try.
    Hope this picture helps.
    714372C5-8722-43DC-8FC4-381E7928B435.jpg
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

Got a pic? might help since you're not at a class where I can work with you directly.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    Got a pic? might help since you're not at a class where I can work with you directly.
    This. How partial is a *partial* amputation?
    Isaiah 54:17

Deus dea traballo, dixo o enterrador.

You know...the easy button, although it will take some effort...learn to shoot with the other hand.
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Had a lady at work who had the shortest thumbs I ever saw. I mean it looked like someone had taken the center section of her thumbs out and sowed the nail part back on. AND this was both thumbs. We shot the Glock model 22 and there was no way she could ever reached the magazine release with out turning the pistol almost 90 degrees. She could shoot very well and had not problems with gripping the gun. What we figured out for the reloads were to have her push the magazine release button with her left hand before she removed it from the gun= then go for the new magazine. (yes we had empty gun reloads in our qualifications). It worked very well for her. And it worked because she worked at it and made it work for her.

Don't know if that would work for you or not.
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    You know...the easy button, although it will take some effort...learn to shoot with the other hand.
    Various events have made me try this. And I've found it easy, really. Handguns are hardest but by the time I get to long range, it doesn't matter which side I use.

I already shoot left-handed, my duty rig and all my equipment is set up for right-handed. I will put up a picture first chance I get, they wrapped my hand with a cast.

20171016_152008.jpg

20171024_163400.jpg

Above the red line is what was removed, "just the tip" so to say...lost the nail kept the knuckle.
    Attached Images Attached Images

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What did you do??????
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!