Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Possible Causes of Failure to Fire

I recently purchased the tool steel SI firing pin. I installed it with a Wolff 5lb spring. I was able to get to the range Saturday, and had 3 rounds fail to fire. It looked like light strikes, and all 3 would fire after loading them up again. The pin is clearly superior to the OEM product, and I do not think it was the issue. Rather, I wonder if the reduced power spring was causing the issues. I have a Glock red extra power spring, and may give that a try on my next range outing. I also have 4.5lb spring, which I may try as well.
    Those of you who are running the SI pin, what spring are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by mdh1776 View Post
    I recently purchased the tool steel SI firing pin. I installed it with a Wolff 5lb spring. I was able to get to the range Saturday, and had 3 rounds fail to fire. It looked like light strikes, and all 3 would fire after loading them up again. The pin is clearly superior to the OEM product, and I do not think it was the issue. Rather, I wonder if the reduced power spring was causing the issues. I have a Glock red extra power spring, and may give that a try on my next range outing. I also have 4.5lb spring, which I may try as well.
    Those of you who are running the SI pin, what spring are you using?
    What kind of ammunition?

Winchester white box 124gr.

Well...lol...the pin is actually longer than the factory pin so if you got a FTF with it, you'd get the same with any pin. Use a standard weight spring and see.
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Copy that. I believe that is the issue as well, only curious if anyone else had seen an issue with lighter spring weights. I have always read that lighter pins need lighter springs, but I have never purchased a lighter pin previously to test that.

Thanks Gabe and Mike for the quick replies.
    Last edited by mdh1776; 10-23-2017 at 01:46 PM.

PERSONALLY I ONLY USE FACTORY WEIGHT, OR IF I CAN FIND THEM 6# STRIKER SPRINGS

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

I use 6# striker springs. Regardless of whether it's an SI or a Glock firing pin.

The trigger pull is only slightly heavier, but it's added insurance. And with an F&S trigger, I hardly notice it.
    Isaiah 54:17

Deus dea traballo, dixo o enterrador.

I've had the same problem with light striker springs. Installing a normal spring solved it and didn't materially affect trigger pull. I would never again use a light striker spring.

I run stock weight striker springs in all mine. Cheap insurance.

Could also be your recoil spring isn't heavy enough and is allowing the slide to move slightly rearward while pulling the trigger. And much less likely is the "birds head" on the trigger bar isn't engaging the striker safety enough, allowing the striker to drag and lose velocity. Not likely, I'd still start with the striker spring.
    "Charles, I shan't trust you aboard my ship, unless I carry you a prisoner; for I shall have you plotting with my men, knock me on the head and run away with my ship a-pirating."

I had installed a new Glock RSA a couple of months ago with no issues before this past weekend with the new striker. The striker safety is polished with a reduced weight spring and I use a Glock minus connector.

I'm going to install the OEM striker spring and see what the results are. I may try the Glock 6lb red spring as well, and compare the trigger weight. As ZeroTA said, cheap insurance.