Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Pistol vs. Carbine - 25yd Training and Lifestyle

I have been shooting for years. I've been carrying a G19 AWIB for years. I shot IDPA for a while, and try to get to the range monthly if possible as my time allows.

Like many guys I've spent lots of money on gear and currently have a couple Colt ARs, a G19 and a G43. I've owned all sorts of different guns but through buying/selling this is what I've ended up with at the moment. The G43 is my wife's CC gun and bedside gun when I'm out of town. Both Glocks wear Ameriglo tritium sights.

I've been contemplating how to set up these ARs - LPVs, RDSs, or what - and realized that I will pretty much only ever shoot them at the 25yd indoor range. I have two 25yd indoor ranges right near my office so it's very convenient. I really don't have access to outdoor shooting at all, unfortunately.

I started thinking that pragmatically I may be wasting time and energy on the carbines, where I may be better served to do so with the pistol. My G19 stays on me daily, and then is my bedside gun at night. I have no plans to respond to bumps in the night with a carbine.

Does it make sense for me to spend so much money on carbines, optics, mags, ammo to only shoot them at the 25yd range and keep them locked up otherwise? Should I spend that money on an RMR G19 and training? Or a spare G19? Swap a carbine for a 12ga for HD?

I live in a nice wooded neighborhood with 1 acre lots out in the country. I don't have a home security system. There is zero chance of Antifa/urban riots here. Roving bands of redneck looter rapists after the collapse of society are probably what I have carbines for.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    I have been shooting for years. I've been carrying a G19 AWIB for years. I shot IDPA for a while, and try to get to the range monthly if possible as my time allows.

Like many guys I've spent lots of money on gear and currently have a couple Colt ARs, a G19 and a G43. I've owned all sorts of different guns but through buying/selling this is what I've ended up with at the moment. The G43 is my wife's CC gun and bedside gun when I'm out of town. Both Glocks wear Ameriglo tritium sights.

I've been contemplating how to set up these ARs - LPVs, RDSs, or what - and realized that I will pretty much only ever shoot them at the 25yd indoor range. I have two 25yd indoor ranges right near my office so it's very convenient. I really don't have access to outdoor shooting at all, unfortunately.

I started thinking that pragmatically I may be wasting time and energy on the carbines, where I may be better served to do so with the pistol. My G19 stays on me daily, and then is my bedside gun at night. I have no plans to respond to bumps in the night with a carbine.

Does it make sense for me to spend so much money on carbines, optics, mags, ammo to only shoot them at the 25yd range and keep them locked up otherwise? Should I spend that money on an RMR G19 and training? Or a spare G19? Swap a carbine for a 12ga for HD?

I live in a nice wooded neighborhood with 1 acre lots out in the country. I don't have a home security system. There is zero chance of Antifa/urban riots here. Roving bands of redneck looter rapists after the collapse of society are probably what I have carbines for.
    Based on what you're describing I'd have 1 carbine with 8-9 mags, sling, light, and a 1-4x optic, and sell the others. Pick up a Steak-out and spend money on RMRing your Glock and hit some pistol training. Personally I wouldn't have any less than 5 mags for each Glock either.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

I have many guns. I have stuff from the old days (1980s) that I would never carry. I have a couple of AK SBRs from when we were the spear point of the AK in the USA. And I have a crapton of M4 based rifles. But you want to know what I spend 100% of my training time on for the last year?

85% Pistol work
    10% Shotgun work
    5% Rifle work

When you get into a fight (notice i did not say IF) in today's America it will either be the common thug in the parking lot with a sharpened screw driver, some sort of Race Communist Insurgent that selected you because you remind him of Trump (or you got caught behind the lines of one of their riots), or the active shooter (and his team) bent on killing as many infidels as possible.

All of these will by necessity require you solve them with a pistol...THE pistol in your belt. (So much for the comfy types that insist on their Kel-Tecs and j-frames). The only exception would be the commonly seen mass attacks mounted by the Antifas and other similar types. And for these, nothing on this planet that has been invented will replace the shotgun...and its highest form of expression, the Stakeout.

I like rifles...I like them alot. I was a SWAT sniper and instrumental in the adoption and acceptance of rifles in my agency. But other than an occasional fit of nostalgia...they sit in the safe.
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

I think every man should have a rifle. But Gabe's breakdown of training time is spot on.

The pistol is our primary weapon. I would focus my equipment and training budget on the pistol before focusing on other things.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

I would suggest you get another pistol (at least) and set it up identical to the one you carry. That way you have a back up in case you need it. If you have to shoot someone, there is a very good chance they will hold on to your pistol for a while. Pistols are machines and machines do break.Plus if the crap hits the fan, two are better than one!

I would definitely keep at least one carbine, you know for when ever. A shotgun would be nice too. Plus your wife would probable shoot the carbine better than the shotgun.

Practice mostly with the pistol.
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!

I wouldn't call it a waste to own a carbine or a few. Most guys will never "need" a long range rifle either but that doesn't stop most of us from spending real money on them. You are right that the hand gun is where it's at for all practical purposes. If you aren't hunting, the pistol is what you have. It makes sense to put your training there, but it doesn't make sense to get rid of your big guns just because your current situation doesn't let you use them to their full capacity.

One question to ask yourself is: What do you want? Don't worry about need unless you have cash flow issues.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator

TWOTU since May 2015

Yeah....all you NEED is food water and shelter. Commie America operates on NEED.
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Thanks for the replies guys. It's nice to have Gabe, Greg, and Brent reply right out of the gate.

To be clear - I did not address "need" at all. I'm just taking advantage of the wealth of knowledge here regarding different weapon platforms, training, and performance.

I think I will be adding another G19 and G43, and potentially having both RMR'd. I'd definitely like to take a red dot pistol class. For the time being I'll be focusing more on pistol training.

I'll have to think hard on the long guns since I accept that I won't shoot them outside the indoor range much. It wouldn't hurt to have a 6920 zeroed and in the safe for a rainy day.

All the responses are correct, you will likely use your pistol more than a long arm BECAUSE you will have your pistol with you more than you will ever have the long arms in hand. So having the pistol nearby is what makes it the primary arm NOT because its the best option. Every free man should have a rifle, its that simple. It doesn't matter if you have the range to use it, what matters is that you have it. Sure a handgun is great and will cover most of what you describe as you tactical needs; but Id suggest that you may not realize what you need until you in fact do need it.

If you continue to insist that you don't need a rifle, then consider a full stocked shotgun. You may not want to search your house with a rifle; but you certainly can do it with a shotgun (you can do it with a rifle). Id also include as funds permit a Stakeout "shotgun" and a AR pistol.

The G43 is a great pistol, it wouldn't be MY first choice for a bedside gun; at least not when a G19 (or better) is available. In MY mind G43s are Tuxedo guns for Black Tie affairs, not "fighting" guns. They are the gun you carry when you cant carry a bigger gun. YOU (or your wife) may have reasons for choosing the G43; but its hard to imagine how a G19 wouldn't be a better choice on the nightstand. Consider that if your house is "attacked" at night, when the "attackers" are sure to know you are home and attacking anyway, in that case, more then harsh words are probably needed (think rifle or shotgun; but at least a pistol with more than six shots).

You know your situation better than anyone else; but if youre asking I'm thinking youre not convinced. Limiting your choices simply because you are limited to 25 yard indoor ranges, doesn't seem like the best reasoning. I used to live in and Urban/Suburban area just outside Baltimore City, for ME, then, in that area, a SMG type weapon seemed best and I went heavy on SBRd pistol caliber carbines and 9mm AR pistols to serve the same role; BUT I still had rifles and shotguns--even though I carried a G17 daily