Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default CUES FOR SURGICAL SHOOTING

Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Why is everybody so interested in reholstering their gun so quickly? Somebody has tried to kill you- no second sight picture, Scan your targets, ready to shoot again, press check or weapons awareness? I never understand the shoot and reholstering right away...but what do I know-
    you

Quote Originally Posted by roll tide View Post
    Why is everybody so interested in reholstering their gun so quickly? Somebody has tried to kill you- no second sight picture, Scan your targets, ready to shoot again, press check or weapons awareness? I never understand the shoot and reholstering right away...but what do I know-
    you
    Because it looks bad ass...so no practical reason
    Cheers
    T.

"VICTORIOUS WARRIORS WIN FIRST...
    AND THEN GO TO WAR,
    WHILE DEFEATED WARRIORS GO TO WAR FIRST...
    AND THEN SEEK TO WIN." Sun tzu

Terrific vid'. I've found over the years that one of the toughest things shooters have to overcome is the desire to run at one speed. Either fast all the time, or slow all the time, rather than highly focused and energized but intentional focused pauses followed by explosive movements or vice versa is something that few grasp, and even fewer master. This can be true of more macro movements (e.g. footwork), or more "micro" movements (e.g. adjusting the end of the draw stroke to allow for a precision shot even with an aggressive draw).

I try to use the analogy of a punt return or well run pass route vs. a 100m sprint on the track. Another analogy would be Formula One road course vs. a drag race.
    In order for the underprivileged and inept to feel adequate, the skilled and capable must be made stupid by decree.

- Gabe Suarez, 12/13/2011

“If a broad ban on firearms can be upheld based on conjecture that the public might feel safer (while being no safer at all), then the Second Amendment guarantees nothing.”

- Justice Clarence Thomas

I don't mean to sound like
    I'm shining you on, but
    thanks again, Gabe.

John
    Last edited by Johnny C!; 10-12-2017 at 07:37 PM.
    "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" Alan Temby

you
    "B" Westerns. Or maybe they're afraid of their own guns.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

2, 11, 17. And a wakeup.

you
    Is this something discussed in the video?
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

I don't think they were reholstering quickly. I wasn't in the class but from what I gathered from the video is that they were working on a particular technique and trying to get some repetitions in. You know, when practicing, it IS ok to work on specific techniques without having to go through the whole scanning, topping off, press checking routine. If that was the case, unless you had all kinds of time to train, you would never get many reps in of any particular skill.

Smartass remarks aside, I took that as a general criticism and not directed specifically at that class.

They were, as far as I can tell, responding directly and appropriately to commands issued by their instructor. All the usual and necessary gunfighter stuff would have slowed things down considerably.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

2, 11, 17. And a wakeup.

Quote Originally Posted by WOLF220 View Post
    I don't think they were reholstering quickly. I wasn't in the class but from what I gathered from the video is that they were working on a particular technique and trying to get some repetitions in. You know, when practicing, it IS ok to work on specific techniques without having to go through the whole scanning, topping off, press checking routine. If that was the case, unless you had all kinds of time to train, you would never get many reps in of any particular skill.
    Watch the first iteration again, the first thing everyone does after they fired is drop to holster

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI