Default RMR + New Shooter: More preaching to the choir

A few months ago I made the following statement RE the way an RMR on the Glock changes shooting:

"great equipment + new shooter : shooter's capabilities limit what they can do but their abilities will far exceed what they could do with basic equipment, and learning curve cut (case in point: my non-shooter mom with Suarez RMR and brace hitting barrel at 100 yds)"

This weekend I had an experience that reinforces this statement. While I'm likely preaching to the choir, it's good to emphasize the truth.

---

This weekend my wife met up with a friend to "catch up for a minute," which after 8 years of marriage I now know is code for "sit around and talk for a few hours". As usual, the ladies talked, my kids played, and I sat around daydreaming about what I would do if ambushed in the lakeside park we were at.

After an hour I decided to invite her 14 year old son to go shooting rather than stand around being bored. His mother agreed and off we went.

He shot the RMR Glock 19 with happy stick.

Resized_20171008_134628.jpg Resized_20171008_134645.jpg

Face shots: 5-15 yds.

1st target body shots: 15 yds, combo of slow and rapid fire.

2nd target body shots: 25 yds.

Groups on 1st target over sight alignment examples were mine, using a DA/SA pistol I just bought (still getting used to that 1st DA pull...)

He had never shot a handgun before.

---

The RMR minimized instruction necessary to bring a new shooter up to a level of competency that exceeds that of many experienced shooters I know and maximized results for a new shooter.

Could he have done this with irons? Sure. But it would have been harder, less enjoyable, and taken longer than the 45 minutes we spent at the range.

He walked away with a huge grin on his face and immediately asked if we could do it again next weekend. I got the impression he doesn't get the chance to do masculine activities like this often and I would like to take him again.

Maybe with time I might even get him to stop wearing skinny jeans.

Right on!
    Check 6,
    Air Pirate out.
    tw/ig: @SoCalAirPirate

"Real freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization."
    -Charles Lindbergh

"The skies are lovely, dark, and deep,
    but I have promises to keep,
    and miles to fly before I sleep..."

I read this:

"This weekend my wife met up with a friend to "catch up for a minute," which after 8 years of marriage I now know is code for "sit around and talk for a few hours". As usual, the ladies talked, my kids played, and I sat around daydreaming about what I would do if ambushed in the lakeside park we were at."

And thought "I am not alone...."

Good times brother, and nice shooting with the kid...

Mentorship of young male is important.. They need to know how to be a man without being Johnny the Douche-nozzle
    Last edited by m48shooter; 10-09-2017 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by m48shooter View Post
    I read this:

"This weekend my wife met up with a friend to "catch up for a minute," which after 8 years of marriage I now know is code for "sit around and talk for a few hours". As usual, the ladies talked, my kids played, and I sat around daydreaming about what I would do if ambushed in the lakeside park we were at."

And thought "I am not alone...."

Good times brother, and nice shooting with the kid...

I realized I needed to go do something when I looked up and me, the 14 year old, and my 4 year old son were all digging in mulch haha. Guess boys don't change much. :D

Quote Originally Posted by apamburn View Post
    I realized I needed to go do something when I looked up and me, the 14 year old, and my 4 year old son were all digging in mulch haha. Guess boys don't change much. :D
    Ha!

Digging in the mulch is a manly exercise....

I have been teaching the neighbor's teenager how to use power tools and sweat. He is a Boy Scout, but pretty much an indoor cat otherwise. Having an Eagle Scout, Veteran, Cop/Detective neighbor motivates him to wander over and learn cool guy-stuff. The reward for helping me with my projects of manliness is shooting airsoft guns and bows in the back yard, and learning sword work. He is improving on control and technique and I will be taking him to play some airsoft to work on small unit tactics.

I have already made the whole neighborhood PVC and foam weapons as they were using crap NERF ones when I moved in. Often during summer there are full scale nerf/sword battles raging up and down the street... Not that I would partake and whack children upside the heads...

Sometimes being the parent is boring....

20170819_191816.jpg

Irma killed the PVC rack, I have to re-build it... we will build it better, and bigger.... I am working on a dueling tree to put in there as well.....

gotta love free reps....