Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: HOLSTERS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    Molle compatable, strong side holster with an open bottom to accommodate a suppressor and a retention device, all Kydex of course.
    Ooooohhh. That sounds interesting. Bonus points if it has multiple possible cant angles. It might be mounted on a chest rig and I'd want to kick the muzzle forward about 20-degrees.
    Virtute et Armis

OK - here we go.......

Yep - agree with a lot of the previously mentioned requests, though obviously one can't have ALL of them on a given holster. MY particular area of concern is retention.

25 years in MAs - both upright and on the ground - and I want something more than a "snug fit" to retain my weapon. One of my current EDCs is a 1911 in a Simply Rugged Defcon 3 IWB leather holster. Comfortable - yes. Concealable - yes, very! But no POSITIVE retention. (Yes - I'd settle for a thumbstrap - I know, I know - not popular around here!!!!). If shit happens up close and I have to go hands on before accessing Rosco, I want Rosco to BE THERE when I grab for it! This is why the holsters of choice for my Glocks for the last several years have been OWB Safariland ALS or GLS models. Excellent retention (for that level) as well as an excellent history in terms of reliability and durability. If I could do handstands - I wouldn't worry about losing the pistol. Am getting ready to take one of the ALS models to a local kydex cowboy and see if he can modify it somewhat and convert it to an IWB retention holster. If that works like I hope it does, that - combined with my impending retirement from academia - might be the beginning of my retirement business of converting/altering Safariland holsters into a new variant. This is, of course, unless you guys come up with something similar, or better:)

geezer john

For those of that still have to wear suits/sport coats, an S.I. OWB for Glock with RMR, suppressor sights, threaded barrel, and with option for compact lights. I would include the APLc as an option as they are just made for the Glock 19/23. (Had 2 XC1's, both failed after a couple hundred rounds on a Glock 23 and were returned. APLc has held up fine after about 1000.)

For the OWB, the issue with RMR guns seems to be the butt/tang tipping away from the body. I think a lower ride on the belt helps prevent this.

Also, I made up a kydex rear loop that folds over the top of the holster (like a JM loop), but also has a rear trailing tab that your belt pushes on as you tighten it up. This pulls the rear of the holster into the body better than any loop or pancake wing I have tried. I would happily give the design and photos to S.I. Staff for their refinement and possible manufacture. Making it in polymer or Nylon 6 would make it much stronger and longer lasting.

Also, to really tuck the pistol up and into the body on an OWB, maybe molding a slight, wide, wedge onto the back of the holster, like the original Berkut design. I carry my OWB just forward of my left hip, in a modified "AOWB" position so my suit/sport coat (with a Choirboy in the gun side pocket) conceals it as needed, but it is still quick more accessible from seated/compromised positions than traditional behind the hip OWB. I added a neoprene wedge to the back of my Frankenholster and this works well. I think a larger/wider wedge molded into the holster back would be more comfortable, but not as user adjustable and a neoprene wedge.

Again, happy to send pics to S.I.'s mad scientists of the set-up for their evaluation.

And of course, your knowledge of the market wins out. Thanks for the opportunity to provide input.
    VIRES HONOR VIRTUS FIDES

Quote Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
    OK - here we go.......

Yep - agree with a lot of the previously mentioned requests, though obviously one can't have ALL of them on a given holster. MY particular area of concern is retention.

25 years in MAs - both upright and on the ground - and I want something more than a "snug fit" to retain my weapon. One of my current EDCs is a 1911 in a Simply Rugged Defcon 3 IWB leather holster. Comfortable - yes. Concealable - yes, very! But no POSITIVE retention. (Yes - I'd settle for a thumbstrap - I know, I know - not popular around here!!!!). If shit happens up close and I have to go hands on before accessing Rosco, I want Rosco to BE THERE when I grab for it! This is why the holsters of choice for my Glocks for the last several years have been OWB Safariland ALS or GLS models. Excellent retention (for that level) as well as an excellent history in terms of reliability and durability. If I could do handstands - I wouldn't worry about losing the pistol. Am getting ready to take one of the ALS models to a local kydex cowboy and see if he can modify it somewhat and convert it to an IWB retention holster. If that works like I hope it does, that - combined with my impending retirement from academia - might be the beginning of my retirement business of converting/altering Safariland holsters into a new variant. This is, of course, unless you guys come up with something similar, or better:)

geezer john
    Trust me, you don't want any more than good friction retention on a concealment holster unless you're in law enforcement. I'm not going to scrap with someone while I'm wearing. if it get's to that point, there's a gun in the fight and I'll shoot the first chance I get.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

Quote Originally Posted by gssc View Post
    It's going to be hard to find a gap in the crowded market. SI was one of the first with appendix carry holsters but now the industry has caught up. Be interesting to see how you get ahead again.
    It will be OURS and thus it will be better.
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

A good thigh rig, flapped holster for an RMR full size pistol. Protection, security, and improved accessibility. I think this is an area of the market with demand and almost no viable options.
    "... men and women of your armed forces America having signed a blank check to the protection of the American people and to the defense of our constitution, a check payable with their very lives, your military stands ready and confident to defend this country, this experiment in democracy. Secretary of Defense James Mattis, 9/11/17

I've never been accused of thinking inside the box, so here goes another thought through the 7 neurons I have left at the moment....

Why do so many non-tribe types fear/hate the Glock? Why are so many so afraid to appendix/IWB carry? Yep - ND while reholstering. Hows about a Kevlar "cup" at the base of the holster so that a discharged round wouldn't penetrate???? Yeh - sounds off the wall, doesn't it? But you know what - I bet the "general population" of shooters would frickin jump on that!!!!!

geezer john

PS - I only request a small percentage for the idea if you use it:)
    Last edited by jmoore; 10-03-2017 at 01:29 PM.

Default HOLSTERS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by krav51 View Post
    IWB appendix with an open bottom so i could have one holster for my 19 and 34.Unless an open bottom compromises the holsters rigidity or causes the front sight to hang up on the draw.I have used older open holsters with slides that extend past ,but never with suppressor hight sights.
    +1 on open-bottomed designs.
    Ted Demosthenes
    Suarez International Staff Instructor

From Murphy: "If it looks stupid and it works, it ain't stupid"

IWB mag pouches that are longer to allow higher cap mags and to keep mag closer to body.
    Ted Demosthenes
    Suarez International Staff Instructor

From Murphy: "If it looks stupid and it works, it ain't stupid"

Quote Originally Posted by TrojanSkyCop1 View Post
    CZ-75 holsters, both old-school and newer versions like the SP-01 and the PO-7 Duty.

Maybe when you can get the rest of the CZ crowd to stop being a bunch of buzzer driven knuckleheads, maybe. We've dabble in the CZ realm before. There was no interest. In fact all they did was complain that the optic was mounted too low and ask why they needed co-witness if it was just a range or competition toy. Point taken. Although we cannot deny the capabilities of the CZ in the combat pistol world, the fan club has no interest in what we do

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI