Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33383940414243
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyOblivion View Post
    That's not the way it works.

Think of these systems as "reverse GPS".

We know how fast sound travels (roughly) in the atmosphere at different densities. By taking the exact (REALLY EXACT) time the sound reaches at least three locations we can get a distance, direction, and error circle. The more spread out the locations of the microphones, and the more microphones the smaller the error circle.

A single microphone, or even a handful of microphones on top of a truck are too close together--you don't get enough time difference for them to be accurate. You'd be better using your own ears--they've been tuned by a million years of evolution and work better in 3D.
    I'm no expert, but I do see that manufacturers are advertising systems that can identify direction, elevation, and distance from a single position (vehicle, aircraft, or even man-portable) as long as the bullet passes close enough. So if I had to guess, I would say that they are not only using the sound of the shot but also the bullet itself. Perhaps that's the missing info here?

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare 4 U View Post
    My wife and I are in LV for a few days. This morning we went down to Mandalay to survey the scene. This was a turkey shoot. The view from television or your laptop doesn't do it justice. I'm surprised he didn't shoot at the strip. The estimated distance was roughly 1000 feet.....everybody on this site could/should be able to make the shots. Crazy!!!
    Last night I saw a Twitter thread from this guy: https://twitter.com/nick_falco

Basically, he went to the hotel to see what there was to see. He snooped around, looking at camera coverage and other stuff. Within 24 hours he was trespassed from the hotel (and all other related properties). Unfortunately now all his tweets are protected, but you can see the basic contents here (looks like images might not be linking in now):

https://www.intellihub.com/intellihu...scovered-this/

Net take-away for me--no way anything happened in that hotel and hallway without it being recorded on camera. So one way or another, the evidence of the truth exists.

Quote Originally Posted by mike135 View Post
    I'm no expert, but I do see that manufacturers are advertising systems that can identify direction, elevation, and distance from a single position (vehicle, aircraft, or even man-portable) as long as the bullet passes close enough. So if I had to guess, I would say that they are not only using the sound of the shot but also the bullet itself. Perhaps that's the missing info here?
    I'm skeptical. We've seen lots of claims made in the security sector that...don't quite pan out.

I could see where you might be able to track the direction that way. And if you can track the wave front from "sonic crack" long enough you might get an idea of the speed of the bullet and how fast it's slowing down, which when you map it back the other way gets you the general area where the shot came from, but that's pushing the math *REALLY REALLY* hard. Thing is you either need at least 2 microphones as far apart as possible, or you need to be moving in such a way that you know EXACTLY EXACTLY EXACTLY where you are at every instant.