Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Palmetto 308

Shopmonkey, do you have any personal experience with PA-10 rifles? Not the AR15 stuff PSA assembles and sells, but the 308 rifles.

I've seen a little bit of what you're saying with their AR15 stuff, but that doesn't match my experience with the PA-10. Granted, that's only the one I own and a couple others friends had. Their barrels aren't Tier 1, but they generally shoot OK, and there's a lot to like about the rest of the rifle compared to most other 308 ARs. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one and drop a better barrel in it if I wanted to.

Also, is there a substantial difference between their Gen 1 and Gen 2?

For those of you who may not have noticed, you can currently get a complete Gen 2 rifle (assembled upper and lower sold separately), with a stainless steel barrel, Mlok hand guard, nitrided bolt, and Magpul stock, for under $600 (not counting shipping and transfer fee). I'd be happy to take a chance on a lot of possible problems at that price!

Quote Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
    Shopmonkey, do you have any personal experience with PA-10 rifles? Not the AR15 stuff PSA assembles and sells, but the 308 rifles.

I've seen a little bit of what you're saying with their AR15 stuff, but that doesn't match my experience with the PA-10. Granted, that's only the one I own and a couple others friends had. Their barrels aren't Tier 1, but they generally shoot OK, and there's a lot to like about the rest of the rifle compared to most other 308 ARs. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one and drop a better barrel in it if I wanted to.
    i don't make a habit of purchasing substandard manufacturers because half their line is "ok" to save a buck
    so what your saying is if a company produces half of their line as hit or miss reliability, you would still put money into the other half with the assumption of a risk and willingly spend more money to make it perform better? you do realize how stupid that sounds right?
    thats like buying a car from a manufacturer that produces engines with known issues but its ok because their transmission is good, even though you know you will need to replace the cam shaft to make it worth a damn

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

Quote Originally Posted by ShopMonkey View Post
    i don't make a habit of purchasing substandard manufacturers because half their line is "ok" to save a buck
    so what your saying is if a company produces half of their line as hit or miss reliability, you would still put money into the other half with the assumption of a risk and willingly spend more money to make it perform better? you do realize how stupid that sounds right?
    thats like buying a car from a manufacturer that produces engines with known issues but its ok because their transmission is good, even though you know you will need to replace the cam shaft to make it worth a damn
    No. I'm asking whether your comments are based on experience or assumptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
    No. I'm asking whether your comments are based on experience or assumptions.
    If asked a question on this forum specifically dealing with firearms, it will always be based on experience, whether through myself, a friend or a collective of other smiths that i have either heavily conversed with or went to school and keep in touch with

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

Quote Originally Posted by ShopMonkey View Post
    I GUESS IN THE END, NO, OUTSIDE OF A RANGE DUCK, I WOULDN'T WASTE MY MONEY ON A PSA
    Not to derail the discussion too much but what are your alternatives and for how much more, ballpark estimates for sure. I am interested in a 308 AR and my supplier (SI) is not in that market

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RPG View Post
    Not to derail the discussion too much but what are your alternatives and for how much more, ballpark estimates for sure. I am interested in a 308 AR and my supplier (SI) is not in that market

What price point do you want to be in?

Under two grand if possible

I think I just saw an add today for that PSA rifle in 6.5 Creedmore. Didn't pay much attention at the time though.

Quote Originally Posted by RPG View Post
    Under two grand if possible

It's gonna be tough to build one with top quality components for that kind of money. There really isn't an off the shelf rifle that I'd recommend in that price range.