Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy AK Camper

Default Happy AK Camper

I bought an AK pistol over a year ago; a Zastava M-85 AK that accepted AR mags. Why I bought it, I just thought it was a neat thing and I was leaning toward an SBR and, well. How many of you have bought a gun just because? It turned out to be a complete dud, but I had no desire whatsoever to turn it over to the people at Century Arms because we've all heard the stories. I also like to tinker, and I figured I could get the gun to run. I like a good mystery as well as the next guy, especially when it concerns firearms. Gun would put one or two rounds downrange then I'd end up with a fired round in the chamber and a live round jammed behind it. My first thought was an extractor problem, so I took out the extractor, cut it so it fit the round a little tighter. It helped----some. Still got the occasional chambered empty with the new round jammed into place. For whatever reason, I became fixated on port pressure, and I talked myself into believing that was the issue. Not so. The answers were always there but I was not listening to the gun. Then came the epiphany. The gun would always chamber a fresh round, regardless of ammo, which means there was plenty of gas pressure to cycle it. I had gotten so frustrated with the thing I was about ready to toss it into the junk pile. I took it to Rick at TTI to look over. He couldn't figure it out either, but he only ran a box of bullets through it, and, to be honest he had a lot of other work to do. There were two major clues I had overlooked. First, the bolt carrier would hang up if I retracted the bolt at a certain point, and it would not go forward into battery. Second, there were marks on the top of the ejector. Those things combined retarded the extraction phase enough where it wasn't allowing the rifle to reach the extractor with enough speed to push the fired round out of the rifle, but still had enough speed on the return to force the fired case back into the chamber while still stripping another round from the mag. I cut and polished the hammer to allow the bolt to cycle forward from spring pressure. I then cut and polished the ejector groove in the bolt until there were no milling marks. Presto! I now have a gun that runs 100% I also did take the time to take the burrs off of the rails. If you have similar problems with an AK, perhaps this will help.

Century Arms says it all.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Generally, I do agree with that. I have never owned a Century weapon and those few I have had a chance to fire, left much to be desired. The pistols imported are not subject to the idiocy of 922 compliance, and are made without US tampering. I have fired weapons made in the Zastava factory and they seem to be rather well made overall. Plus, all the reviews of these touted their reliability and good build quality, so I scratched the itch. Only thing Century Arms did was to fashion a useless hollow copy of the Krinkov booster, call it a flash hider and screw it on the muzzle threads. Thing wobbled so much I put a compression spring inside it to keep it from rattling. I guess all's well that ends well. Runs fine now and throws all the empties 9-12 ft. in the 1-1:30 position, so it is running fine. I might just go and run a 100 rounds or so through it tomorrow. I might even clean it; or not.

Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Used to be E.TX but now Kingman AZ, and now back in Texas
    Well, it sounds like you got it all fixed up. I'm glad it worked out for you. Thanx for sharing your info. Maybe someone who's having trouble with theirs will indeed find it useful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Hey.. Why not join the Army? It's free!!

Quote Originally Posted by ronlassit View Post
    I bought an AK pistol over a year ago; a Zastava M-85 AK that accepted AR mags. Why I bought it, I just thought it was a neat thing and I was leaning toward an SBR and, well. How many of you have bought a gun just because? It turned out to be a complete dud, but I had no desire whatsoever to turn it over to the people at Century Arms because we've all heard the stories. I also like to tinker, and I figured I could get the gun to run. I like a good mystery as well as the next guy, especially when it concerns firearms. Gun would put one or two rounds downrange then I'd end up with a fired round in the chamber and a live round jammed behind it. My first thought was an extractor problem, so I took out the extractor, cut it so it fit the round a little tighter. It helped----some. Still got the occasional chambered empty with the new round jammed into place. For whatever reason, I became fixated on port pressure, and I talked myself into believing that was the issue. Not so. The answers were always there but I was not listening to the gun. Then came the epiphany. The gun would always chamber a fresh round, regardless of ammo, which means there was plenty of gas pressure to cycle it. I had gotten so frustrated with the thing I was about ready to toss it into the junk pile. I took it to Rick at TTI to look over. He couldn't figure it out either, but he only ran a box of bullets through it, and, to be honest he had a lot of other work to do. There were two major clues I had overlooked. First, the bolt carrier would hang up if I retracted the bolt at a certain point, and it would not go forward into battery. Second, there were marks on the top of the ejector. Those things combined retarded the extraction phase enough where it wasn't allowing the rifle to reach the extractor with enough speed to push the fired round out of the rifle, but still had enough speed on the return to force the fired case back into the chamber while still stripping another round from the mag. I cut and polished the hammer to allow the bolt to cycle forward from spring pressure. I then cut and polished the ejector groove in the bolt until there were no milling marks. Presto! I now have a gun that runs 100% I also did take the time to take the burrs off of the rails. If you have similar problems with an AK, perhaps this will help.
    Glad you were able to figure it out! The zastava pistols are known for being pretty good, so it's a surprise you had that issue, but it seems to have been such an unlikely pairing of causes. Kinda trippy.

A little under a year ago, I traded an unconverted saiga I knew I'd probably never get around to fixing for an m92. I only considered the trade because of what you described about them regarding century's hands not being involved in their manufacturing. That thing is a blast! I've taken it to the range 3 times and it's not had any failures. I got hold of a CNC nighbrake and put it on there, I can't wait to test the controlability. And it'll be getting a shockwave soon too! I have all the parts, just haven't started the work yet.

To be completely honest.... Even though there is a Kalashnikov forum here, you can always expect eyerolls when you use it for anything but the sig556. I suggest being excited about your AK elsewhere, thats what I do... there are a lot of guys here that still like and use them. The fact that they're cool, fun to shoot, etc just isn't good enough for some people, and going through the recent AK threads you will see a pattern. I frankly don't know why the forum just hasn't been deleted or renamed yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk
    One God, Yahweh.

My sole purpose in posting was to help out anyone who has a similar problem. Fact is the one I own is far more accurate than I ever expected it to be, which is why I wanted to get it running. At 25 yds I have put several 3 shot groups on paper that a quarter will easily cover. I know there may be some who will snicker at that, but when you consider that was accomplished pretty much unsupported, I think it is pretty good. I set mine up by taking a section of rail, milling it out the width of the top cover hinge so that it fit snugly, and drilling and tapping it into place. I also installed a Magpul sling adapter on the back of the rear trunnion, then mounted a section of rail under the handguard, on which I mounted a small hand stop. I built a sling that fit me for the gun, which I use in shooting it. I also installed a Magpul grip. I mounted a cheap Primary Arms red dot on it, just to check the weapon out. It has held up well and the mount is much more secure than I thought it would be because of the hinge being mounted to the barrel trunnion. The only real negative I've found is that most mags will not drop free from the gun. The Troy battlemags will drop free.

Quote Originally Posted by ronlassit View Post
    My sole purpose in posting was to help out anyone who has a similar problem. Fact is the one I own is far more accurate than I ever expected it to be, which is why I wanted to get it running. At 25 yds I have put several 3 shot groups on paper that a quarter will easily cover. I know there may be some who will snicker at that, but when you consider that was accomplished pretty much unsupported, I think it is pretty good. I set mine up by taking a section of rail, milling it out the width of the top cover hinge so that it fit snugly, and drilling and tapping it into place. I also installed a Magpul sling adapter on the back of the rear trunnion, then mounted a section of rail under the handguard, on which I mounted a small hand stop. I built a sling that fit me for the gun, which I use in shooting it. I also installed a Magpul grip. I mounted a cheap Primary Arms red dot on it, just to check the weapon out. It has held up well and the mount is much more secure than I thought it would be because of the hinge being mounted to the barrel trunnion. The only real negative I've found is that most mags will not drop free from the gun. The Troy battlemags will drop free.
    I am glad you got it working.
    As things stand now I do not plan on buying any more AKs unless it is a great price and I get to fire a couple mags through the gun first.

There was talk by Fuller after selling his business but remaining an employee of it that they were going to make high end AKs. Perhaps there is an american market for $2000 to $3000 dollar AKs? big question here?? I would be interested if the quality and performance were there. I would want such a gun in 6.5 grendal, but I would have to give the AR in 6.5 a hard look also. Problem is the AR15 bolt needs modification to handle and standup to the AK family of cartridges. The AR mags I think need to specialized for that round also in 6.5, but I am not sure about it. That might also be true in AK relative to the mags.
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

I think if I were going to get another AK it would be a Galil Ace. I wrote about it here as I got to wring it out pretty well and was very impressed with the accuracy, but then again, we were using what I consider to be excellent ammo, IMI. It was rather easy to hit the steel out at 300 yds with it, but we were using a Meprolight unmagnified optic with the chevron reticle, which made it a little more difficult, as the chevron covered the target at 300. I would have preferred a simple dot. Once that was figured out, it was very easy to make hits very consistently, but I credit that in part to the good ammo we were using. It would have been interesting to mount a magnified optic on it and see what it was really capable of. I offered to put a Leupold 2-7 on it just to test it out, but the owner didn't want to go through the sight-in, then reinstall of the Meprolight, which I do understand.

Do any of the parts interchange between the Galil Ace and the AKM47?