Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Glock Arm Brace Solution/PDW?

Greetings,

I am writing my first post on this forum, I have read the forum on several occasions and like the posts and the people. I have been debating three options for a firearm solutions that I have been looking for. Before I tell you the options let me share with you the gap I am trying to file. My current firearm battery consists of a hunting rifle and a 357 revolver, smallest its ever been. I was working in a very low pay career field and am now doing the student thing as I transition to a new career in software development so money has been and continues to be (for now) tight.

I have been trying to come up with a PDW solution that I can use for the following purposes:

1. I do a lot of in the field radio stuff and this leads me to some sketchy locations from time to time. I have had one firearm related event in my life doing this, years ago but still...

2. I like to ride motorcycle and so I want something that I can take with me that is compact, reliable and fun.

3. I want something that would be better for home defense type stuff.

4. I have hand tremors that have been aggravated by military injuries. While most days I can still handle my own there are days which I cannot make repeated accurate hits with a hand gun. I have shot a glock with a brace and an AR-15 PDW on really bad days and was able to do very well.

5. I want something with larger magazine capacity due to recent developments in our culture.

So that's the why, here is what I have been thinking.

AR-15 Pistol in something like 300 blackout.
    Pro - Most powerful, very familiar with the battery-of-arms.

Cons - Still really bulky.

Sig MPX 9mm with the shorter barrel.

Pro - Very convenient and compact. I shot one with a red dot and another with a very small ACOG on a "bad hand day" (meaning very shaky) and did very well.

Cons - Price, I could make this happen for over a year.

Glock with stock

Pro - Most Compact, Cheaper than the Sig MPX, parts everywhere. The local gun-store has used 17s, 20s, 21s super cheap. Another Preacher I know has one, the one I shot and he loves it.

Cons - Not super familiar with the glock but its a glock. I have poor vision, not really bad but I need/want some sighting options like a red-dot or RMR or something.

My current thought is to build the Glock solution piece meal. Buy a receiver, buy a slide with RMR and then a brace. If you guys could share your wisdom I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by swlingfan View Post
    Greetings,

My current thought is to build the Glock solution piece meal. Buy a receiver, buy a slide with RMR and then a brace. If you guys could share your wisdom I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for your time.
    This sounds like the best course of action. Hope this helps.

v/r

JD

As you have pointed out, its all about $$$--how much you have now and how soon you want the project completed. Starting off with a stock "used" Glock will get you something you can have for now and something you can build on to turn it into a PDW as funds become available. IF you take that route, use the time between "upgrades" to really learn the pistol. An Endo adaptor and Shockwave Blade combo will be under $200, If you want really compact, Id add a folding adaptor (maybe another $100) to the buffer tube. That will fold the package to something that will fit in a small Day Pack. I'm guessing at the prices, so you may even get better deals. An RMR will run $500+ (don't cheap out on this) and milling the slide is $150 from SI (last time I looked)

If you went with an AR, you could build it as a pistol and get better ballistic performance from 223 or 300Blk; but even with a folding adaptor and a 8-10 inch barrel it will be larger than the Glock. Don't go shorter than 10 inches for 223, eight inches is do-able with 300Blk. Youll still want a red dot of some type (again don't go the Walmart route) AND back up iron sights. With a folding buffer adaptor, it will still fit in a reasonably small pack. Its not a cheap option either; but its a different class of weapon than the Glock PDW.

Another option is a Stakeout shotgun, its not as compact as either of the others; not sure if the shotgun will aid or cause more problems with your hand issue. A Stakeout would be a bit cheaper; but again not as easy to transport covertly.

Oh, welcome to the forum. How did you find us?

Quote Originally Posted by swlingfan View Post

4. I have hand tremors that have been aggravated by military injuries. While most days I can still handle my own there are days which I cannot make repeated accurate hits with a hand gun. I have shot a glock with a brace and an AR-15 PDW on really bad days and was able to do very well.

[snip]

My current thought is to build the Glock solution piece meal. Buy a receiver, buy a slide with RMR and then a brace.

I would go the Glock route, it starts smaller than the other options and you can remove the brace if you need or want it even smaller. I would recommend you adjust the piecemeal route by getting the brace before the red dot. It seems to me that your hands are more of a problem than your eyes, so perhaps compensate for that first.

The Glock PDW (especially with RMR) is a remarkably capable and flexible tool. I would give up my AR pistols long before I’d give up my Glock PDWs. The price is right too.
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

The PDW is one of the most significant
    firearm advances that I have seen in
    many years. Right next to the Tac-14/
    Stakeout 870's.

They are both wonderful tools.

John
    "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" Alan Temby

Glock pdw with brace.

No question.

Good luck with your education. There are a few devs here on the forum, myself included.

If you have questions about the industry, career choices, programming questions, or even questions about school work I'd be happy to help and I'm sure many others would too. I worked full time to support a family of 5 and pay the bills while going to school full time so I know how hard it can be.

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the delay in responding, I just started a new job and took me a while to get settled in. The job is good, very low pay but at least its nearer to the industry I want to be in and will get me some money for college.

SWlingfan

Thanks for your input, especially on the optics. RMR's are something I have no experience with and was thinking the same thing with not going the cheap route. I am inclined to agree with you in-regards to the used Glock, I am seeing more and more these being offered at very good prices at my local gun shop and your are right I can learn the pistol as I go then. Especially loading, reloading and dry fire practice, I have several 9mm snap caps so practice would be easy.

I have been looking at the stakeout also, I have done well with shotguns in the past, specifically Mossberg 500's and one 590 and definitely see the Stakout's merit. My biggest concern with the stakeout is my ability to reload under stress. That said however I am definitely going to get one when the money is right.

I found the forum from a recommendation of a guy I know that trained several times with the organization and speaks highly of it though I do not think he is a member of the forum. I was discussing the idea of a PDW made from a Glock and he let me know that this group was doing good development work with the concept.

swlingfan, I have had problems with my right hand getting shaky after a bit. When that happens I switch to my left hand. It is fairly easy to get used to and I shoot just as well with my left hand. The challenge that I need to work on is manipulating the firearm when I am shooting with my left hand. This is just more dry fire and drills time.

I am slowly working on a PDW. I was lucky on the RMR because Cabellas had a sale on the RM06 for $350 and I had some coupons. Even though I should have only bought one I bought two. One for my EDC Sig320 and one for the G22\35 PDW. Keep your eyes out for deals. I was originally going to get the Delta point, but the price on the RM06 was too.
    Common sense is not a common virtue!