Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gen 4 Glock 17 failures to feed

Greetings all,
    I have owned a Gen 3 Glock 19 since 2004. I've fired thousands and thousands of rounds through it, including a course where we fired almost 1000 rounds in a day. I've never had a single malfunction. This year, I purchased a brand new Gen 4 Glock 17. I've put about 800 rounds through it. No matter what magazine I use, ever session the pistol has at least two malfunctions. They are as far as I can tell, failure to feeds. From going from a Glock 19 that in 13 years has NEVER jammed to this, is blowing my mind. Anyone have an idea of a fix?

My Gen 4 was flawless.

I would debug as follows:

1. buy and load up with good ammo to eliminate crappy ammo as possible issue. Use brass cased, quality, manufactured (NOT reloaded) ammo.

If FTFs persist:

2. try with multiple new magazines that are known to function well in another firearm.

If FTFs persist:

3. inspect recoil spring and feed ramp for some defect that could cause a malfunction.

If FTFs persist:

uhh...send it back?

I'm willing to bet you that it's the ammo or mags though.

As Apamburn rightfully said, check your ammo, follow his checklist and you should be good to go.

I have a few questions too.

1. What course did you take that required a 1000 rounds for a single day?

2. What type of ammo are you using?

3. Like apamburn said use a magazine that you know works well, if you're using cheap knock offs they will contribute to a problem.
    A man can be right all the time. In which case he can do so, all by himself.

Aluminum cased ammo has had feeding issues in my Glocks. I've intentionally ran it just so I can work on malfunction clearing. Even then it's only been once or twice per 100 or so rounds.
    Be alert, stand firm in the faith, act like a man, be strong. Your every action must be done with love.

Assuming you haven't monkeyed with anything else, it's most likely a combo of mags/ammo or the recoil spring. Gonna say it's not likely that all the mags are bad, if this is happening across the board. Swap in another OEM recoil unit if you have or can borrow one. If you have to buy one, skip the OEM and get the Suarez guide rod and Gen 4 adapter.

Could also be an out of spec barrel but that's way down on the list of likely suspects.

Also, slam a full mag home and give it a good shake, maybe smack it a few times (with an empty chamber) and make sure the mags are staying seated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Charles, I shan't trust you aboard my ship, unless I carry you a prisoner; for I shall have you plotting with my men, knock me on the head and run away with my ship a-pirating."

Quote Originally Posted by Francisp View Post
    Greetings all,
    I have owned a Gen 3 Glock 19 since 2004. I've fired thousands and thousands of rounds through it, including a course where we fired almost 1000 rounds in a day. I've never had a single malfunction. This year, I purchased a brand new Gen 4 Glock 17. I've put about 800 rounds through it. No matter what magazine I use, ever session the pistol has at least two malfunctions. They are as far as I can tell, failure to feeds. From going from a Glock 19 that in 13 years has NEVER jammed to this, is blowing my mind. Anyone have an idea of a fix?
    Just to rule it out...is it possible that there is a human component to it? Do the malf's tend to occur during specific drills? During hyper-aggressive 0-5 ft drills, I can make just about anything malf if I push too hard because essentially I'm limp wristing, typically in a rapid target transition exercise. I fix it by slowing down a hair and keeping a better grip, no malf.

YMMV
    In order for the underprivileged and inept to feel adequate, the skilled and capable must be made stupid by decree.

- Gabe Suarez, 12/13/2011

“If a broad ban on firearms can be upheld based on conjecture that the public might feel safer (while being no safer at all), then the Second Amendment guarantees nothing.”

- Justice Clarence Thomas

Francisp, any chance the ammo you're using is a little weak? I've noticed the G19 pistols generally are able to use lighter loads than the full size (G17, 34, etc) guns with good reliability, doubly so when the G17 is new. I'd think by 800 rounds it would be pretty well loosened up though. Does it malfunction with hotter loads (not heavier bullet weight necessarily, but +P and +P+)?

I don't buy into the whole "Glock Perfection" idea and while I'm sure they make a lemon every now and again, every time I've seen a Glock consistently malfunction, it's been weak or crappy ammo or the shoooter limp-wristing.

Ammo has been winchester white box 115 grain and Hornady critical duty. Pistol is stock and has only been shot in stationary range drills on the square range so that is not an issue. I dont tinker with glocks, pistol is stock and was bought new in February 2017. I have tried 9 different magazines with it. 6 Magpul glock 17 magazines and three OEM ten rounders. Malfunctions happen across the magazine spectrum. Class that i shot 1000 rounds wont be mentioned as this is a private companies forum, so I will not post a competitors name. I doubt it has anything to do with me, as Ive never had my glock 19 malfunction and I have owned it since 2004.

Try another recoil spring if you can.

At this point I would send it to Glock to fix.