Default CZ P10C - First Impressions

Okay,

I had a chance to trade some seldom used inventory and did pretty well on the trade. I was delighted that I happened onto a CZ P10C at a very good price. I was able to walk out the door with only paying some tax out of pocket (less than $20).

I have watched with some interest the usual YouTube suspects bragging on the CZ P10C, especially the trigger.

My reactions so far after only about 100rds downrange for a basic live fire function test:
    - Yup, it's designed to compete with the G19
    - Yup, after owning CZ's for about 15yrs it's pretty much what I would have expected in a Striker Fired CZ.
    - It's probably got the best "dry-fire" trigger of any of the Striker Fired pistols out of the box. I have multiple Walther PPQ M2 models, and the CZ P10C has the better dry-fire trigger
    - While designed to compete directly with the G19, it's a tad bigger. From a holster fit standpoint, a couple of my G19 holsters fit okay, but the M&P holsters seem to fit a little better. I actually have a Glock 30 holster that I cranked down for use with an M&P that doesn't fit it too bad.
    - Live Fire testing was pretty much expected, it points well, it's accurate, and it's been completely reliable so far.
    - As a truly ambidextrous pistol, I was a little concerned about how my grip would interact with the ambi controls (e.g. would I end up with unintentional slide locks or mag' drops, etc.). Nothing of the kind occurred.
    - I shot as far back as 20yds (as far back as I could get in the bay), and I also did some of my usual 0-5 feet drills. Results were satisfactory at both distances and everything in between.
    - Rapid reload drills were at first hindered slightly as I got familiar with the mag' release. They smoothed out okay, but I'm still faster with my G19's or PPQ's

The Con's (sort of) - Having only shot it one day, I'm not prepared to make any firm negative conclusions, but again, this is a first impressions post:
    - I wasn't getting the splits I would typically expect. I did a couple 3yd Bill Drills so I could really push the time and the results were so/so...about 85% of my top end speed. I can typically get splits in the .15, .16 range without too much trouble on that kind of drill, and I was getting between .19 - .21. Despite the lovely dry-fire trigger, I wasn't getting the anticipated performance live-fire. My PPQ's have seen me get down to .13 splits for the same drill.
    - While not an indictment of the pistol itself, I've been dismayed that I've not been able to find any additional spare mag's to the two which came with the pistol. For a pistol that's gotten this much hype, you would have thought CZ-USA would have run enough mag' inventory to keep up with demand. It's not a competition gun per se, so there shouldn't be much competition for the Steel Challenge/USPSA/IPSC crowd that typically would be buying a large amount of mag' volume.

A caveat to the slower splits, I was running WWB because I'm loading .40 on my 550B right now. I typically load a bit hotter (in the 140's PF if you are into that sort of thing), so that may have contributed to the rapid fire feel of the trigger because the pistol wasn't really cycling in the manner to which I've become familiar.

Overall, it seems like a good little pistol with a decent trigger, but my experience so far is that it's not quite the "Uber Pistol" that some of the proponents have tried to make it out to be.

From a context standpoint, my trade also allowed me to pick up a GEN4 G19 with NS, 3.5# connector installed, and 5 spare mag's (again, my OTD was only Sales Tax so there is no economic bias to my observations). I also range tested the Gen4 G19 pretty much side-by-side with the P10C. I replaced the spring with a Glockmeister Comp Spring and I got somewhat better results with the Gen4 G19 in 0-5 ft speed drills than I did with the P10C. By a fraction, but the Gen4 G19 with a 3.5 - 4# trigger gave a better live-fire feel when running 0-5ft rapid fire drills even though the dry-fire trigger in the P10C was noticeably better.

Bottom line, until I can pick up some additional mag's, the P10C will be a range gun/project gun that I'll take out infrequently until I get 9mm back on the 550B and can put some more rounds downrange. The P10C is a decent offering, nothing terribly wrong with it, but for me...doesn't really live up to the hype.
    In order for the underprivileged and inept to feel adequate, the skilled and capable must be made stupid by decree.

- Gabe Suarez, 12/13/2011

IMHO, as far as non-Glock weapons...the Beretta pistol (APX?) is better than the CZ. Neither will dethrone Glock. For a pistol to do that it needs to -

1). Be priced the same more or less
    2). Have readily available and extremely plentiful and affordable magazines. America's love for magazines is something the Europeans do not understand.
    3). Have market support with the ability to customise (again...its what Americans want).
    4). Spare parts availability (Americans like redundancy)

Thats it. Even SIG and M&P doesn't have that.
    Gabe Suarez

We cut our enemy's throats with Occam's Razor

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Interesting...my experience was similar. I thought the PPQ was more accurate and liked its trigger better. My CZ P0-7, I felt was also more accurate despite the initial DA pull. Agree it was a bit larger than a G19. Is it a nice reliable pistol? sure; but so are several others on the market; in complete agreement in that it did not live up to the 'hype'. When it comes to edc, I'll stick with my basic G19RMR.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    IMHO, as far as non-Glock weapons...the Beretta pistol (APX?) is better than the CZ. Neither will dethrone Glock. For a pistol to do that it needs to -

1). Be priced the same more or less
    2). Have readily available and extremely plentiful and affordable magazines. America's love for magazines is something the Europeans do not understand.
    3). Have market support with the ability to customise (again...its what Americans want).
    4). Spare parts availability (Americans like redundancy)

Thats it. Even SIG and M&P doesn't have that.
    The items you list are too often ignored based on "feature envy".

I'll probably hang onto the CZ, but I keep coming back to the G19 (even ahead of the PPQ's which I run pretty well), because it just works. Of the two I picked up in the trade, the Gen4 G19 will get more use in my rotation.
    In order for the underprivileged and inept to feel adequate, the skilled and capable must be made stupid by decree.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    When you say "Europeans don't understand", are you talking about the companies that produce the magazines, or the European buying public or both?

And is it that--generally speaking--Europeans don't consider the pistol to be a primary fighting tool and hence don't think they'll need a third/fourth magazine, or is it just like everything else where Americans see "enough" as a larger amount than Europeans would?

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert West View Post
    Interesting...my experience was similar. I thought the PPQ was more accurate and liked its trigger better. My CZ P0-7, I felt was also more accurate despite the initial DA pull. Agree it was a bit larger than a G19. Is it a nice reliable pistol? sure; but so are several others on the market; in complete agreement in that it did not live up to the 'hype'. When it comes to edc, I'll stick with my basic G19RMR.
    I took out the GEN4 G19 again today and again, with a far inferior dry-fire trigger I was getting splits as quick as .15, .16. I think what I'm not getting on the CZ P10C is any real reset feedback. I don't want a trigger that fights me, but one that works with me. The GEN4 G19 has a sufficiently light break that it doesn't fight the break, but it has enough of a reset return on it's own that I don't have to wait for it. The CZ P10C has a lighter break, and a nice short reset, but even at that short distance...feels like I'm waiting for it vs. timed to it.

A hotter load may help correct that...we shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by SigPro09 View Post
    I took out the GEN4 G19 again today and again, with a far inferior dry-fire trigger I was getting splits as quick as .15, .16. I think what I'm not getting on the CZ P10C is any real reset feedback. I don't want a trigger that fights me, but one that works with me. The GEN4 G19 has a sufficiently light break that it doesn't fight the break, but it has enough of a reset return on it's own that I don't have to wait for it. The CZ P10C has a lighter break, and a nice short reset, but even at that short distance...feels like I'm waiting for it vs. timed to it.

A hotter load may help correct that...we shall see.
    I feel the same. I once bought ALL the parts that make a Glock trigger lighter and hated it because the trigger didn't "push" my finger forward for the reset. Slowed me down considerably and I learned about finding a happy medium.

(I now have Suarez triggers in all my Glocks )
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

Quick update: I found a source for some factory mag's and placed an order. Hopefully they will arrive quickly.

I did some dry-fire today and overall, not just the trigger, I'm becoming more comfortable with the pistol. Again, it's not some "uber pistol", but for the trade value I had to surrender ($400 including a decent IWB kydex holster), it's not a bad little pistol.

I expect to wait for the mag's to arrive to do any more live-fire work, and I suspect that with a decent load and some more live-fire familiarity, I should be able to figure out the timing and it will be a nice little piece.

The magazines for the P10C are supposed to be the same as the newer P07 magazines. The old P07 mags. won't work, but the latest P07 magazines and P10C magazines were made to work in either gun. That is supposed to make them cheaper (the P07 mags are over $40 each) by about $10 per mag. Should make them easier to get (at some point) since they will fit for than one pistol.

Cajun Gun Works is also working on an upgrade package/parts for the P10C, along the lines of their usual CZ handgun upgrades.

I'll be sticking with my old P07 for the most part.

Also heard that CZ will be building a factory in the US fairly soon. The magazines (like the other CZ pistol mags.) are made by MecGar. No idea if they will continue to make the mags. for US made pistols in Europe.

When I bought them, these 2+ base plates for the P07 and P09 magazines were two to a pack for $9.99. The description now says they fit the P10C magazines as well (as they should if the magazines fit P07's and P10C's). I've got them on several magazines. Working great so far. I don't use them on the mag. in the pistol (sticks out more) but on the spare magazines in my pocket/pouch.

http://shop.cz-usa.com/ProductDetail...ine-2-Base-Pad

If the link to the CZ USA store for CZ magazines is an issue, feel free to remove it. Sorry. Just trying to be helpful.