Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Default Speed Comparison: Pump vs Semi-auto

Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

See the problem is you guys were shooting at actual targets and not blasting as fast as you could into a berm...
    Geek Warlord
    How do you want to do this?

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator

TWOTU since May 2015

My problem trying for a follow up shot with the semi is my muscle memory tries to rack the semi and that just don't work!
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!

I think this proves what I've been saying about the whole pump vs. semi argument and lays to rest the myth that a semi is any faster than a properly run pump gun. As I've written before due to recoil management and coming back on target you can see that they run about the same speed and the pump has the advantage of being more reliable. I will write more on this later.
    AKA: Fuzzy

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    Warlord of the TWOTU

IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragsbo View Post
    My problem trying for a follow up shot with the semi is my muscle memory tries to rack the semi and that just don't work!
    Been there, done that, got the hat & tee-shirt!
    And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Steven Spaugh

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    See the problem is you guys were shooting at actual targets and not blasting as fast as you could into a berm...
    Go ahead, talk sense. Bump fire would be even faster.

I would, however, like to see the results of shooting at moving targets. Clay shooters make the argument that the pump action takes you off target enough to matter, regarding time & timing of new target acquisition. What say the myth busters?
    And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Steven Spaugh

I saw a video of a match where a guy was running an Ithaca M37 12 ga. He was holding the trigger down and using the pump action to fire it. He was knocking those targets down, one after another, using that method.

Must have practiced quite a bit. And it was fast, too.

I guess, if you were inclined to use them, a Winchester M12 or M97 would do the same thing.

I don't know if any of the modern pump shotgun designs can be worked that way or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Spaugh View Post
    Clay shooters make the argument that the pump action takes you off target enough to matter, regarding time & timing of new target acquisition. What say the myth busters?
    Clay doesn't shoot back
    A man can be right all the time. In which case he can do so, all by himself.

I'm sure there are different ways you could game it to make the results say whatever you want. My original comment was tongue in cheek. What Greg did here is just straight forward head shots at 25 yards and the video shows the recoil impulse is the same and as long as the shooter uses that time to work the pump and not wait till afterward then any gained speed is all but negated from the semi auto. Add in things like movement, use of cover and not being a crazy person who just stands still in the open dong a mag dump and things become even more clear with the gained advantages of a pump over a semi auto. Not to mention the fact that you should be shoving ammo in the tube every chance you get.

Shotgun gunfighting was the first class I ever took from SI. Everyone really should take it. There are many light bulb moments.
    Geek Warlord
    How do you want to do this?

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator

TWOTU since May 2015

There are reasons why semi autos are so popular for hunting birds and for clays. Sporting clays isn't the same as this. I'm keeping my gas guns for what I use them for and I'm keeping my 870P too.