Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by EDELWEISS View Post
    What Doc says

I can see lots of reasons for a small and light revolver BUT little need for one in 9mm over 38, 357, 44, etc. I just don't get the effort to change a revolver that works perfectly well with rimmed cases to a rimless cartridge requiring clips that are a bitch to load/unload and carry. Lord knows Ive chased myself down some rabbit trails; but this one I just don't get.

I get the idea that a super light revolver is easy to toss in your jeans pocket, when you suddenly realize at midnite that you need milk for the kids breakfast; but Ive never found a G26 any harder to carry in that role. As Doc says Ive more than once held my hand on a J frame inside an old M65 Field Jacket pocket, knowing that I could run the cylinder inside the pocket if need be; but 38Spl seemed fine for that role.

I'm even toying with playing with revolvers again; but more as a game then for real carry. Picture a pair of 4" S&W 44specials and a 5 shot 44spl as a back up to the brace. I'm thinking something like a double Doc Holliday "shoulder rig" with the snubby worn in the back. Its NOT something Id wear to the mall but maybe to party.

Yeah, and throw a 44 magnum lever action over your shoulder. That's ammo compatibility for ya. :0)
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

Quote Originally Posted by choirboy View Post
    I am curious as well.

I still have a few "J" s about. With my health I am not out much, but a Modified to DA only - ground off hammer spur- finds my pocket when going into places that have traffic lights. I have said that I will move from my Township if we ever get one.

Here is what I think that I think. "J" is most likely to be a hand off. It goes in non-dominant hand pocket, left for me, with at least one 17 shot mag of 9MM. Two .38 speed loaders in right pocket. I have tried speed strips for .38 in pocket carry and end up with loose ammo. I have used half moon and full moon clips for a WW II antique 45 ACP some years ago and the pocket carry was not good for reloads. If I did not have loose ammo, the full moon got bent and obstructed closing the cylinder. Half moons fared better as they were fairly sturdy war surplus, but you had to grab two and speed sucked.

I see a clear advantage if primary goes FUBAR and being able to have "extra" rounds from a now not needed pistol mag. True confession, like most, I have ventured out with only the "J" and two reloads. On the farm, "J" mostly has snake shot in the summer.

I guess this really only applies if you see "J" as a BUG. How do you carry, where do you carry and how do you support reloading? If you do not have on the belt strips or moon clips holstered, how do reloads fare?

I always look for reasons to try something better, but i am having difficulty with this.

Choirboy
    On my place during the warmer months I a small frame revolver with snake shot loads since lately I have had issues with water moccasins (Cotton Mouths close cousins to the copperhead). Mine is an old 5 shot .38 spl Brazilian made gun with 3 inch barrel which I carry in my pocket in a holster for safety. I still carry a reliable, beat up 9mm in a shoulder holster which is more wt than I want to carry.
    DSCF0835.jpg
    Moccasin dead, hung up on fence for neighbors to see. Very tough. Shot at three feet away directly in the head and its head was not blown off, but he was thoroughly dead from the experience. I did not remove the head and the dogs know enough not to mess with them alive or dead.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Cool rig. I like revolvers and I enjoy a nice project so I understand the whole "maybe I can convert _ to_, wouldn't that be cool..." line of thinking. If you are happy with the gun you put your time into that's really all that matters.

There is something about revolvers that keeps them interesting. I love a nice old wheel gun and even have some new "modern" ones like a Lcr. Semi autos win hands down for practical carry but not every gun I own has to be "The Gun" some are just guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Zen View Post
    Had a 940, broke the firing pin. Got rid of it because S&W tech said they had trouble with the firing pins breaking and it kicked almost as much as my .357 J-frames.
    Yea, the 940 really was far from S&W's finest revolver. When I was looking into the conversion, I saw SO many reviews of the gun with the cases sticking... even after going back to the factory. Some said they fired +P+ to stop them from sticking. Others did some work on their own, with mixed results. Mentioning .357 Magnum, it actually isn't a caliber I currently own. Just prefer .44 Magnum over it.

In regards to recoil, far from a recoil shy person. Started shooting a 629-1 at 12, which was given to me later as a graduation present from my father. Might have fired a box of Special through it, maybe five years ago (was bored). Won't do it again due to the difference in POI... and costs.

Quote Originally Posted by DogDoc View Post
    Revolvers are charmingly historical but I can't imagine grabbing one in place of a G26 or G43 for a backup. Th only place I can see one is in a coat pocket I the winter so one could have a hand on a gun discreetly and shoot through a pocket without drawing but I'd still have my Glock in my belt.
    Understood... nor would I attempt to argue with someone to start carrying a revolver because I choose to. Got to use what you feel comfortable with. Short barrel revolvers are a pain to shoot accurately. After the downtime for the J-frame, it was very apparent to me how much practice is needed with them. Definitely was not my P938, which was predominantly filling that role during that work/trial run.

My 642-1 wasn't a new purchase, or something I put in a drawer and fired a handful of times over its life. Had a lot of trigger time with it, and was my first small gun (bought new in April 2009). It wasn't intended to be five round against the world... but if my primary went down, I got five shots to keep myself alive. With certain aspects of life coming up in recent years, there are times when I rather have something light and small... which having a gun that I have the years with training, it's a good option.

Let's say Glock had the 43 out back in 2009... might have been my choice, and things would have played out differently. Only thing I can say is Glock really sat on that damn single stack 9mm for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by EDELWEISS View Post
    I can see lots of reasons for a small and light revolver BUT little need for one in 9mm over 38, 357, 44, etc. I just don't get the effort to change a revolver that works perfectly well with rimmed cases to a rimless cartridge requiring clips that are a bitch to load/unload and carry. Lord knows Ive chased myself down some rabbit trails; but this one I just don't get.

I get the idea that a super light revolver is easy to toss in your jeans pocket, when you suddenly realize at midnite that you need milk for the kids breakfast; but Ive never found a G26 any harder to carry in that role. As Doc says Ive more than once held my hand on a J frame inside an old M65 Field Jacket pocket, knowing that I could run the cylinder inside the pocket if need be; but 38Spl seemed fine for that role.
    Moonclips aren't that bad, especially with the BMT loader. I've seen plenty of people suggest different demooners, but those are simple to load/unload. The knob holds the moonclip, rounds are fed through a chute, rotate and loaded. Demoon, same procedure, just on the back end. I had a similar view of moonclips... prior to using them.

My .38 setup used HKS speedloaders. If I take a 9mm moonclip and place it next to the .38 speedloader, it is night and day. No rotating a knob to unlock rounds... just eject and insert. If I didn't do the original cylinder in NP3 Plus, I likely would have had it cut for moonclips. For traditional revolver rounds, it is just an additional option, as you can single load .38s in a cut cylinder or load an entire moonclip. I considered doing my .44... but haven't had free money/lack of other projects to move forward with it. Being an heirloom, I might pass on it... but if I do get another revolver (was considering a TRR8, as my first .357), I'd opt for the capability if possible.

Actually, I cannot carry my J-frame in a standard pocket. Only gun I can is my LCP (back pocket). My P938 is a cargo pocket gun, even with the six rounder in it... can't hold those guns and get them out of my pocket (I got big hands). A 26 definitely could fill a similar carry role as the J-frame, but wouldn't be able to toss it in my pocket for similar reasons. Just never got into Glocks earlier on. Didn't like the 19 back when I picked up my 642-1... but have a 30S, which is about the same size in .45, and have no issue with it. Got to love how things change.

I am in the process of a career change, which very likely would have me carrying a .40 H&K. While I still like the 30S, and it likely isn't going anywhere, I don't see a 26 coming up. Could that change tomorrow? Probably not, as I'm still in a crappy state for purchasing pistols (NJ, one handgun purchase per month, and pain in the ass permits needed to purchase handguns)... probably more likely when I move.

Quote Originally Posted by DogDoc View Post
    Yeah, and throw a 44 magnum lever action over your shoulder. That's ammo compatibility for ya. :0)

I have a Ruger .44 Carbine to pair up with my 6" 629-1... the old tube fed one. Always liked the .44 lever actions, just never got one. When I had the Ruger land in my lap, felt it was a nice choice. Definitely more unique.

Got out of cars in high school, don't smoke, don't do drugs, don't go after prostitutes... so collecting guns is a decent hobby. But it is just as expensive... if not more.

Quote Originally Posted by jlwilliams View Post
    Cool rig. I like revolvers and I enjoy a nice project so I understand the whole "maybe I can convert _ to_, wouldn't that be cool..." line of thinking. If you are happy with the gun you put your time into that's really all that matters.

There is something about revolvers that keeps them interesting. I love a nice old wheel gun and even have some new "modern" ones like a Lcr. Semi autos win hands down for practical carry but not every gun I own has to be "The Gun" some are just guns.
    Thanks... and definitely extend that to everyone else's kind words. Again, none of my posts should be taken as this is the best... it is just another option, one that I do regularly carry.

While I love my revolvers, they only make up five firearms in my collection. That J-frame is never leaving me, but I did consider a 9mm LCR when I looked into the conversion. Trigger was too different, so all those rounds through the S&W are down the drain... as are holsters. If they had an LCRx (with external hammer), I may have been persuaded...

Lot of my guns are not something I'd carry. My NAA Sidewinder wasn't picked up for defense... just a neat swing out cylinder .22 Magnum. When they release the Ranger 2, I'll grab one of those, as well. Not to carry, but because top-open revolvers interest me. Another revolver is a Nagant 1895, one that I really should get rid of... but kind of will never get one at a "cheap" price again.

Have semi-autos that I don't plan on carrying. German SIG P228 sort of moved to light use range toy. S&W 1006 is my 10mm, along with a 15 round FBI magazine. Not even considering surplus guns... including long guns.

Guns are fun!