Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by ricco View Post
    ... and then just to see what would happen I used CKRT Obake fixed blade AIWB

I was sure that the fixed blade would be faster, as it turned out the Obake was almost twice as fast

So for what it's worth..............
    The Obake is a neat little tool. Pretty, small and stabby stabby sharp. Did I mention it's pretty? I have a couple, keep one in my bag and sometimes carry it opposite appendix. There are other, better choices -- I typically carry a Spyderco Street Beat or ESEE Isula in addition to a folder or two -- but the Obake just strikes my fancy. I have found them for $24 here and there and gift them to friends. If you have to ditch it, no biggee.
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

This, once you understand the difference between ground game and ground fighting you will see what works on a mat quickly becomes a way to get yourself into trouble once a weapon is introduced. Some things work, some don't and some are just plain dangerous once a blade or gun is introduced. If you can deliver that from concealment while being grappled with, you can make it work. The trainer is not that expensive and is a great tool for future training be it stand up or ground. Pressure testing is the answer. Totally agree, work on the software

I couldn't agree more about sport ground fighting vs. street ground fighting. Just introducing biting and gouging would make many positions you see in the UFC unable to be held. A knife or even biting and gouging can be used to create space to escape bad positions. Having spent 20 years on the ground, I don't think most people would be effective with a knife on the ground unless they had a basic ground fighting skill set to work from. Biting and gouging would also be useless without the knowledge of how to escape your position.

In the 1990's when I was training with Joe Moreira, we had a guy right off the boat from Brazil. He claimed he saw a fight in Brazil where one guy pulled a knife on an experienced ground fighter while they were on the ground. The experienced fighter got cut. But, it was not decisive. The experienced ground fighter was so pissed off, he cut the guys ears off after he broke his arm.

If you are not a trained groundfighter, I would think real hard about whether to deploy a knife while you are in an inferior position. You could make a bad situation much worse.
    Last edited by BJJ223; 09-12-2017 at 06:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BJJ223 View Post
    I am in Kalifornia. We can only conceal folding knives.
    Three options:
    1) Throw the f*king ring in the F*ing volcano and come back to America.

2) Don't conceal it.

3) Big boy rules.

How important is it for you to be able to deploy your folder one handed?
    If I charge you from 10 feet away, how are you going to keep MY knife from rearranging your internals while you get yours out?

If you're trying to hold someone's wound closed in the car while you're trying to get your knife out to cut the seatbelt.

etc.

Quote Originally Posted by twinboysdad View Post
    BJJ,

your answer lies in your jiu jitsu partners and a Spyderco Endura Trainer. If you can deliver that from concealment while being grappled with, you can make it work. The trainer is not that expensive and is a great tool for future training be it stand up or ground. Pressure testing is the answer.
    This. ^

The Cold Steel Voyager XL is the fastest folder. I like Spydercos, too, but nothing opens like that Voyager.

Practice with all of them.
    LIVING > FIRED > JAIL > DEAD

DISCIPLINA EST LIBERTATEM
    KRG, HRO: Team Tactics 1/2, CRG, HRO: CQB/Team Tactics, Defensive Knife, TMCO

T
    WOTU Since 2012

I teach a tactical folder class where care and carry are heavily discussed prior to any hands on practice.

The fundamental rules for selection of a Folder are...

1. Pointy rather than sharp. Most people don't own a sharpener, much less regularly sharpen and maintain their blades. It is sad, but reality that the tools are used and abused for everything from opening boxes to smearing peanut butter and are still expected to function as a weapon. If it has a good point, even a neglected edge won't stop it from being a good stabbing/ penetrating tool.

2. One handed opening is a MUST. For LEO and responsible armed citizen, the knife is a back up... to be used when your primary is compromised or inaccessible... and when your strong hand is likely occupied doing something else like fighting or retaining the primary.

3. Carried on your non dominant side and deployed with your non dominant hand. For right handed people, this means that selection criteria must include a reversible clip, since most folders are set up as a right hand carry as a default.

4. Carried tip up minimizes the amount of finger dexterity needed to go from pocket to fighting grip. Opinions vary, but my preference is tip up vs tip down.

5. Carried forward of your non dominant side hip. This puts it in the sweet spot and accessible by either or both hands for retention or ambi draw. And keeps you from pinning it underneath you if you find yourself supine on the ground.

The goal is to be dangerous with both hands and be able to access, deploy and retain either or both weapons in extreme close quarters.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Fletch Fuller
    Suarez International Staff Instructor

“Train Like Others Won't, So You Can Do Those Things That Others Can't.”

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Fletch's Upcoming classes in SW Florida:

CRG-2 Close Range Gunfighting- Naples, Florida June 3-4, 2017

CRG-5 Zero to Five Feet Gunfighting- Naples, Florida August 5-6, 2017

What do you think of the Benchmade SOCP or similar? I've been carrying one clipped in my front left pocket, with a Spyderco Military in the back right pocket for
    general knife use. And my G19 with SI Aqua Terra slide and RMR in AIWB carry.
    bm176bksnc.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch Fuller View Post
    I teach a tactical folder class where care and carry are heavily discussed prior to any hands on practice.

The fundamental rules for selection of a Folder are...

1. Pointy rather than sharp. Most people don't own a sharpener, much less regularly sharpen and maintain their blades. It is sad, but reality that the tools are used and abused for everything from opening boxes to smearing peanut butter and are still expected to function as a weapon. If it has a good point, even a neglected edge won't stop it from being a good stabbing/ penetrating tool.

2. One handed opening is a MUST. For LEO and responsible armed citizen, the knife is a back up... to be used when your primary is compromised or inaccessible... and when your strong hand is likely occupied doing something else like fighting or retaining the primary.

3. Carried on your non dominant side and deployed with your non dominant hand. For right handed people, this means that selection criteria must include a reversible clip, since most folders are set up as a right hand carry as a default.

4. Carried tip up minimizes the amount of finger dexterity needed to go from pocket to fighting grip. Opinions vary, but my preference is tip up vs tip down.

5. Carried forward of your non dominant side hip. This puts it in the sweet spot and accessible by either or both hands for retention or ambi draw. And keeps you from pinning it underneath you if you find yourself supine on the ground.

The goal is to be dangerous with both hands and be able to access, deploy and retain either or both weapons in extreme close quarters.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TomB7777; 09-14-2017 at 10:42 AM.

One sits on my plate carrier and another on my non dominant side as shown. good in the pokey sticky side and not sized or edged enough to make you want to use it for anything but its intended purpose
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time

I thought about designing something like that and calling it The Dick Pick, to be worn AIWB of course.
    AKA: Fuzzy

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    Warlord of the TWOTU

IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    I thought about designing something like that and calling it The Dick Pick, to be worn AIWB of course.
    Then you'd be sending Dick Picks to your friends wouldn't you.

Quote Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
    Then you'd be sending Dick Picks to your friends wouldn't you.

What filter does one use for that?
    The government selectively enforces laws, so I selectively follow them.

RGF-3: December 2014
    CRG-1: March 2015
    CRG-2: June 2015
    CRG-2: June 2016
    PGF : January 2017