Default REVERSE PUNCHES FIRST-BEFORE BASIC BLOCK & COUNTER-KARATE TRAINING

Hi Guys

Searching on YOUTUBE for Karate Training Ideas. (Not Katas) Wanting to Raise my Heart Rate and find ways to improve my Fighting Skills, I found this quick Workout. It focuses on training the basics. I enjoyed the workout and though I would share it here.

Simply add a Reverse Punch before a basic Block & Counter Combination. Even from my seated position I could feel my Rear Hip more Striking before doing the Block.

The Stronger Pull Backs also works the shoulders, LATS & Biceps harder. This also helps to raise the Heart Rate.

The Clip showed 5 different Basic Combinations doing each Combination for 3 min.

I changed It a bit and only used 2 Combinations. Reverse Punch & Head Block and Reverse Punch and Down Block for 10 min using 1 min Rounds.

Adding a min. of Blocking First and then Striking for 10 min. Alternating between the 4 types of Combination for 20 min.

The Clip showed only doing Combinations Striking First. I found adding the Basic Block & Counter into the workout I was able to move my arms a bit faster in that minute Round. Not only Training Speed having my Blocking Arm in Front but also adding more Reps in the minute Round. Working a bit harder, Raising my Heart Rate even more.

I Completed the workout by training my Biceps for 45 min and Stretching for 10 min. (5 min Warm Up & 5 min Cool Down.

NOTE:Adding a Second Reverse Punch after the Block you can start each Rep with the opposite arm.

Cheers
    Elfie
    HALFMAN HALFCAR

Elfie
    Didn't see a link in the post. Was there one?

Off to karate with Brent in 30 mikes... ;-)
    Ted Demosthenes
    Suarez International Staff Instructor

From Murphy: "If it looks stupid and it works, it ain't stupid"

I know you trying to do something else. But here is a little bit about blocking and contering.
    It was explained to me many years ago about blocking and contering.
    Beginner: block than punch.

When you get better:
    Block and punch at the same time. (Means getting off the X)

When you are really advanced:
    You know what you opponent will do and you punch him first, meaning no block is needed.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Hi Bar

Thanks for the interest.

Because I cannot use my legs to generate Punching Power my Striking Practice is used to work my Fitness (Replacing Sprinting/Running) and to improve my Blade skills. For Example: Training the Fast Twitch Muscles/Simply Arm Speed (Trying to Punch as fast as possible)

I did a lot of Blocking & Striking at the Same Time Training at the Dojo. I used it to replace kicks in Blocking & Striking Combinations moving up & Down the Dojo/In Sabaki Training. For Example: Front Hand Jab, Reverse Punch and Roundhouse Kick Combination-The Jab, Reverse Punch and Ridge Hand Strike.

If Sensei started to string a lot of combinations together and the count got faster & faster it helped to stay more op less with the same shape as what the leg would have made. Or use the same Block & Strike Combination for a particular kick. This way I did not have to decide on a combination for each count and could just concentrate to try and move as fast as I can.

It also helped me to stay as closed to the count with the rest of the class as I could. Or if I managed to complete my combination before the next count I would try and Double/Triple the Combination.

This was always a fun class. Combining Sabaki`s & Happa-Doza`s (turn 180% AND THEN 90% eight times until you are facing forwards again) together. This raised my Heart Rate & ribbed the arms. Having to move the chair first before I can Block & Strike, trying to stay with the Count I really had to push as hard as I could. I always counted the class as a Curling workout. I then did an extra Pressing Workout for the week/Martial Arts for an hour instead.

NOTE: We were also not allowed to simply Block and then Strike after you graded for Black Belt training basics.

Hi Ted

Sorry for the late reply. I only saw your post at 23:00 Wednesday night because of the time difference. I usually go online late at night when the internet is a bit faster.

I found the training on a Youtube channel called TEAM KI. The particular video is called: " How to train at home or hotel-Useful tips for Kata-kihon.

Cheers Guys
    Elfie
    HALFMAN HALFCAR

Just a quick thought...

If you look at Karate kata, there are far more simultaneous movements than single movements. Particularly if you realize the returning hand (hikite) is actually doing something other than just clambering for the next punch. They are almost ALL intended to be simultaneous offensive and defensive techniques.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Quote Originally Posted by wheel View Post
    Hi Bar

Thanks for the interest.

Because I cannot use my legs to generate Punching Power my Striking Practice is used to work my Fitness (Replacing Sprinting/Running) and to improve my Blade skills. For Example: Training the Fast Twitch Muscles/Simply Arm Speed (Trying to Punch as fast as possible)

I did a lot of Blocking & Striking at the Same Time Training at the Dojo. I used it to replace kicks in Blocking & Striking Combinations moving up & Down the Dojo/In Sabaki Training. For Example: Front Hand Jab, Reverse Punch and Roundhouse Kick Combination-The Jab, Reverse Punch and Ridge Hand Strike.

If Sensei started to string a lot of combinations together and the count got faster & faster it helped to stay more op less with the same shape as what the leg would have made. Or use the same Block & Strike Combination for a particular kick. This way I did not have to decide on a combination for each count and could just concentrate to try and move as fast as I can.

It also helped me to stay as closed to the count with the rest of the class as I could. Or if I managed to complete my combination before the next count I would try and Double/Triple the Combination.

This was always a fun class. Combining Sabaki`s & Happa-Doza`s (turn 180% AND THEN 90% eight times until you are facing forwards again) together. This raised my Heart Rate & ribbed the arms. Having to move the chair first before I can Block & Strike, trying to stay with the Count I really had to push as hard as I could. I always counted the class as a Curling workout. I then did an extra Pressing Workout for the week/Martial Arts for an hour instead.

NOTE: We were also not allowed to simply Block and then Strike after you graded for Black Belt training basics.

Hi Ted

Sorry for the late reply. I only saw your post at 23:00 Wednesday night because of the time difference. I usually go online late at night when the internet is a bit faster.

I found the training on a Youtube channel called TEAM KI. The particular video is called: " How to train at home or hotel-Useful tips for Kata-kihon.

Cheers Guys
    Elfie
    Thanks Elfie, enjoying the link and discussion.
    SF
    Greek
    Ted Demosthenes

MY Pleasure Ted.

Sorry for the late reply it has being a rough month. Was unable to get on Warriortalk.

Cheers
    Elfie
    HALFMAN HALFCAR

Good to see you back brother!
    Ted Demosthenes