Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Hurricane Irma

Just finished getting out of a traffic Jam of people trying to return to south FL. I-10 east in North West Florida was in a traffic jam. People from there getting unto hwy 90 east tying up traffic in my local area of Pace and Milton, FL when I was trying to do some local shopping. I will go back maybe Friday to buy that gate from tractor supply.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Power came back last night. About 34 hours without. Two of the four ways out are still blocked. I was fortunate didn't lose any food, but we need to cook the stuff in the refrigerator freezer. It kept getting opened. I am starting to think a small generator may be worth the trouble just to run the refrigerator and big freezer. I have never seen my location as ideal for long term survival and generators bring their own issues. We always had lights(Flashlights, Kerosene, Propane, and Candles.) and a way to cook(Gas Stove), used a battery powered radio for information. My daughter started freaking out when her cell phone was dying but I actually was proud she got got resourceful figuring out how to recharge it. She correctly figured that the laptop was useless because the battery wouldn't last long enough to even watch a full movie and the internet didn't work, so she used it to charge her phone.
    God, Guns and Guts made America free. Lets keep all three.
    Proud GeorgiaCarry.org Member

#1 thing everybody should do in regards to power is to have a big inverter that can run off the car battery. See this site for more info:

http://www.solar1234.com/ or http://battery1234.com/

FYI, my son's unit moved from St. Croix to Puerto Rico to shelter their helos from Hurricane Maria. My wife was worried about him but I kept telling her Uncle Sugar has a lot of $$$ invested in those Black Hawks, so if they were safe, then the crews were safe. Privately, I was scratching my head until I saw the hangar they used to protect the aircraft. I looked it up (Google satellite is pretty amazing) and it used to house B-36 strategic bombers during the Cold War. Turns out the airport used to be an airbase. They sent a photo of the hangar -- it's freaking huge! I counted at least two MH-53s, two CH-47s and a handful of UH-60s ... and there's still enough room to hold a softball game. Man, those B-36s were gigantic!

21751481_10155080787568528_8521227683212608883_n.jpg

Anywho, all power is out and comms are down except for a pair of SATCOM phones the unit took with them. They've all been given the opportunity to call home and our daughter in law keeps us apprised. The guys holed up in the local hotel, which used to be a military hospital. While they were grazed by the center of the hurricane, everyone came through it safe -- "See, Mom? I told you ...." <whew!> -- and the helos are perfectly flyable. Thank goodness for Cold War construction projects. The detachment flew out today, returning to St. Croix to resume hoist casualty evacuation missions throughout the Virgin Islands. No telling when they'll be home.

636415966072444541-virginislands7.jpg

He's been deployed twice to Kuwait on year-long mission to perform aircraft maintenance. Came home each time frustrated and burnt out. This mission is totally different. I think he's experienced more satisfaction, seeing up close the affect his job has on others. He's in line for a flying crewchief position, so this is great experience for him. A good time to be a soldier.
    Last edited by Redneck Zen; 09-22-2017 at 02:43 PM.
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

Apparently the ailing citrus industry in florida was hurt even more by Hurricane Irma. Article link on why you orange juice likely comes from brazil. There is a new GMO citrus that offers hope and will for sure really tick off a lot of people that do not like GMOs.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/florida...ing-1506437044
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez