Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    The boerboel use to be a lean rangy dog used by farmers for everything in south africa. Today it has been turned into a heavy mastiff type. It is quite popular now days in its modern form. I do not know what it offers over other mastiff types. Pictures of these dogs that I have seen prior to WWII look little like they do today. I would as soon get a decent rottweiler if I wanted a ban dog that was ok with the family.
    If you plan to buy any of these newer mastiff type breeds pay particular attention to the kennel and what they produce. Do your research and do not accept hype from the breeders as truth.
    One of my old home town buddies plays for the Atlanta Falcons. He's got two that have made great security and family dogs. Sparked my curiosity. I'm still and Old Family Carver, Clemmons, and Boudreaux kinda guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jon Payne
    Ambassador, Suarez Group of Companies
    Suarez International Law Enforcement Instructor

The Two Most Dangerous Places in Today's World:
    1.) A Gun Free Zone
    2.) Your Comfort Zone

TRAIN WITH PAYNE 2018

​CRG-1 Orange TX January 20-21, 2018

CRG-2 Orange TX March 10-11, 2018

Find a rescue organization near you. They will have a number of dogs, and usually they will have some sort of meet and greet.

Go there, find a nice dog that will be about the size you want when full grown.

You'll get an awesome dog.

I've got a New Mexican High Desert Garbage Hound that is about equal parts Shepard/Mailnois, Pit, Lab, Ridgeback, Great Dane (little bit, mostly paws), but he's friendly and protective at the same time.

Mutts rock.

We haven't settled on a a breed yet. Just looking. More recently we're looking into Olde Bulddogs. I've yet to find a semi local breeder for the Amstaf. My Sensei has a Oldes and knows a breeder within a few hours. Theubswwm like neat dogs too.
    Be alert, stand firm in the faith, act like a man, be strong. Your every action must be done with love.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms23dad View Post
    We haven't settled on a a breed yet. Just looking. More recently we're looking into Olde Bulddogs. I've yet to find a semi local breeder for the Amstaf. My Sensei has a Oldes and knows a breeder within a few hours. Theubswwm like neat dogs too.
    A colleague has one. He is most happy with his 15 year Olde English Bulldogge and has purchased a puppy of the same breed as replacement when his old boy goes. A 15 yr old dog of any breed is an old dog. Was created IIRC about 1970 or so between the unhealthy English Bulldog and the White English to make a healthy dog. There is a lot of phony hype about these dogs being a recreation of the original dog used for bull baiting in 18th century England. There has been some infighting within that group of breeders and that dog is bred under at least two names. One can look it up on the web. It is good dog, but not the original 'Bulldogge"
    They are not for me since I need working dogs that can run fast and efficiently fight predators, but for a house and yard dog they are as good many other dogs.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

You might also look at the American Bully which comes in different size categories. Need to be careful of the breeder for these dogs. They are crosses starting with pit bull and most often English Bulldog. Again not for me, but some do like them

...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

I have an American Staffordshire Bull Terrier, and she is a great dog, but not one I'd recommend for everyone. We actually got ours free from a local breeder because she was the runt of the litter. Really beautiful dog, chocolate brown with white blaze face and chest. She weighs in at around 60 lbs, which is on the small size. Ours is very loyal, but does not take to new people. It takes months for her to accept new people into her clan. She is not aggressive toward other dogs, and is a polar opposite to the 75lb boxer we have. She loves people and hates other dogs. The Staffordshire is a high energy dog, at least ours is, and needs to run, and at 6 yrs. old is still very playful. Very intelligent and very protective of mamma and me, which I take as a positive thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ronlassit View Post
    I have an American Staffordshire Bull Terrier, and she is a great dog, but not one I'd recommend for everyone. We actually got ours free from a local breeder because she was the runt of the litter. Really beautiful dog, chocolate brown with white blaze face and chest. She weighs in at around 60 lbs, which is on the small size. Ours is very loyal, but does not take to new people. It takes months for her to accept new people into her clan. She is not aggressive toward other dogs, and is a polar opposite to the 75lb boxer we have. She loves people and hates other dogs. The Staffordshire is a high energy dog, at least ours is, and needs to run, and at 6 yrs. old is still very playful. Very intelligent and very protective of mamma and me, which I take as a positive thing.
    I am sure you have a great dog. But when the runt of the litter is 60 lbs I wonder what that breeder is doing. The rest of the description rings true. When people quit breeding for function and for the home pet market the dogs tend to get a lot bigger. The function of a pitbull was to fight in the pit or box.

Traits
    American Staffordshire Terrier
    Weight 4060 lb (1827 kg)
    Height 17 to 19 in (43 to 48 cm)[1]

The "American Bully" is a tragic mixed breed that people are intentionally deforming.

Very sad. It's a bunch of "all show no go" types who favor form over function, what they think looks cool. Taking these majestic animals and squatting them down into beasts with backs wide as a coffee table and stubby little legs. There are many birth defects and wrecked animals.

I do know that the guy who founded one of the blue whale "pit bull" lines (Gotti, Razor's Edge, one of them, both?) bought a descendant of Plumber's champion Alligator to start with. Then crossed in god-knows-what.

Quote Originally Posted by Texican_gal View Post
    The "American Bully" is a tragic mixed breed that people are intentionally deforming.

Very sad. It's a bunch of "all show no go" types who favor form over function, what they think looks cool. Taking these majestic animals and squatting them down into beasts with backs wide as a coffee table and stubby little legs. There are many birth defects and wrecked animals.

I do know that the guy who founded one of the blue whale "pit bull" lines (Gotti, Razor's Edge, one of them, both?) bought a descendant of Plumber's champion Alligator to start with. Then crossed in god-knows-what.
    Yep, the American Bully will never be a choice for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jon Payne
    Ambassador, Suarez Group of Companies
    Suarez International Law Enforcement Instructor

The Two Most Dangerous Places in Today's World:
    1.) A Gun Free Zone
    2.) Your Comfort Zone

TRAIN WITH PAYNE 2018

​CRG-1 Orange TX January 20-21, 2018

CRG-2 Orange TX March 10-11, 2018

The American bully is said to make a good couch potato and that is all many want.