Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Is the barrel easy to remove for a chop/ thread?
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by callmebubba View Post
    its already threaded

Quote Originally Posted by callmebubba View Post
    on a standard American no, on the version in question, like E said, its already threaded

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

Quote Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
    Agreed on all except this part. It's essentially the same action as the Ruger Precision Rifle (minor differences in the action shape at the rear of course) and every bit as capable for a basis to build on; the low initial price should not be a factor in whether these are "worth upgrading". Upgrade all you want; if a guy wanted to build something you'd be a lot better off starting with one of these than a Rem 700.
    It's not the price factor that makes it not worth uprgrading its the fact that one, unless your willing to machine your own bolt parts, your not going to be upgrading anything, the barrel is okay, but not easily replaceable and you will be sacrificing a part that you will need to have replaced directly by the graces of Ruger, or again machine your own, and anything with a plastic capped bolt just simply isn't worth the effort. there are too many machining shortcuts in the design to allow for solid and consistent improvement, but again, if you want to spend the time machining and trying to install a V-BED into a better quality stock, by all means, whatever makes it worth it to you. I'm not a fan of 700s, at least not from Remington, Defiance and Surgeon yes, but they have enough of a market that makes upgrading fairly simple and doable from the top down. This is why you can build a 700 style rifle from the action up, good luck doing that with an american

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

We'll have to disagree on that then. Most of what you describe is a non-issue. Machining bolt parts? Why? It's not a Rem 700, you don't have to re-machine and true the entire action from the ground up. One can certainly install a different barrel and/or stiffer stock or chassis if it makes the rifle better for them; upgrading doesn't have to mean building a full-on benchrest rifle.

And the "too many shortcuts in machining" bit - sorry, but no. It is a better design that requires less machining than many older rifles; that doesn't mean they are shortcuts.
    Last edited by Yondering; 09-01-2017 at 10:35 AM.

Umm, there are already aftermarket parts for this rifle, including bolt shroud, barrel nuts (that are made to be reusable) barrels. Etc, all you gotta do is look for them. Google is your friend.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Exactly. Here are a couple easy options for barrel nuts. No need to machine your own.

http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/ruger...16-2b-tpi.html

http://patriotvalleyarms.com/barrel-...uger-american/

A couple years back I got tired of trying to back sling my AR for coyote hunting and purchased an American in 22-250 in plain black with 22 or 24 inch barrel. At the time we were really busy with our boys and I didn't have any time for load development so I grabbed 2 boxes of Remington green /white box 50 grain HPs and it promptly put them into about a half inch. I was surprised to say the least. These rounds are very cheap maybe $18 a box or less. I've since switched back to hornady superformance 55 grain VMAXs and it shoots those the same. I have had numerous 700s and still have a couple and none of them have been like that. Still good and accurate enough but not like this American. Ruger has a winner with this series. I would like to try the RPR in 308 sometime. I sold a Leupold scope to a guy out Lawdog's way a couple years ago and they had all switched to the RPR for caribou in 6.5. The guy just went on and on about them. They are so cheap that if you don't like it it's easy enough to move it.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Just noticed yesterday, Ruger American Ranch now in 7.62x39mm. It takes Mini-30 mags too!

I don't have mags to fit it, but I may have a box or two of ammo..... First I want to confirm that it functions well with steel case stuff. If so, I will order one.

Quote Originally Posted by Solothurn View Post
    Just noticed yesterday, Ruger American Ranch now in 7.62x39mm. It takes Mini-30 mags too!....

I was initially excited to see that but I'm not sure using Mini 30 mags is a winner for anybody but Ruger and Mini 30 owners. I "get" the plus if you already own a Mini 30; but I'm just not seeing a huge plus otherwise. I think its typical RUGER avoiding and chance to use "standard" mags. Imagine a Ruger that used AR mags in 223/300Blk. Imagine a Ruger that used PMags in 308case rounds.

I do like the American "rotary" mags, they remind me of Steyr SSG69 mags. They are small and flush fitting, which is what I want on a hunting/hiking/stalking rifle. If the delivery guy was on time this week I hope to pick my American Predator today. I'm still pondering about a future "upgrade" to a MagPul stock and maybe PMags (since I have a few on hand); but for now Ive got a suppressor and sweet Trijicon scope set aside for it (talk about the optic costing more than the rifle) and maybe some cammo schemes if I'm feeling artsy....
    9A2714BEF0EE59454891FD56A91A5637CC42D62D.jpg
    5D82C111BA3463289C8288E0A7BF7E65630AC507.jpg