Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shield RMS

If you want to keep your lenses clean, throw a makeup brush in your range bag. They work on all optics and only cost a couple bucks. You can find them in the beauty aisle of any grocery store.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    They could make the Shield to be as robust as the RMR but then it would cost the same as the RMR and few would select it instead of the ubiquitous RMR.
    I'm not so sure. I like my Docter on my G19 - it fits like a glove. I'm not sure the optics companies have really grasped that the mini-red-dots are going to be standard ten years from now, and the first company that comes out with one that is both durable and compact enough to not overhang the slide sides will sell a bunch of them.

My buddy had RMS on his G19 MOS. Was doing fine after first 400 rounds. Then the problems started. He had flickering issues where the dot would come and go as it pleased. He contacted SHIELD and they informed him he may have had a "bad one" that got thru and that he can place electrical tape on the battery or return it. He tried the electrical tape, worked for another 300 rounds and then....kaput.....dead. Completely out.

At least the company stepped up.

Needless to say he has returned it and moving to the RMR.

I was very excited to buy a RMS as they co-witness with stick height sights. I was happy to shave a few hundred buck off the cost of the sight, and again shave another $100 off the cost by not having to replace the trijicon night sights I already had on the pistol.

If Gabe had them in stock a few months ago I would have bough them and cut my MP9c.

Some things happen for a reason. I did not buy the sight, but the cash was burning a hole in my pocket so I re-did the research.. and found LOTS more scratching issues... and LOTS more water intrusion issues.

I am very happy I did not buy one. I have been selling off lots of "good stuff" to put the money together to build my RMR Glock. But when I am done I will have the "Ferrari of guns" that will make a ZEV look over it shoulder.

Buy once cry once...

Gabe made no bones about the fact that the RMS is not as robust as the RMR.

The RMS on a G43 is a specialty weapon. It's not meant to take to war, it's not meant to muck around in trenches. It's meant as a precision tool for proactive situations requiring deep concealment.

It's window is plastic, and so requires more care than glass. I've had mine for several months now and somehow I've managed not to scratch it.

If the RMS is meant for a "general purpose" pistol like the G19...well, one has to accept the fact that it needs to be babied more than an RMR.

I am hard on most of my equipment but I go out of my way to keep my expensive optics clean and free from scratches. If something happens to them in a real event, so be it, but I find that it's not difficult to keep them in good shape during training.

If I had a Porsche, I wouldn't treat it like a Jeep. More importantly, I wouldn't expect it to perform like one.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Despite the glass scratching complaints, I do hope SI continues to sell the RMS sight for G43 applications. I need to pick one up myself, it's just been lower priority than other things. I'm of the same mindset as Brent, in the knowledge that sometimes the best tool available for the job still isn't perfect, but by accounting for the imperfections (like easily scratched lenses) you can still get good performance.

At the same time, I'm looking forward to better sights that I hope optics companies will develop in the future, particularly something RMS sized with better durability. I know the tribe here will continue looking for the best as new products are developed.

Quote Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
    At the same time, I'm looking forward to better sights that I hope optics companies will develop in the future, particularly something RMS sized with better durability. I know the tribe here will continue looking for the best as new products are developed.
    +1!

I agree...but I also think the only way this will happen is through customer demand. It's expensive and risky to develop new products...and the best products are not always the ones that sell. Companies need to hear feedback that better products are wanted, but more important than that, customers have to put their money where their mouth is.

I think there's a lot of room for development in the red dot world...but most of what proliferates are lower quality optics. I can see why most companies would rather sell thousands of cheaper optics than a few high-end performers.

I'm told that the new generation of RMRs have much better connections, so that's a hopeful sign.

I heard rumors over a year ago about a micro-dot that sounded very exciting, from an established manufacturer, but so far nothing has come of it.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Hello
    new to forum. Had poor experiance with the RMS also.

My friend told me to post here.

Bought an RMS from Brownells. Shot about 300 rounds. Dot started to flicker. Buddy told me to tape it up. Did but after another 200 rounds it died completely. Lights out and nobody home.

Luckly I bought it from Borwnells and got my money back. Now have and RMR.