Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The only course of action is to cast the chamber. It's easy to do. Any competent gunsmith can do it or you can buy a chunk of the casting alloy and DIY. No one on any forum can tell you what round that rifle fires from looking at it.

It has definitely been rebarreled. Good call on 7x57, didn't consider that, and it makes more sense. Great chambering. It is definitely a sporterized military Mauser 98. Dead giveaway is the receiver cut for stripper clips.

Quote Originally Posted by ronlassit View Post
    It has definitely been rebarreled. Good call on 7x57, didn't consider that, and it makes more sense. Great chambering. It is definitely a sporterized military Mauser 98. Dead giveaway is the receiver cut for stripper clips.
    not necessarilly, it could just as easily be a Gewehr 98

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

Quote Originally Posted by Beoceorl View Post
    You're right. The bend in the bolt is all wrong for a P14 or P17.
    ???? its not hard to bend a bolt handle to your liking. If this is truly a custom build you need to look at it as such. a bolt handle will tell you nothing. It can be removed, bent and otherwise modified to fit the shooters needs

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

Could be a G 98, but the bent bolt handle was standard to the K and from the second pic I am pretty sure it is the original bolt to the gun as it does appear to have the serial number stamped into the bolt as is correct for the military rifles. The bolt was contoured slightly to the rear . Decent looking sporterized 98.

Quote Originally Posted by ronlassit View Post
    Could be a G 98, but the bent bolt handle was standard to the K and from the second pic I am pretty sure it is the original bolt to the gun as it does appear to have the serial number stamped into the bolt as is correct for the military rifles. The bolt was contoured slightly to the rear . Decent looking sporterized 98.
    and? i bent the handle on my G98, had to learn and it was an action i had available

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    SEMPER FI