Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by apamburn View Post
    ha.

*sulks in corner while pounding down some chicken*

When you initially suggested the 1.5 * LBM calculation I did increase my protein intake, but clearly not enough. Turns out when you said 1.5 * LBM, what you really meant was 1.5 * LBM, not 'some more but less than what I suggested' lol...I just adjusted my tracking tool so I will be getting about 200 gr of protein daily. Today I'm up to 82 at lunch. This is a minimum, and since it's harder for the body to process proteins you will actually burn more calories from it than you would from other sources of energy, drink lots of water and don't be afraid of fat. If you get the squirts just add cheese for more fats to balance your digestive system.

I've been eating Almonds- usually 1 oz a day or so. But the more I look at their nutritional values, I have to ask...what good are they? calories in one oz of almonds == calories in 1 chicken breast (approx). The protein content of a chicken breast blows almonds out of the water...why eat them? I'm going to stop, I think. They have healthy fats that will help keep you from getting the squirts with high protein intake. I'd stay on them

Speaking of which, is chicken kind of the king of low cal / high protein food? I've been looking at other protein sources: pork, steak, eggs, etc...None of them seem as "high yield" as chicken. Nope, if I'm bulking I use beef but cutting I use chicken and eggs

And on the diet vs lifestyle mentality: I have been trying to make intentional, results-driven, permanent, changes to the way I eat and the things that I do. Part of that, previously, was to be pretty careful during the week, then during the weekend to relax a little on what I eat. That clearly isn't working either, so I'll change the algorithm. When you start I recommend going 30-45 days without a cheat day. This will make it a habit and gives your body time to adjust to the change, you'll find that after this period your cravings will drop away unless they're right in front of you. Peer pressure of "one day won't mess up your diet" comments will be the hardest thing to deal with along with the carb hang over. Trust me go 30+ days and don't look back

Greg I really appreciate your input.
    Again
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    Again
    Once again, much appreciated.

Almonds and nuts in general are good but they are calorically dense. Watch out you don't overdo them.

200+ grams of protein everyday. Period. Get it in first.

Then start playing with the calorie intake after that. You'll find that you're likely bringing in not only too many carbs, but calories due to those carbs.

Eat for fuel, not entertainment. You wouldn't put cheap gas in a German performance car. Treat your body the same.

Since you said "unfortunately" about your trip, that's a "tell" that you have already psychologically given in and given up on food discipline in the trip before you ever walked out the door.

Don't want to eat crap? Don't eat crap. It's all mental. You have to want it. If you don't want it enough to be disciplined about it, you'll never get it.

May I suggest you listen to a few episodes of the Jocko Podcast and focus on your discipline before you consider doing anything else. I think you already know what you need to know. The rest is mental on your part.
    LIVING > FIRED > JAIL > DEAD

DISCIPLINA EST LIBERTATEM
    KRG, HRO: Team Tactics 1/2, CRG, HRO: CQB/Team Tactics, Defensive Knife, TMCO

T
    WOTU Since 2012

Quote Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
    Almonds and nuts in general are good but they are calorically dense. Watch out you don't overdo them.

Right now I'm eating 1 oz of Almonds daily, no more. I'll change it if I have reason to but I think it's a reasonable quantity. It amounts to about 150 cals.

200+ grams of protein everyday. Period. Get it in first.

Then start playing with the calorie intake after that. You'll find that you're likely bringing in not only too many carbs, but calories due to those carbs.

Eat for fuel, not entertainment. You wouldn't put cheap gas in a German performance car. Treat your body the same.

Since you said "unfortunately" about your trip, that's a "tell" that you have already psychologically given in and given up on food discipline in the trip before you ever walked out the door.

Don't want to eat crap? Don't eat crap. It's all mental. You have to want it. If you don't want it enough to be disciplined about it, you'll never get it.

I have heard things like this said by people before and maybe I'm not quite 'there.' The way I see it, many times eating is as much a social / cultural activity as it is simply to fuel your body. To be blunt, I'm not a robot and I have no intention of ceasing participation in those (important to me) social and cultural activities. At my Brother In Law's wedding I'm not going to sit at the reception table with a protein shake and turn down the food being served because I don't want to eat any carbs. I'm not going to pass up on stuffing or mashed potatoes on Thanksgiving.

Instead, at such events I'll use my freaking head and not act like a pig at a feeding trough. I'll be sure to eat more of the good stuff and less of the bad stuff. And aside from special occasions I intend to continue to iteratively refine my behaviors until I get the results I want.

When I used the term "unfortunately" and mentioned my upcoming trip I was referring to the fact that it will be a change of routine, a few social dinners, and some travel eating. Those will all require me to adapt. But by no means did I mean that I'm just going to just stop what I've started doing now.

If that constitutes lack of discipline on my part in your opinion...well, okey dokey then.

May I suggest you listen to a few episodes of the Jocko Podcast and focus on your discipline before you consider doing anything else. I think you already know what you need to know. The rest is mental on your part.

I certainly won't argue that I need to improve discipline. I'll take a look at the podcast and take what I can from it.
    Bold.

Thanks for the input.

I have heard things like this said by people before and maybe I'm not quite 'there.' The way I see it, many times eating is as much a social / cultural activity as it is simply to fuel your body. To be blunt, I'm not a robot and I have no intention of ceasing participation in those (important to me) social and cultural activities. At my Brother In Law's wedding I'm not going to sit at the reception table with a protein shake and turn down the food being served because I don't want to eat any carbs. I'm not going to pass up on stuffing or mashed potatoes on Thanksgiving. This is exactly what I do do. But I tend to be extreme in all things and am seeking extreme results. Keep doing what you're doing.

Instead, at such events I'll use my freaking head and not act like a pig at a feeding trough. I'll be sure to eat more of the good stuff and less of the bad stuff. And aside from special occasions I intend to continue to iteratively refine my behaviors until I get the results I want. Plan. Plan for the events to take them as a cheat day and you'll be fine, I'm not turning down pumpkin pie at TG.

When I used the term "unfortunately" and mentioned my upcoming trip I was referring to the fact that it will be a change of routine, a few social dinners, and some travel eating. Those will all require me to adapt. But by no means did I mean that I'm just going to just stop what I've started doing now. Yep, just pay attention to what you're getting. You have to train your mind to look at the offerings differently or you'll order what you've always ordered.

If that constitutes lack of discipline on my part in your opinion...well, okey dokey then.
    Red
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

People at my office know I don't eat donuts, cake, or any other such unproductive food. Take a stand and make the change. If there is a question don't eat carbs with the meal. You need protein and veggies. If I was at a wedding I would have a slab of prime rib, salad with minimal dressing and a veggie. I would not eat appetizers, mashed potatoes, cake, or any other garbage. If I drank, it would be my usual- vodka with club soda. I am like Greg in that I have no issue going feet first into anything I am interested in. I haven't had a sugary soda in probably 10 years. They now disgust me, even the diet ones. If I knew I was going to have a gluttonous cheat meal, I would have paid the man with hill sprints and strength work.

Discovered last night that seafood has pretty good protein yields too.

The Pollock fillets I had for lunch, for example, were 60 cals each and provided 20 gr protein each.

That's pretty close to what you get out of chicken.

A can of Tuna in water has like 90g (most are 3 servings per can), put some salt and pepper on it and suck it down.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

"Extreme" or "discipline" is all the same to me, really. You have a goal, so have a plan that works. No plan is a plan to fail to reach that goal, or at least a setback.

I know when I allow little things to creep back in, it doesn't take long before I realize I'm in debt "to the man" (paraphrasing twinboysdad above).
    LIVING > FIRED > JAIL > DEAD

DISCIPLINA EST LIBERTATEM
    KRG, HRO: Team Tactics 1/2, CRG, HRO: CQB/Team Tactics, Defensive Knife, TMCO

T
    WOTU Since 2012