Default AAR: HITS-2: Defensive Pistol Marksmanship - Garrettsville OH

August 13 class in Garrettsville Ohio. I have had a number of classes with John McCreery before, including this one. I was retaking it for the benefit of my son who too young the first time I took it and my experiences with Mr McCreery were very good. Got there and discovered the class was very small, 3 of us, no problem. The disappointment was finding out that Mr McCreery was having some health issues and would not be there for most of the class. However, Eric Tull came over from Iowa and jumped into the breach....and did not miss a step. The class location was new for me, and I liked it, nice drive there, and somewhat secluded in a heavily forested area. There were other groups there, but we never saw them, only heard them. The class was very well organized, as usual. All the techniques that were taught were not only demonstrated very well, but a lot of effort went into explaining why Suarez's techniques were superior over others, I felt that added a lot of value to the class. Mr Tull put in a lot of individual attention to shaping the attendees into competent and confident shooters with several drills repeated until everyone was comfortable with their performance. John returned later in the day and joined in with his instruction. I had spent most of the day off to the side deferring Eric and John's attending to the other students, including my son. I confessed to them that I was a little concerned with my accuracy, and the two turned their attention to me and found a couple of techniques that they corrected in very short order.

Even though I had taken a couple of advanced classes with John and felt very good about them, this intro class was done so well that I was very grateful to repeat it. My son was very impressed with what he was able to walk away with also. All in all, everything about this class was a winner.

I've had the pleasure of working with Eric on two occasions now. We are really lucky to have him as an addition to our staff. He really breaks down all of the concepts and techniques into easily understandable and actionable methods. I know he has some classes coming up in Iowa, don't miss if you are in that area. One more plus to Eric for making this trip on a last minute notice. A reschedule would probably made for a missed opportunity for some of the students.

As always, a pleasure to see RGW13 and nice to see him handing down his fighting attitude to the next generation.
    www.ohioppt.com
    Twitter @Ohioppt

What a great class! You guys came ready to learn and to work hard. Major props to rgw13 for bringing his son with him to class. HITS-2 focuses on the foundational material for shooting, and you guys completely absorbed it. This is the stuff you'll use to build on the rest of your training, or as a refresher. We had a nice mix of students from rgw13, who's already taken 5 or so SI classes, to the other two students, who hadn't taken a ton of classes yet. You guys are definitely ready for the high-speed upper level classes, and hopefully John or another instructor will see you at a CRG-2 or CRG-4 down the road.

We also had enough time to break out the Glock PDW, which I believe everyone agreed is an awesome weapon, and got to shoot my red dot pistol.

And thank you, John, for trusting me with your class while you were recovering from cancer-AIDS (or a really nasty kidney infection, whatever). :)

Thanks again for taking an entire day to come train to be more dangerous.
    Last edited by Eric Tull; 08-16-2017 at 11:58 AM.
    Suarez International Staff Instructor, Iowa

"EVERY MAN IS A COUNTER TERRORIST." --Gabe Suarez
    "It's not the will to win that matters--everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." --Paul "Bear" Bryant
    "Love of theory is the root of all evil." --William M. Briggs

Formerly "ericmt"

"It's not the will to win that matters--everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." --Paul "Bear" Bryant

Formerly "ericmt"

Formerly "ericmt"

Nicely done gang!
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

I'll leave my AAR here as well. I'm a new shooter and just received my Ohio CCW at the end of April with John McCreery. I was looking for a class geared toward new gun owners and HITS -2 did not disappoint!

My equipment for class:
    pistol - FNH - FNS9mm
    belt - alien gear
    pistol/mag hoslter - red earth concealment
    approx rounds used - 250

First, hats off to Eric Tull for driving all the way from Iowa to the middle of nowhere Ohio farm country so our class would not be postponed! My impressions of class are the same as rgw13, Eric was professional and organized, and all techniques were explained with a reason as to why we do it this way. All the techniques built upon each other to create a final smooth finish which we drilled and dry fired until we felt comfortable with Eric correcting us along the way. They even put us through a little torture test at the end. ;) I was a little nervous at the beginning, but by the end of class I felt pretty confident that I could handle my pistol in a safe and responsible manner. I'll be planning on taking additional Suarez classes in the future.

Thanks for a great class Eric & John!

Thanks, Travis! It was a pleasure having you in class! You did a great job and are more than ready for advanced Suarez courses.

Formerly "ericmt"