Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My first quest was WHY a Taser? A burst of 9mm would have settled that problem without a trial

My assessment is that this officer is a genuinely nice man who was not prepared to fight that day.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

2, 11, 16. And a wakeup.

One question I have is what can a cop do in the beginning that could have altered it? When the guy wasn't being compliant what would the warrior response be?

After the fight started the cop just ran away and didn't even get in the fight. Near as I can tell he just ran out in the open all the way back to his car.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator

TWOTU since May 2015

Here's another example of running away instead of getting in the fight. This suspect could have easily shot both in the back if so inclined/skilled. The officer makes a good shot eventually but I wonder what the suspect was doing, since he never fired a shot.

It's a long video so you might not watch the whole thing, but basically the officer who knocked on the door says he saw the guy coming toward the door pointing a gun at it.

Quote Originally Posted by mike135 View Post
    Here's another example of running away instead of getting in the fight. This suspect could have easily shot both in the back if so inclined/skilled. The officer makes a good shot eventually but I wonder what the suspect was doing, since he never fired a shot.

It's a long video so you might not watch the whole thing, but basically the officer who knocked on the door says he saw the guy coming toward the door pointing a gun at it.

Damn! That was a nice shot. Probably 30 yds, one shot kill. Nicely done.

Some people might disagree. But the dude came out with a gun....he found what he was looking for.
    Isaiah 54:17

Deus dea traballo, dixo o enterrador.

A question from a non-LEO.
    How accurate are Tasers at the range shown in the vid??? Could you face-shoot someone at that distance? Any empirical data as to whether or not that has a greater effect or not? (I guess it's hoping for too much to try and hit both eyes?:)

geezer john

Quote Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
    A question from a non-LEO.
    How accurate are Tasers at the range shown in the vid??? Could you face-shoot someone at that distance? Any empirical data as to whether or not that has a greater effect or not? (I guess it's hoping for too much to try and hit both eyes?:)

geezer john
    You can. We're trained not to. Current training is to split the belt line, looking to hit an upper leg so as to avoid getting a prong in the crook's junk. The probes are designed to diverge vertically.

From experience, heavy clothing means the probes don't penetrate/set and you may not get a circuit, or get one that is easily disconnected.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

2, 11, 16. And a wakeup.

Just to add to the Taser/face issue--You don't want the probes that close together. The wider apart the better for an electrical "grab"--although for that incident I think I might have gone for a face shot just out of FU.

I don't know the back story on WHY he wanted to talk to the guy; but my feelings are a Taser is NOT the way to approach the guy. IF he needed Tasing them F-ing TAZE him and the back is a great place to hit him VS if he didn't have enough for the Taser but felt a threat (even if he couldn't say why) then go in with a real gun and transition to a Taser if that was better after being sure a real gun wasn't necessary.

My gut also says he was using the Taser because he had either been lied to about how wonderful they are OR if he had been "talked to" about use of force in the past. The body cam was purchased by the officer, so I'm guessing he did it because of past complaints--I hope I'm wrong on all accounts but I know about asshole bosses and how Internal Affairs works

A few observations:

- The BG drew from concealment, fired, and busted off the X. Almost textbook.
    - The cop had zero command presence from the moment he pulled up. The target was increasing distance the entire time, making the cop reactive instead of dictating the conditions of the fight. I'm thinking the solution starts by parking the squad car in the direction of travel, then immediately going to guns and being loud, commanding, and in his face. A few strategically placed f-bombs to emphasize the point that you're about to shoot him in the face are probably warranted.
    - There's 2 targets: Camo and Red. He never gives Red a second (and barely a first) look. That could have been really bad; I think he got lucky Red didn't want to fight too.

As noted above, I bet the officer is a real nice guy... unfortunately that doesn't mean jack staring down a pistol barrel.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    She asked me to whisper the three words every little girl wants to hear when they grow up. So I told her "I'm a pilot."

"You know what ol' Jack Burton says at a time like this... What the hell...."

I do not live in the US.
    Is there a number of warnings that the officer has to give before taking action?