Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    Indeed, my last memorable punch was a body shot from you through a pad that left me a bit woozy for the remainder of the day. That was a first.
    Impact baby. ;)

Phone books are a wonderful training tool. If the puncher only "pushes" the punch, the receiver doesn't feel much through the phone book. If the puncher knows how to hit with "shock", it penetrates and the receiver can give feedback. If the receiver says "that's enough"...well that's pretty good feedback. ;)

Most people push, rather than punch. A pushing punch is still enough to knock you out if it's a good shot to the head...but I've never been one to accept "good enough".
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    Impact baby. ;)

Phone books are a wonderful training tool. If the puncher only "pushes" the punch, the receiver doesn't feel much through the phone book. If the puncher knows how to hit with "shock", it penetrates and the receiver can give feedback. If the receiver says "that's enough"...well that's pretty good feedback. ;)

Most people push, rather than punch. A pushing punch is still enough to knock you out if it's a good shot to the head...but I've never been one to accept "good enough".
    And.....

Too much "friendly" sparring in the dojo sometimes leads to "surface" punching instead of "punching through" the opponent - not good.

geezer john

Quote Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
    And.....

Too much "friendly" sparring in the dojo sometimes leads to "surface" punching instead of "punching through" the opponent - not good.

geezer john
    IMNSHO, "free sparring" is counter productive, for just that reason (among others).

Yes, there's value to sparring but the cost outweighs the benefit. Aside from potential injury and training downtime, which is significant, I think it makes people less effective at fighting.

Sparring doesn't make us good at fighting; it makes us good at sparring. It conditions us to sparring distance and sparring timing, neither of which have much if anything to do with fighting at assault distance/timing.

Worst of all, unless you train regularly with armor, it conditions most people to hit poorly. Without armored headgear, punches to the head must be pulled. If the majority of your training is sparring, you have more experience missing targets than hitting them.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Gun Mutt hit me in the face during our Systema group. But its been a few years... If he hits me anytime soon, I'd buy him a scotch. Or bourbon. We were supposed to give real shots.

I think if some of the attorneys I have been working with had been poked a few times they'd be less arrogant. Lawyers seem to think every fist fight ends in a successful criminal conviction. It has been said before, dueling societies are polite societies.

Getting hit is a common part of martial arts training and I don't really keep track of it.

I generally remember the more painful or injurious incidents whether they are hits, throws, chokes, etc.

The things that caused the most injury were throws from a joint lock or choke.

There was also that time in Dec 2003 when we were having a battle with bokken, spears, etc. and when our lines met some retard threw a wooden tanto in my face.
    "Why should I trade one tyrant 3,000 miles away for 3,000 tyrants one mile away. An elected legislature can trample a man's rights as easily as the king can." Benjamin Martin, The Patriot

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    Yes, there's value to sparring but the cost outweighs the benefit. Aside from potential injury and training downtime, which is significant, I think it makes people less effective at fighting.

Sparring doesn't make us good at fighting; it makes us good at sparring. It conditions us to sparring distance and sparring timing, neither of which have much if anything to do with fighting at assault distance/timing.
    It may be worth pointing out that fencers spend about 2/3rds of their time on drills, not free fencing. Free play is good for tactics but corrosive of technique.

It has been a while and I DO NOT plan on letting it happen again any time soon
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!

You guys have some good thoughts, for sure. MY point was that many (too many) of todays more affluent kids had never had the "pleasure" of feeling the pain for being an asshole. That lack of knowledge makes them think it doesn't exist. In their tiny little bubble it doesn't but in the real world its there in huge volumes.

I don't think training counts (for THS point), if only because we expect some contact and if we occasionally get hit harder its an accident. Its got nothing to do with being stupid, (only training mistakes).

THIS concept is about to failings of society or maybe only one part of it--because ghetto kids DO get it, and yet very few ghetto kids are "abused". Its the middle and upper class kids that wont ride a bike without knee/elbow pads and don't forget the helmet. Its moms that wont let their sons play football because they might get hurt, so they push them into soccer because "that's safer" (even if its not safer--its because the moms think its safer). Its closing schools when the weather says its gonna snow tomorrow, instead of waiting to see IF it snows. Its the wear your seatbelt laws and campaigns and motorcycle helmet laws and all the other safety LAWS instead of REMINDERS.

THIS is why we have "safe zones" and "comfort puppies" and colouring books on college campuses. THIS is why and THIS is the end of the us we used to take for granted....

Goeie Dag Edel. Ek geniet jou Posts en die topics wat jy kies. hou so aan.

My recollections are both from Karate. One was on the competition floor and the second one while training at the Dojo.

The morning of the competition we were warned that if a guy from Cape Town that we called Big Carl was in a pool we should be careful. He was a Pre-Black at that stage and was giving everything he had in training getting ready for his grading.

I was holding my own during the round when suddenly...Bam my eyes shot full of tears and I could not see. I realized then that I just got popped in the face. I did not feel any pain and was trying to clear my vision while moving back to my line so I could see the next technique coming. While I was moving back the referee noticed blood tripping on my Gi and stopped the bout.

NOTE: It was the first time Carl had faced me and had misjudged his distance. We trained together a bunch of times after that and continued to compete at my Dojo`s yearly competition and he never hid me in the face again. Although he never held back/took it easy on me which I appreciated.

When he came up to me to apologize I thanked him because I learned some things about myself that day. That I did not freeze when I got punched in the face, I stayed in the fight mentally and that it did not take the will to fight (aggressiveness) out of me.

One night while training we were told to stand with our back against the wall and face the rest of the Dojo. They were then to line up in single file and attack with any technique of their choosing.

Again I was doing very well when Sane` did I perfect Step Over Reverse Punch and hid me on the nose hard. This one I felt, but was trying not to react worried that I would freak her out and cause here to stop training. I completed my turn and moved to the back of the line as one of the attackers.

This time I got the opportunity to continue to face a couple of attacks after I got popped. I was glad to see that I could still think clearly-Picking the most effective Counter Attack and that I was not tentative/hesitant, scared to get hit again. Blocking and Striking with aggressiveness. I also turned my chair immediately, facing my attackers at an angle never fighting square on again.

Sane apologized sincerely but only once. That made me really proud in the way we trained her. It showed me that the incident did not put here of fighting. I was confidant that if she was confronted she would not hold back but would fight here attacker aggressively, not scared to hurt him.

In a weird way it almost made me happy to get hit in the face for here benefit!

Cheers vir eers. Stuur groete vir die familie en Boetman.
    Elfie
    HALFMAN HALFCAR

I took a spinning back fist to the ear a few years ago. Totally knocked my equilibrium off so I took it to the ground and made him pay the grinder man, this monkey don't dance for free, he came out of the gate solid but not much for stamina. I think he thought that one trick would finish the fight.
    AKA: Fuzzy

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    Warlord of the TWOTU

IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.