Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    You guys have some good thoughts, for sure. MY point was that many (too many) of todays more affluent kids had never had the "pleasure" of feeling the pain for being an asshole. That lack of knowledge makes them think it doesn't exist. In their tiny little bubble it doesn't but in the real world its there in huge volumes.

My old boss was a great big country boy. We were eating dinner on a business trip in some big city, and some guy was being a royal asshole to the staff of the restaurant. My bosses comment was "That guy has never experienced a good old fashioned country ass kicking, if he had he would treat people better". I think there are a lot of people in this country that could use one of those good old fashioned ass kicking.

The negative point of Points Sparring/Sparring in the dojo for me was "Losing All the Time"-Knowing Not matter how hard I train/how hard I try I will never "win" a bout. This chipped away at myself confidence and those were the only times I seriously thought about giving up on training.

I really had to refocus hard on my training goals looking for positives that I could take away from the training whenever I sparred a lot. This became easier when I started using my Blades whenever I sparred. This mend that I could now reach my Sparring Partner. Giving me a chance to Stay in the Fight. It also mend that now suddenly my partner not only had to work harder to stay out of my reach it also became harder to get past my defence-I could really make them work hard. Preventing them from messing around with me, resting before we switched partners. This helped me a lot mentally. Knowing that I was helping my friends prepare for competition(I was not wasting their time)Although I got not compete I could be part of the process/tribe this way and not feel excluded. Especially if they told me that something we worked on/I showed them helped on the day.

It also helped that I did not feel like I was wasting valuable training time fighting in a way that I would never do on the street. I could now Pressure Test my Techniques against a whole bunch of Resisting opponents.

Now having had time to reflect I realize that I found a way to make Point Sparring work for me and did not have any guidance/were given any specific drills or exercises by my Instructors/Seniors to help me.

This is were a lot of instructors miss a great opportunity to teach their junior students a valuable lesson. By giving them specific drills and exercises that they need to practice at home-addressing each students training needs(Guiding Them)they can show them that with hard work they can become the Martial Artist, Fighter that they dreamed of being. When the students start to notice improvements in the way they fight/perform the techniques.

Teaching them ownership and personal responsibility for their training.
    HALFMAN HALFCAR

Quote Originally Posted by firebird6 View Post
    It has been said before, dueling societies are polite societies.
    No, what is said is that *armed* societies are polite societies.

Dueling societies tended to be extremely stratified and there was no way (generally) that a commoner or peasant was going to challenge someone three or four steps up the food chain. In fact that was one of the valid reasons for refusing a challenge--that that challenger was sufficiently inferior socially.

All you had to be polite to was your near-peers and your "betters". And the further down hierarchy you were, well, s*t rolls down hill.