Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SIG P320 Drop

Fumbled my G19 once. Hit the hardwood floor muzzle up. No kidding, I was looking right down the barrel as it hit... My name is Dave McIntyre and I approve of this message.

Quote Originally Posted by Pict View Post
    Fumbled my G19 once. Hit the hardwood floor muzzle up. No kidding, I was looking right down the barrel as it hit... My name is Dave McIntyre and I approve of this message.
    not gonna lie, i'd put mine in the door pocket of the truck it bounce around in the back trails, id step out after, not realizing it had bounced out of the pocket and it'd hit the deck. its happened at least 7 times, always on the ass end of the slide, never gone off.

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

Last night I took my 320 and put in a primed casing. I have a hard rubber mat and pounded the shit out of it, but it never fired. Yes the mat could make the difference, but I am not going to drop it on purpose on to concrete. I have had several Sigs and never had a problem with them before. This P320 I had to send back as the trigger would not always reset when firing. I called told them what problem I had, they sent me a shipping label. It arrived on a Tuesday and I had it back by that Friday. I have about 500-600 through it since then. The only issue I had was when I went to shoot left handed only using my left hand I limp wristed it. Corrected my issue and it never happened again.

I think that drop tests should include all angles.

Thing is shit happens in manufacturing, I understand this I work in a R&D / test facility. It is about how the company responds to the issue. Seen many times where the engineer has a solution or the correct way, but the bean counters get involved. Hell I had a hell of a time dealing with Beretta on a Laramie that I hadn't fired. That soured me on that company with their piss pour customer service. You all point at Glock, but Glock has had a few problems too "recoil spring". The point is they took care of it as a good company should.

I appreciate the knowledge here, and I try to read any learn, but the snide comments many times are worthless. Granted sometimes they are funny, but I like the posts that explain a reason why. I see many posts that go like this "I was wonder about Blah blah blah." response post "That shit sucks as much as you with a bag of dicks! buy real stuff". As an example of a well thought out post I really like to read Brent's posts. From what I have seen he responds to said person with "I have found that this doesn't work or works subpar and this is why I spend more money or have gone with this product. When I read that I have a better understanding and it helps with critical thinking, not just that so and so said that crap sucks. Although when the same question gets asked over and over I can understand the annoyance specially if it is in a sticky.

Martin
    Common sense is not a common virtue!

The continual jabs saying "well don't use your gun as a hammer" and "don't buy cheap crap" make intelligent people look like neckbeard instagrammers. Obviously no one is using their pistol to drive nails on a daily basis, but isn't this the same website that advocated pushups on AK mags just a few years ago?

Expensive and nice things can have mechanical flaws. The P320 isn't a freaking Hi-Point and no one bought one because a Glock was more expensive. The problem, which is coincidentally shared by Agency Arm's Glock trigger, is caused by either short-sighted engineering or a simple lack of proper safety features.

When I discussed the problem of semi-autos getting pushed out-of-battery when pressure is applied to the muzzle, I was met with "well don't press your gun into someone to shoot" or "I use a revolver for that purpose". Really? If a gun does something I do not expect or do not wish to occur, it is a design flaw to me, the user. I want better gear, I don't want to adapt my behavior to flaws the gear has. Problems exist differently for different people in different contexts.

Some people are as content with the nature of their chosen gear as others are with bench shooting.
    You shouldn't be thinking 'oh God, I'm in a gunfight', you should be saying 'THANK GOD I'M IN A GUNFIGHT!' " - Gabe Suarez

"The man becomes the weapon, everything else is a tool" -Sonny P

Which semi auto won't go out of battery when pushed up against someone?
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by baker View Post
    Well, very few if any, but it's a flaw nonetheless. Some gas-delayed-blowback types might not.
    Last edited by DeltaCadet84; 08-10-2017 at 01:49 PM.
    You shouldn't be thinking 'oh God, I'm in a gunfight', you should be saying 'THANK GOD I'M IN A GUNFIGHT!' " - Gabe Suarez

"The man becomes the weapon, everything else is a tool" -Sonny P

Ok I've stayed out of this one for a number of reasons but I think now is a good time to weigh in due to some of the responses as well as what I perceive as butt-hurt over a given choice so here's a couple of thoughts.

1) I purchased a pair of PT 24/7 OSSs when they first came out when Taurus entered the polymer market (2009/10 ish) because they were new and I wanted to check them out. I took them to a couple of classes and ran them hard and they were good guns, reliable and accurate, with a decent trigger. However in a 4 day class one of them had a mechanical failure that locked the slide up and when I finally got it off it launched the guide rod over the berm due to a design flaw in the captured spring. It was threaded and the threads backed out due to recoil. After finding the rod I screwed it back together with red locktite and immediately sold both pistols. I had a solution that was likely permanent and was unlikely to occur again but that's never happened with any Glock I've ever owned and I've only experienced 1 mechanical failure with a Glock and that was with a Gen2 with somewhere around a half million rounds through it and the gun could still be made to work. The point is that I wasn't emotionally invested in my purchase, it was just a tool that didn't fit my needs so it went by the way side.

2) There are times that you do need to make procedural adjustments in your actions to account for a mechanical limitation. For example, yes pressing a semi auto into something can push it out of battery, if you've ever taken CRG-3 you would know that there are 5 ways of dealing with this issue. First- don't press it into someone, second- press to ensure target, then pull away and shoot, third- Flag your thumb behind the slide, press and shoot, fourth- grab the slide and shoot, lastly block the back of the slide with something solid (like your chest) and shoot.

3) Questions and topics that are repeated over, over, over, and over again. Even when qualified experts have written pages worth of information on a topic does get really old. It's like I can revive an article every 6 months and it will be treated like it's new. Doing AK push ups are a damn sight different than a weapon that discharges when dropped.

4) last thought is that I can't even remember the last time I've dropped a gun on accident, I couldn't even tell you. The fact that it's common enough that they have added a feature to modern firearms to prevent a discharge if dropped is mind boggling to me.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

This is the most recent semi-auto pistol I can think of that won't. See my above post.

Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

P9S?
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

247. And a wakeup.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    P9S?
    If Im pushing my P9S against someone, they better be smiling ;)

Had one in .45 for a short time. Along with VP-70z and a p7psp
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time