Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    Even if they don't suspect that you are a 'prohibited person,' they may still conclude that you are "one of those people." In my area, the police and prosecutors use the name "Constitutionalist" as a derogatory term. Elsewhere, I have heard the term "Sovereign Citizen." It doesn't help to be lumped in with the tinfoil-hat-wearing crowd.

As a non-licensee (non-FFL), you are not legally required to mark a non-NFA firearm that you manufactured for your own personal use. But the ATF still recommends doing so. From a practical perspective, there really isn't a great reason to not do so. For an NFA item, it must be marked with the city and state of manufacture, as well as a serial number. If you follow that model, and engrave your finished 80% gun (now 100% gun) with city/state and a serial number, it looks a little less suspicious. It's not like this number is on file anywhere. There is no record of manufacture. Indeed, there is no one checking to make sure that the city/state is even correct. You could engrave the name of a city that is 2,000 miles away. By marking the gun, you accomplish two things: (a) the gun now appears a little less dodgy, and (2) if the gun is ever lost or stolen, you can include the identifying marks in the police report.

There are other reasons that may discourage you from marking the gun. But marking it is an option, and it would be a reasonable step for many people.
    This is academic for me as I cant own the poly 80 pct pistol reciever. If you build one as an Alaska resident, can you say take it to Montana if you move?

Quote Originally Posted by Francisp View Post
    This is academic for me as I cant own the poly 80 pct pistol reciever. If you build one as an Alaska resident, can you say take it to Montana if you move?
    How can you not own a piece of plastic?

"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle

While I can see that it might be fun to make one of these, it strikes me that the NPE places that would seem attractive to have one are also the places where you are the most screwed if you ever use it. Carrying one makes about as much sense as wearing a Concealed Carry Badge. Best case: You look like suspicious. Worst case: Well the badge is gay'er than two guys fucking. And you will get to see what that is like first hand.

I also discovered a while ago that it is worth it to see if accessories such as holsters are available for a particular gun before buying one. Building one of these because it is inexpensive will either mean you use a cheap Uncle Mikes cloth holster to carry it or you pay a boatload for a custom holster from a reputable maker. I guess if you are building your own to save $100 I know which one you use anyway.

At the end of the day the "other reason" is many in the gun industry are cheapskate bastards that will overlook the open boils on the cheap hooker because she is such a good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntindoc View Post
    While I can see that it might be fun to make one of these, it strikes me that the NPE places that would seem attractive to have one are also the places where you are the most screwed if you ever use it. Carrying one makes about as much sense as wearing a Concealed Carry Badge. Best case: You look like suspicious. Worst case: Well the badge is gay'er than two guys fucking. And you will get to see what that is like first hand.

I also discovered a while ago that it is worth it to see if accessories such as holsters are available for a particular gun before buying one. Building one of these because it is inexpensive will either mean you use a cheap Uncle Mikes cloth holster to carry it or you pay a boatload for a custom holster from a reputable maker. I guess if you are building your own to save $100 I know which one you use anyway.
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
    How can you not own a piece of plastic?
    After its turned into a reciever? Thats illegal in NJ. Its illegal manufacturing here but thats not my question. If you make it in one state, can you move it to another?

Quote Originally Posted by Francisp View Post
    After its turned into a reciever? Thats illegal in NJ. Its illegal manufacturing here but thats not my question. If you make it in one state, can you move it to another?
    It is lawful, as long as the firearm would otherwise be lawful in that jurisdiction. If you move to Montana, you take all of your guns. This is just another one of those guns. If you move to NYC....what do you do? Throughout Free America, once it is manufactured into a firearm it is just like any other gun--even if you don't engrave it with a serial number. But you are still subject to local rules. So if you move somewhere that requires you to register all of your guns and include a serial number, you won't be able to lawfully comply with that law unless you serialize it. The places where such a gun would be problematic are predictable. As long as you stay in Free America, you are fine.
    Virtute et Armis

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    It is lawful, as long as the firearm would otherwise be lawful in that jurisdiction. If you move to Montana, you take all of your guns. This is just another one of those guns. If you move to NYC....what do you do? Throughout Free America, once it is manufactured into a firearm it is just like any other gun--even if you don't engrave it with a serial number. But you are still subject to local rules. So if you move somewhere that requires you to register all of your guns and include a serial number, you won't be able to lawfully comply with that law unless you serialize it. The places where such a gun would be problematic are predictable. As long as you stay in Free America, you are fine.
    Thank you

I just read this thread. for most us time is worth something and having the best is important. Overall for a decent gun it does not cost so much for a decent 100% product. But I see the option is there for the 80% guns to add your own serial number which can be anything and not recorded on any list. Cops recover finished 80% gun and write down its meaningless serial number. Need to also add a maker's name to the gun also which can be anything. So if the authorities have this initial data there should not be any initial bad reaction relative to the gun itself.
    I have not made an 80% gun, just have better things to do with my time. But I can see some useful purposes for untraceable finished 80% ARs that I will not discuss here. none of these purposes are essential for my well being, but might be for other people living in other states.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

I've made a number of guns (no glocks). Because I like the challenge, things like a 1919a4, uzi (my uzi has Israeli Hebrew markings), things like that. Not stuff I carry, or use for home defense.
    I've also built 3 of my own suppressors (yes, papered and legal).
    Glocks and ars are cheaper bought than built, when you look at it, and your time.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations
    Class II/ 07 SOT Manufacturer
    Glock Advanced Armorer

Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers.
    Liberty is a Man-Of-War, and we are all crew.

At the end of the day...technically legal is not as relevant as the first impression you make. IMHO, the impression a homemade receiver makes is not a good one. The $100 you save...the cost of a good meal with the wife at a tier one restaurant, will not make up for the poor impression you make...one that may lead to you being listed as suspect.

Why this is even up for debate is astounding.
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters