Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default UNREGISTERED POLY RECEIVERS AND PROHIBITTED POSSESSION

So...with the KWTL book we are working on, we will inevitably have a chapter on weapons and what they may associate you with. I am not a believer that modified weapons will cause you brief like you-know-who. I think a good shooting is a good shooting and the homicide investigators we are collaborating with agree.

However, certain weapons may cast you in an unfavorable light during the initial police contact. We recall the "You're F*cked" dust cover as one poignant example. How about the unregistered, no serial number polymer home made receiver pistol?

The presumption is that since "normal people" can buy a pistol in most free states and take it home the very same day...and serial numbered receivers are always available, why would someone want an unregistered non-serial numbered weapon? The police presumption is that only prohibited possessors (ie., those who are not allowed to own guns) are likely the ones who would want such a thing since normal people can buy anything they wish.

I could be totally wrong...but I don't think I am.
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

I think it's a fair assumption, it's what I'd be thinking.

"This pistol has no serial number, Sarge." "Well, see if the lab can raise it and charge him for the defaced weapon." That's the initial reaction and accompanying mindset. Yeah, it'll be overcome when things are examined more closely. But remember what they say about first impressions? Not sure that's the background music you want to carry throughout our dealings.

"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle

Even if they don't suspect that you are a 'prohibited person,' they may still conclude that you are "one of those people." In my area, the police and prosecutors use the name "Constitutionalist" as a derogatory term. Elsewhere, I have heard the term "Sovereign Citizen." It doesn't help to be lumped in with the tinfoil-hat-wearing crowd.

As a non-licensee (non-FFL), you are not legally required to mark a non-NFA firearm that you manufactured for your own personal use. But the ATF still recommends doing so. From a practical perspective, there really isn't a great reason to not do so. For an NFA item, it must be marked with the city and state of manufacture, as well as a serial number. If you follow that model, and engrave your finished 80% gun (now 100% gun) with city/state and a serial number, it looks a little less suspicious. It's not like this number is on file anywhere. There is no record of manufacture. Indeed, there is no one checking to make sure that the city/state is even correct. You could engrave the name of a city that is 2,000 miles away. By marking the gun, you accomplish two things: (a) the gun now appears a little less dodgy, and (2) if the gun is ever lost or stolen, you can include the identifying marks in the police report.

There are other reasons that may discourage you from marking the gun. But marking it is an option, and it would be a reasonable step for many people.
    Virtute et Armis

I bought one once on impulse, on sale for $80 as I recall. Cheap but it felt good enough for a project gun. Honestly I didn't even think anything about it, certainly legal ramifications didn't cross my mind. It was just a matter of "Hey I could use another frame and for this price it's worth trying."

It hasn't been a high priority...it's still in the box.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

You can be totally within your rights and still be thought poorly of by those who will be writing the report. Sovereign Citizen, Threeper, Constitutionalist, etc., may be all well and good...and we may even agree with much of their sentiment...but is the police opinion of such people something you want to have to surmount when there is a dead guy in your doorway?

Incidentally, there are plenty of ways and places to buy pistols outside of the 4473 route if that is what you desire. The Poly 80 is not one of them IMHO.
    Gabe Suarez

I'm honestly insanely new to firearms. However, I would imagine that having a marked gun would be better than an unmarked gun for the reason stated above about the gun being traceable in the event it was stolen. However, not all of our states are free in terms of the 2nd amendment so I can also understand not wanting to have a traceable gun in those areas where they pick and choose what they believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by viper.jb50 View Post
    However, not all of our states are free in terms of the 2nd amendment so I can also understand not wanting to have a traceable gun in those areas where they pick and choose what they believe
    Well trust me that in today's day and age, using a weapon that is illegal in your area to kill another, legally or not, will not go well for you. Nor will you be able to fulfill the fantasy of ditching the weapon and disappearing like Jason Bourne. Third world maybe...here in the USA...sorry bro...that is just a fairy tale.
    Gabe Suarez

I always thought the purpose of the "Ghost Guns" was for when/where you couldn't get a "real" gun. OK sure some guys just wanted to see if they could build one; but the primary reason for wanting one was for wanting to stay anonymous and keeping the fact that you have a gun hidden. That being the case when you actually use it, then calling the PD to say that you used it lawfully, seems like a bad idea--kinda like a spy shooting a bad guy in N Korea, then calling the cops to report your a spy and you did it???

I get the wanting to keep the gummit from knowing you have a gun AND I get that you might need to use it BUT those two added together do NOT equal calling the police. Maybe that hurts you later assuming you get caught but it doesn't hurt more than getting killed because you didn't have a gun.

ASSUMING that you are in a sever NO GUN location, then using the gun when absolutely necessary may be the only option BUT calling the PD to report you used it is adding more shite to your already overstuffed shite sandwich. Nothing good will come out of it. In that same NO GUN zone using a knife or any weapon to defend yourself will likely be treated the same. A "Ghost Gun" will just be another lump of charges they tack on when/if they catch you.

In a gun friendly zone and being legally able to possess a handgun, I can see no reason to actually carry a "Ghost Gun".

"Ghost Guns" are in the same class as carrying a Cap & Ball gun because they done require paperwork to purchase and in the case of Cap & Ball guns aren't legally firearms. There ARE some places that they may be good ideas, just not where better guns are options.

For me it is about perfecting perfection. ;)

I have several G19s that I have sent out for grip reductions, stippling, undercuts, etc. Often to the tune of several hundred dollars (on top of the cost of the gun).

For $150 and an hour of my time I can get the same thing from Polymer80. I could care less if it has a serial number or not. If someone made a complete frame with the same features and a similar price, I would have no issue buying that. But nobody does.

I have several SBRs, SBS and suppressors. I have no doubts that I am already on "a list" somewhere. It's not about "ghost guns" for me, it's strictly about features and price.