Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Century AK Front Sight Issues

For the AK armorers. We all know that Century Intl. AK rifles have the off set front sight issues. Every example I've seen has a front sight tower that is canted. Even the VZ2008 rifles are the same.

If it was simple sloppy work, there would be variables (some would be to one side or the other, some right on), but sights are always canted in the same direction.

Are barrel detents off?

Thanks.

Century AKs are the Hi-Point or Jennings equivalent of an assault rifle. *slip away*
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    Century AKs are the Hi-Point or Jennings equivalent of an assault rifle. *slip away*
    True!

The top tier crowd responds to this question, "It's a piece of junk... stay away from it". The AK sycophant crowd says, "There's nothing wrong, move along".

But why?

It depends on what your expectations are.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

it's not a bargain if you have to spend a lot of $$$ to make it right.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Kansas
    Pistol Groundfighting, Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    It depends on what your expectations are.
    Expectations are key. Also, luck is a component. I had a Century-built Yugo years ago and it worked rather well. I bought it simply because I wanted to learn to run an AK. I expected it to have some flaws, and I never planned for it to be my go-to rifle. I ended up selling that rifle to a friend of a friend, but I never had any real complaints about it. The quality control of Century is virtually non-existent, which results in guns of widely varying craftsmanship. People most remember the lemons, but occasionally they produced a good one.

As to why the sights were regularly canted, I can offer no explanation.
    Virtute et Armis

I think hes asking WHY is it ALWAYS canted the SAME way--not is it a POS, not can it be fixed....I think he asking from a technical point of view....just something I picked up from Gabe always complaining that guys don't read the posts

Cat, to answer (or rather NOT answer your question); I don't know why. I always just learned to live with it. I have some great AKs made by great smiths; but I never expected them to be anything more than a AK--or any different from my Century guns. I suspect that a lot of the issued AKs were and probably still are being carried by soldiers WITH CANTED FRONT SIGHTS. Remember what the AK is and you wont expect it to be more, then become upset about it. Think of the AK as a cheaply made PPS43 that shoots a bigger round that's only intended to be used at just a little bit further than a SMG, and intended to be used with the same SMG tactics while fired on full auto.

Quote Originally Posted by EDELWEISS View Post
    I think hes asking WHY is it ALWAYS canted the SAME way--not is it a POS, not can it be fixed....I think he asking from a technical point of view....just something I picked up from Gabe always complaining that guys don't read the posts
    AMEN!

When I ask this question everyone gets defensive emotional like a bunch of girls! All I want to know is... (read the post)....Why.

The AK forum... They're a bunch of sycophants. They won't/can't answer the question.

I'm throwing it out there to Warrior Talk.
    Last edited by Cacti Rat; 08-04-2017 at 06:45 PM.

I do know that Century will fix a canted front sight if you call them on it. And while they're at it, they'll install an oversize pin, and add some extra hammer marks on the front sight, no extra charge. Considering how little I paid for it, I'm surprised it works at all.

As for why they're all sort of the same, I'm sure they're all done on the same bench, using the same misaligned fixture, followed by the same lack of quality control.
    Making the bad man go away since 1982.

Quote Originally Posted by DutchV View Post
    I do know that Century will fix a canted front sight if you call them on it. And while they're at it, they'll install an oversize pin, and add some extra hammer marks on the front sight, no extra charge.
    Don't mean to be rude, but... I don't own a Century rifle, I'm not calling them for sh*t. But... They're the king of the AK market. WHY does the sight cant consistently happen.

I was kind of hoping that there was an AK armorer out there that would pause from bending their sheet metal flats and pounding rivets, that could answer the question.