Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    .....or we could just keep it old school SI: Saw evildoer doing evil and killed same.

This followed by what happened.

I'm ready for a new topic.

Quote Originally Posted by alistar View Post
    In common parlance, fear can mean a lot of things. We do need some agreement on terms. For example, I don't interpret DeBecker's Gift of Fear as being primarily about fear. I think his premise is rather the Gift of Developing Observation Skills and Appropriate Responses to Anomalous Events.

But who would buy that book?

Ironically, his insights actually point out how the social "fears" of seeming "rude" or the discomfort of changing our routine, can cancel out the self protective responses that are necessary when formulating a protective response to something that is not quite right in our environment.

DeBecker points out how these socialized monkey scripts, normal and commonplace in everyday interactions with others may actually create social danger when they are the default choice in an inappropriate situation. The correct response is suppressed: The young lady doesn't want to seem "rude" or "afraid" by not entering the elevator when the door opens on two strange men that make her uneasy, so she dismisses her well founded misgivings and gets in the elevator: A man notices he is being observed and mirrored as he walks his usual route, but doesn't cross the street or change direction because he doesn't want to appear "weak".

He may thus minimize his misgivings by suppressing his reaction, thinking "it's nothing", "I'm overreacting', or "why should I inconvenience myself by altering my route". The result, as DeBecker illustrates with vivid examples, is grim.
    Pretty much summarized the book right there.

To be even more brief...in situations of potential danger, listen to your gut and act accordingly.

Edited to add: I like Jonathan's point even better.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Kansas
    Pistol Groundfighting, Washington

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanNobody View Post
    .....or we could just keep it old school SI: Saw evildoer doing evil and killed same.

This followed by what happened.

I'm ready for a new topic.
    Well...that would be my thought, but certainly not what I would say after the fact.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Interestingly enough I think this is one of the more fascinating threads in recent history. Introspective analysis of the warrior core and how to express that to ones self and to those whom can't understand is something I can't recall having seen anywhere else. How does one convey what only takes momentary eye contact and a nod between many here to understand instantly to... anyone else. I know I have spent some time this evening and likely much more contemplating this topic.

It seems like a natural extension of mindset and being a complete warrior.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Default The Role of Emotion in a Violent Crime Investigation: Viewpoint of an Investigator

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    How come this seems to be such a difficult concept?
    The word fear has many nuances and levels or intensities.

Around the camp fire, I'd expect our articulation to focus on how much, or little, margin or risk we sensed we had during each OODA cycle.

You would still use the word "fear" with modifiers as a general term when speaking outside a trusted group or those of like skills and knowledge.

I've been shot at by an assortment of incoming and it certainly got my attention and action when it happened. There were always levels of fear or concern (like slinging 500 lb slick bombs from 900 ft agl under a 1000 ft cloud base between thunderstorms in indian country).

More recently, seeing the nose of that silver P-51 at full-throttle pointed at me at the Reno Air Races seemed a greater threat for a number of reasons. It presented a high risk of death with minimum options but didn't stop me from moving toward winning by getting off the fucking X and leading friends out of the accident site.

As others have said, fear is a broad term. Like Gabe at the 7-11, you know what it is and you respond with action. Doing nothing can, and will, get you dead.
    Last edited by Ted Demosthenes; 08-01-2017 at 01:00 AM.
    Ted Demosthenes
    Suarez International Staff Instructor

From Murphy's Laws of Combat: "Incoming has the right-of-way" (so, GTFOTX!!)

Quote Originally Posted by BJJ223 View Post

Hate that which is evil.

Perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by krav51 View Post
    Perfect.
    True, but "hate" should not be spoken in the after-the-fact theater of operations.
    Gabriel Suarez

Guys...always remember, use the appropriate tool for the appropriate job.

That's just as important with regards to thinking and speaking as it is with equipment. Probably more so.

As Musashi would say...think deeply on this.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Kansas
    Pistol Groundfighting, Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Beoceorl View Post
    Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared.--Eddie Rickenbacker

Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.--General Omar Bradley

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear.--Ambrose Redmoon

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.--Mark Twain

Defeat the fear of death and welcome the death of fear -- G. Gordon Liddy.

And I see....once again...people posting without reading. I suppose it is normal for modern america...as nothi g other people say is more important than your own opinions. Oh well.
    Gabriel Suarez