Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks guys. I love how this forum makes me focus on that which I need to focus on.

A little expression of fear is good. Here's the "why."

I will say that your presentation of this has to fit your discoverable background. Being a bit shaky may be all that is acceptable if this was your twelfth justified kill, but breaking down into tears would be unbelievable. If you are an accountant and never been in a fist fight much less a shooting, more emotion is,still believable.

In all things...appropriate.
    Self controlled and adequately composed.
    Grace under fire.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Maybe this is still useful

Very much so, thank you! Vote for Sticky?

Everything is still useful. I wish we would see more.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Re-reading this thread, and what it brought to mind oddly enough is "pay commensurate with experience"

When we are discussing violence and fear, expounding upon it after the fact, the above needs to be considered. As I (and others, Gabe among them) have stated earlier, the "pay " has to be commensurate with experience. Your first shoot as a citizen and we (investigators) NEED to see the emotion (go back to my doctor in the earlier thread) otherwise something is "out of balance". On your third or forth trigger time and amongst those that have seen you on the ball, not so much. Later for the grand jury more visceral expression is needed.

None of these things are lying or misleading, they are simply fitting the event into a narrative the audience can understand. Know your audience and your goal. With some audiences "did you see that, I had four empty 12 ga hulls in the air on that one" is appropriate, with a different audience "I was so worried he was going to kill my team, I have never fired so fast in my life" is the appropriate explanation. Both are true, neither is lying, merely fitting the explanation to the intended audience.

I would speak differently to a group of neurosurgeons about managing stress, than I would to new recruits in boot camp.

Still an excellent thread and Jonathan Nobody is awesome for starting the discussion.
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time

Great post & discussion!

Thanks!

John
    "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" Alan Temby
    "Give a man a mask and he will tell you the truth"- Oscar Wilde.