Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    Wow I would have thought this would have generated more discussion
    Love it - learning a lot, so keeping my mouth shut.
    Armed Puritan

Quote Originally Posted by TFA303 View Post
    Love it - learning a lot, so keeping my mouth shut.
    Same here! I appreciate the write ups and I'm just trying to learn as much as I can.

Learning a lot, always watching but nothing constructive to offer. What you are offering is much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Tull View Post
    Your belief that you normally shouldn't be attached to your weapon is surprisingly controversial, but is based on logic. People instinctively want to use the sling because they believe it aids in weapon retention. However, I liked what you said at your last CQB class: "If you come into a room against me with a slung rifle, I'm going to drag you around like a dog on a leash." Not having the rifle attached to you is counterintuitive, but makes a whole lot of sense when you sit down and think about it.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
    Revisiting this comment...

It IS surprisingly controversial. My theory is that most gun guys are not hand to hand guys. I do NOT want to go hands on with someone with a rifle tied around me.

A rifle or shotgun makes a fantastic impact weapon when it's not wrapped around your neck.

A sling is a great tool, but like any tool it works best when it's applied correctly.

Greg and I were helping Gabe teach a rifle course sometime back. One day we were working on movement, busting off the X and shooting on the move. Many of the students insisted on leaving their slings attached to them, even after we'd explained multiple times how this wasn't ideal. Moving to the right side of the clock was no issue for the right handers, but moving left was a circus.

The next day we were shooting at longer range from stationary positions. Those same students who insisted on staying slung up while moving, now left the slings hanging from the rifle, even after we'd demonstrated sling assisted shooting. I don't think they got it until I started giving people sh*t about it. (with a smile on my face of course)

I don't say that to denigrate anyone...just an example of misunderstanding the tool, and learning the wrong lesson from a given drill.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Advanced Close Range Gunfighting - Nov 2-3 Mapleton, OR

It's my preference to be untied. I've either seen or done it myself enough time to see how easy it is to be dragged out of control by a rifle and it's happened enough that I'm not risking it. I only know one solution to combat it and it's no where near ideal.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

This is an excellent thread and deserves a re-read.

I need to post a different picture for how I manage the sling...hopefully tonight.
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

Quote Originally Posted by mike135 View Post
    I was thinking about the issues with a 2 point sling hanging on the rifle when unslung and moving/fighting. Are you saying that you aren't worried about that? I just thought it was interesting to think about leaving the sling on the body (yet tight and not hanging loose) vs leaving it on the rifle. The way I understand it, if you go with a normal 1 point then the sling can be tight to the body but you don't have the option of going to 2 point. If you go to 2 point and hook or unhook then you have a looser sling hanging on you when unhooked. With this one, it stays tight like a 1 point but it gives you the option of going to 2 point to go on the back without trying to be loose enough to fight in 2 point configuration.

Anyway, I haven't taken any of the CQB classes yet so this is just theoretical for me so far, just thought I'd mention it because it sounded like an intriguing concept.
    After re-reading my answer I realized that I wasn't as complete in my response as I could have been. The purpose of a single point sling is for fighting from a vehicle or aircraft. 1) It allows you to use either shoulder to shoot from. 2) It secures the weapon in case you drop it so you don't lose it. 3) In the event of a crash or explosion if you get thrown free from the vehicle the weapon travels with you so you don't lose it and can get back in to the fight without having to search around for the weapon. 4) Tension support of a stockless weapon for marksmanship and recoil management.

The real reason that these came into popularity is because the Tier 1, direct action guys were using them and everyone wanted to look cool just like them. The DA guys were using them because they spend a ton of time in vehicles, MH-6 little birds, and UH-60 Black Hawks.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    The real reason that these came into popularity is because the Tier 1, direct action guys were using them and everyone wanted to look cool just like them.
    THIS

I have worked with them a bit and they just aren't a good fit for anything I do. A simple two point sling is best for most people in most circumstances.
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes: