Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I have a 2008 WASR-10 that seems to be a solid rifle. I bought it off Gunbroker, but if there's a problem with it, I can't find it. I don't shoot it much anymore, but it's nice to have an example of an AK even if it's a low end AK.
    "Consequence outweighs probability." - Blaise Pascal

20180304_150327.jpg

For the cost ($500 for the rifle, and then the extra bits), this rifle does a fine job. As said earlier, I wouldn't trade my AR for it. Just this last weekend I taught a friend to shoot, and on their first outing, they shot the AK first with irons and then my AR with a red dot. After shooting about a magazine through the AR, they put it down and said, "this thing just wants to go, it's... tight... like an angry cat." While the AKM feels like an axe in the hand, the AR never lets you forget that it is hungry and bored.
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

I actually prefer the feeling of an ak.

I even like the rifles sights better then anything else excluding modern optics.

Are we really still talking about WASRs here...in this day and age?
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Are we really still talking about WASRs here...in this day and age?
    I just think they don’t remember all the crap that was wrong with them. Yeah, maybe you got a good one, that’s one out of ten maybe. But really, why even bother. If you are forced to get an ak because you live in Afghanistan, well that’s cool then get one. Isn’t there more better options then that?

The Ak is what drew me to SI a decade ago when I took AKRGF with Gabe.
    I looked at all the trainers doing AK stuff and SI was what I needed.
    I only have 4 AKs now (sentimental reasons) ARs triple the racks in the study. I carried three variants of the Armalite Rifle in the Army and it is AMERICAs Rifle now.
    Would I feel under gunned with an AK in the 3rd world? Not at all (MET-T dependent).
    CONUS I will take the AR platform as once again ...it is the AMERICAN rifle /pistol.
    Good rule of thumb on the AK time now, if American hands and parts are used it is poop, the Sig's in 7.62 x 39 are disavowed ,nowadays best bet if you must,is find a pistol AK 100% made in a com bloc country and add a brace or the tax stamp and add a folder or find an old norinco/polytech or yougo. YMMV
    Or if you must have a 30 cal....invest in a good quality 300 BO.

v/r

JD

Quote Originally Posted by JD Lester View Post
    The Ak is what drew me to SI a decade ago when I took AKRGF with Gabe.
    I looked at all the trainers doing AK stuff and SI was what I needed.
    I only have 4 AKs now (sentimental reasons) ARs triple the racks in the study. I carried three variants of the Armalite Rifle in the Army and it is AMERICAs Rifle now.
    Would I feel under gunned with an AK in the 3rd world? Not at all (MET-T dependent).
    CONUS I will take the AR platform as once again ...it is the AMERICAN rifle /pistol.
    Good rule of thumb on the AK time now, if American hands and parts are used it is poop, the Sig's in 7.62 x 39 are disavowed ,nowadays best bet if you must,is find a pistol AK 100% made in a com bloc country and add a brace or the tax stamp and add a folder or find an old norinco/polytech or yougo. YMMV
    Or if you must have a 30 cal....invest in a good quality 300 BO.

v/r

JD
    You know with good ammo they are great rifles as long as they are good ones. Wasr’s Are just not very good, magazines don’t seat right, sights are f!!cked, trigger guards are not put on properly. They suck unless you can’t afford anything else. But expect some tuning.

MOA out to 400 would be impressive. I find that as the shooter I can only manage 3.5 moa 12 shot group @ 100 yards from a sitting position in field conditions. My area is not what you would call bi-pod friendly.

The downside to the AR for me is the idea that the bolt is a wear part, that bothers me. I personally would not go for a WASR but have been able to get exceptional accuracy from an Atlantic Firearms build.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Leaving the AK was the best decision I ever made. So a rifle fired 10,000 rounds? Yawwwwwwn.

Did it hit MOA out to 400 yards with every shot?

Now THAT would be impressive.
    Last edited by Maorri; 03-17-2018 at 11:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maorri View Post

The downside to the AR for me is the idea that the bolt is a wear part, that bothers me. ...............
    Has this been discussed at WT? Since I am slowly switching my armory over the AR this is an important topic
    I googled this and do not know if it is correct and I suspect bolt life expectancy depends on a lot of factors
    IIRC believe that 10,000 rds for the bolt and 18,000 rds for rifle are life expectancy of a rifle before serious overhaul/ replacement. Theoretically lower should ... That being said 20K for the barrel 15K for some of the smaller parts under a use cycle that again is prolly well beyond what you will ever use it like.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez