Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Suarez International is about inspiring and driving excellence.

You will never here the phrase "good enough" in this organization. That doesn't mean that every single bit of equipment has to be Rolls Royce, but it does mean that we're never going to promote or validate poor equipment choices.

We provide education so people can make better, more informed choices. We provide inspiration and know-how for all to become better not only on the battlefield but also in the boardroom so that a guy can afford more than the Charter Arms of the AK world. Excellence doesn't have to mean more $$$, but it does mean better attitude.

We do not have WASR attitude, one that validates substandard stuff.

I think every fighting man and woman should have a rifle. I understand that some people are stuck on a WASR budget, and if that's all you can afford so be it. But that doesn't mean we are going to recommend it or validate that choice.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    I bought some Lapua and it worked so well in my Sig 556R. I'm not opposed to spending money for good quality but it was more than I wanted to spend.

I found that Federal Fusion was almost as good. Still spendy but more reasonable.

Sadly there's just not the same choice of supply as 5.56...or even other calibers.
    I had amazing results with Hornady and my 556r. The problem was if I used anything else the groups shifted over 10 inches to the 7 oclock and had pie plate groups. It made training at even 50 yards impossible.

Then came .300 blk. My .300 recce gave me a thumbnail sized 10 round group at 100. My barrel cost almost as much as a wasr lol. Practice ammo is still moa or a little over at 100. Its night and day and awesome. All the advantages of a .30 cal round and all the advantages of an AR. I traded my ak the other day and my 556r is likely not far behind lol.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    I had amazing results with Hornady and my 556r. The problem was if I used anything else the groups shifted over 10 inches to the 7 oclock and had pie plate groups. It made training at even 50 yards impossible.
    Yes that was my experience as well, a wild shift of zero.

Lapua is simply too expensive to train with.
    Brent Yamamoto

PDW-8.jpg

My current rifle.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Certain words in bold to emphasize why I dropped the AK and the AK market like a coke habit. You actually said it best for me.

One excuse upon another excuse attempting to justify why their "good enough" (and extremely inexpensive) kit is just as good as those 'spensive guns the excellence seekers choose to arm themselves with. Following that line of thinking, all you really need is a lever action 30-30, and a Ruger revolver...and working some overtime instead of spending your time lifting, shooting, reading, or training.
    It's not an excuse, it's practical reality... Can you honestly tell me that if you give the average gun owner a Steyer or a FHN SCAR and an unlimited budget for ammo that they would spend the range time needed to be able to take advantage of those platforms potential? That they would learn to be able to consistently hit targets at 300+ yards? What sense does it make for those people to spend 3 times as much as a WASR when their practical accuracy with either platform will be just as good/bad?

I never said "a good enough kit was just as good as an expensive gun", I said that for those that don't put in the range time and will never be able to take advantage of a top quality rifles potential, a WASR will serve those people just as well as anything else. That is pretty much an inarguable fact, unless you're now arguing that range time doesn't really matter.

And the lever action/Ruger revolver comment is just ridiculous... And you know it.

"If you find yourself in a fair fight you failed to properly prepare..."

"History is the autobiography of a madman..."

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter76 View Post
    It's not an excuse, it's practical reality... Can you honestly tell me that if you give the average gun owner a Steyer or a FHN SCAR and an unlimited budget for ammo that they would spend the range time needed to be able to take advantage of those platforms potential?
    You're completely missing the point, and really the whole purpose of this forum: we don't care about the "average gun owner". They aren't part of us. We are people who choose to pursue excellence; we are not average, nor do we accept mediocre performance from ourselves or our gear.

And good gear DOES make one better. Better gear is less frustrating to train with, making one all the more likely to train more and get something out of it. Also it speeds learning. If you miss, you know it's YOU and not the equipment. Every time I've settled for substandard gear, it's only served to annoy the hell out of me.

And again, I don't think we have to compare a $2k gun to a WASR. Much better performance can be had without breaking the bank.

I get the argument...but we are not here to discuss mediocrity. We're here to rise above it.
    Brent Yamamoto

I always figured that a bad shooter shoots better with an accurate gun than one that's not that accurate. Something about compounding margins of error...

Excellence in gear and training saves time. Pursuing excellence in all I do means I don't have time to waste.
    anonymity is underrated

Unfair. Unbalanced. Unmedicated.

Mine

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter76 View Post
    It's not an excuse, it's practical reality... Can you honestly tell me that if you give the average gun owner a Steyer or a FHN SCAR and an unlimited budget for ammo that they would spend the range time needed to be able to take advantage of those platforms potential?

The "average gun owner" is not my concern nor my problem until they decide themselves they no longer want to be an "average gun owner". But in either case, when that "average gun owner" wants to exceed his averageness, it would be far better for him IF HE HAD A WEAPON THAT WOULD NOT HOLD HIM BACK.

That they would learn to be able to consistently hit targets at 300+ yards? What sense does it make for those people to spend 3 times as much as a WASR when their practical accuracy with either platform will be just as good/bad?

See above. We seek to develop excellence in every student. Those not interested in such things can go elsewhere. There are plenty of other schools and internet venues that cater to the "average" and the "underachiever". That is NOT us, and that is not Here.

I never said "a good enough kit was just as good as an expensive gun",

Whether YOU said it or not, that is in fact the mantra of everyone working with the AK WASR today. Just as the J-Frame crowd thinks their Chief's Special is every bit as good enough as the Glock 26. Sorry if it hurts their self esteem, but its not the same thing.

I said that for those that don't put in the range time and will never be able to take advantage of a top quality rifles potential, a WASR will serve those people just as well as anything else. That is pretty much an inarguable fact, unless you're now arguing that range time doesn't really matter.

I don't know man...I search all your posts and you are at odds with everything I say here. Listen carefully so I don't have to yell. I do not give a flying fornication about the "average shooter", or the masses or those who "will never be able to take advantage". THEY are not my concern. MY concern is making my students excellent. And they sure as hell do that at every class. But they do not do it with equipment that makes it difficult for them from the beginning.

THAT is why I dropped the AK...because it starts everyone behind where they could be with better "just about everything from optics to ammo". The AK has always been a Make Do, or get By proposition, and I could not make it keep up with where we wanted skills to go. So we dropped the cheapskate rifle from the cheapskate market and stopped concerning ourselves with make-do and get by.

And the lever action/Ruger revolver comment is just ridiculous... And you know it.

Nope...it is right on the nail bro
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters