Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
    I think that bolt wear is something that only a select few shooters have to worry about. There was a long Battlefield Las Vegas thread over at ARFCOM regarding the durability of various platforms. Colt AR bolts lasted an absurd amount of time and failed at nearly the same time, indicating that they had very high consistency in manufacture and QA/QC. Interestingly enough, PSA bolts lasted about 90% as long.

Either way, you have to be throwing tens of thousands of rounds, and at a hard duty cycle, for the issue to really be all that considerable. And, given the small size and relatively low cost of a complete BCG, there's no reason you shouldn't have one on hand.
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

From what I understand is that bolts for the 6.5 grendel will not last as long and believe that is also the case for the 7.62x39. For these some manufacturers make more durable bolts than others is what I understand. I think it is a sound suggestion to keep spare bolts and such on hand.
    I am planning to make the 6.5 grendel my primary go to cartridge and rifle combination. It is good at close and distant ranges and wolf sells economical training ammo for it.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Keeping up on gas ring replacement will increase reliability and bolt life. The AR is a first world rifle that requires a careful eye and a lot more parts replacements. The bolt is a ware part because it is the piston. The AKs only wear part is a barrel. If you aren't concerned about AR bolt wear you dont shoot enough.

AR bolt failure becomes a concern after 10k rounds and you really need look at your bolt face carefully after each range session. Hard service life makes little difference on bolt ware other than bolt temp. Having your bolt fail when you need it sucks wether thats in a match or a fight for your life its no fun. Some people who are serious have a practice/range bolt and when they get home they put in their business bolt
    Last edited by Maorri; 03-18-2018 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maorri View Post
    Keeping up on gas ring replacement will increase reliability and bolt life. The AR is a first world rifle that requires a careful eye and a lot more parts replacements. The bolt is a ware part because it is the piston. The AKs only wear part is a barrel. If you aren't concerned about AR bolt wear you dont shoot enough.
    On the AK the bolt and parts of the bolt carrier will show sign of usage. The 7.6x39 is not a high pressure round and likely you can get by longer with excess headspace on an AK than one could on a 5.56 nato chambered AR. On the AR from what I have read is that the lugs break. It is is worse with with the 7.62x39 bolts with the claim that it puts more thrust against the bolt face than then does the 5.56 nato.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

The ak parts will show usage but your barrel will be smooth bore before you close on a no go (assuming proper parts construction). Your AK receiver will give up the ghost before your BCG.

Quote Originally Posted by Maorri View Post

AR bolt failure becomes a concern after 10k rounds and you really need look at your bolt face carefully after each range session. Hard service life makes little difference on bolt ware other than bolt temp. Having your bolt fail when you need it sucks wether thats in a match or a fight for your life its no fun. Some people who are serious have a practice/range bolt and when they get home they put in their business bolt

Yeah, ak bolts don't wear ��

Tried to insert a picture of a badly worn Al bolt I had from new.

Also tried to insert a picture of a worn out bolt from a m249. It uses the same type of bolt face lug style whatever it's called an ak does.

They both still work, and the lugs on the SAW are pitted as hell.
    Last edited by Ryan Taylor; 03-18-2018 at 06:20 PM.

My WASR 10/63 is a fine rifle. Sure its fit and finish is not as pretty as some of the more expensive options, but its sights are straight, magwell tight, and barrel accurate. Its a CHF Chrome Lined barrel for not all that much money. Its best to purchase these arms in person if you can, but if you get a good one, you have a great rifle that will last your lifetime easily. I purchased a PKA-V sight for mine, and with that red dot, its more than accurate enough for any shot within 300m.