Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I wouldn't rely upon a WASR as anything more than an emergency backup unless budget allowed no better, but a WASR or Yugo import that does run without issue makes for a great affordable trainer rifle to pair with an AK that you deem suitable for defense.

That way, you can set it up as close to the same as possible and train a lot with cheap ammo and the same system and the best cheap clone of the optic on your MAK while leaving your primary rifle zeroed with defensive ammo and limiting barrel wear.

I use a 2006 WASR as an understudy to my two, Maadi AKM's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sherman House
    Instructor - Tactical Response Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House View Post
    I use a 2006 WASR as an understudy to my two, Maadi AKM's.

How well do you rate the Maadi AKM relative to quality and accuracy?
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    How well do you rate the Maadi AKM relative to quality and accuracy?
    Both are about 1.5 MOA. Both came with a black paint type of finish. I had one reparked and the other I just let it ride. I don't mind the finish, considering both guns are Egyptian princesses.

Sherman House
    Instructor - Tactical Response Inc.

I picked up a WASR as a training aid. I was pleasantly surprised at the build quality and accuracy of the rifle. Maybe my rifle is an example of winning the WASR lottery. I don't know. It's the only one I have. As is, it's probably 2ish MOA (haven't shot it past 100m yet, but it holds consistent 3-4" groups with open sights if I am prone and supported). The open sights are faster and easier for me to use for close in work than traditional AR15/M4 peep sights.

Regardless of the quality of the rifle (which rifle is a well executed example of the platform), mounting optics is a pain in the ass (as a result, I haven't bothered with it), the ergonomics suck compared to my AR, and the cartridge really shows its limitations beyond 300m (which, even though my closest rifle range is 100m, I expect a fighting rifle to perform out to at least 300m, if not 500m).

The mission statement for the WASR was to be a training rifle for the AK platform in order to learn the other most issued service rifle in the world. For accomplishing that goal, I consider the $500 sunk into the WASR (plus some very excellent magpul furniture) money well spent.

Would I consider the WASR a first line rifle? Nope. That is my AR, loaded up with 77gr OTM, and a red dot or variable. Would I consider the WASR a garbage fire of a rifle? Absolutely not. At every turn, I've been surprised by the quality, accuracy, and usability of the rifle. If I had to carry it into a fight, I'd be ok with it, but would vastly prefer my AR.

All that said, I think that any serious man-at-arms should be more than familiar with the most commonly issued weapons of his day and age. This means that I need to know how to operate, maintain, and preferably do armorer level work on common platforms, to include the AKM pattern rifle.
    Last edited by noonesshowmonkey; 08-03-2017 at 12:39 AM. Reason: man-at-arms, platforms, would I carry the WASR, grammar, clarity
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

The AR15 today is galaxies beyond the abysmal AR-15 SP-1 on my youth. I remember my 1980 WV DNR Safe Hunter Course Instructor telling us
    'Donot buy the AR-15, they are junk!' Indeed the Plainfield M1 carbine, Bushmaster, Mini-14, Valmet, and HK-93 were indeed wiser choices. However, in 1982, Eagle Arms Introduced what was a vastly improved AR-15 which resembled the fledgling M16A2. THe AR-15 so became a respected reliable weapon, a trend which has only increased over the years. In 2012 , I began researching the possibilities of adopting an improved AR-15 variant as an adjunct to my WASR-10. Given the popularity of the SKS and it's common ammunition source, but I find it ill-advised to completely leave 7.62x39mm platforms, too. In November of 2016, I acquired a stock S&W M&P 15 Sport 2. The modifications to maximize its characteristic s can be found in my thread entitled 'How I pimped my S&W M&P 15 Sport 2'. I could face trouble with wither platform and have total confidence in their reliability, too. Master your system, master your safety, and achieve peace of mind!
    The 2cd Amendment has no technological cut off date!
    The extermination of Islam before my dhimmitude!
    8-10-3 forever!
    The operative formerly known as Pug Puppy
    COBRA!

"The AR15 today is galaxies beyond the abysmal AR-15 SP-1 on my youth." A lot of older guys (like me) own AKs because of this. It's hard for me to get into the mindset of a .223 plastic toy gun being a serious weapon. Not saying I'm right, just saying it's tough to take the AR seriously if you're an old fart. I guess it doesn't matter since I'll be dead soon anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by WVwheelgunner View Post
    "The AR15 today is galaxies beyond the abysmal AR-15 SP-1 on my youth." A lot of older guys (like me) own AKs because of this. It's hard for me to get into the mindset of a .223 plastic toy gun being a serious weapon. Not saying I'm right, just saying it's tough to take the AR seriously if you're an old fart. I guess it doesn't matter since I'll be dead soon anyway.
    The SP-1 variant of the M-16 should have never been deployed, period. Even after the the ammo was fixed, as last as 1987 , Marine Corps reservists told me that the M16A1 had jamming issues even when properly maintained, too. I loved my WASR-10 but I can see the AR-15 as adjunct to it. Think the M2 carbine as an adjunct to the M-14, too.
    The 2cd Amendment has no technological cut off date!
    The extermination of Islam before my dhimmitude!
    8-10-3 forever!
    The operative formerly known as Pug Puppy
    COBRA!

I bought my WASR just after hurricane Wilma. It was the only AK that I could find locally at that time. It was my choice due to my late 1960s experiences with the M-16. The first time I fired it to sight it in, its first two shots were touching each other, at point of aim at 25 yds. It still is the rifle that I'd chose in a SHTF scenario a-la Houston. I recently put together an AR but based on past history don't totally trust it even though it's 100% so far.
    Last edited by FL-Obiwan; 08-31-2017 at 12:37 PM.
    Unless it's life threatening, ITS ALL BULLSHIT! - Fl Obiwan

When seconds count, help is just minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by FL-Obiwan View Post
    I bought my WASR just after hurricane Wilma. It was the only AK that I could find locally at that time. It was my choice due to my late 1960s experiences with the M-16. The firsr time I fired it to sight it in, its first two shots were touching each other, at point of aim at 25 yds. It still is the rifle that I'd chose in a SHTF scenario a-la Houston. I recently put together an AR but based on past history don't totally trust it even though it's 100% so far.
    On my example removing the muzzle brake reduced groups size 50% since the slant muzzle brake was loose. The brake also deflected the group due to its slanted design which I believe was intended to help control FA shooting.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez