Default RMR on an Airsoft Pistol

Has anyone here experimented with an RMR or RMR knock-off on an quality gas blowback airsoft pistol? If so suggestions?

Maybe fitted an L-mount into a WE or KWA/KSC rear sight dovetail? I've been able to put old Trijicons in my WE dovetail without issue. Wondering if the L-mount would tear up the light alloy metal of an airsoft slide.

I dry-practice with my RMR guns a lot, and do a bit of airsoft against paper around my house and in my garage when working out. I can get almost 10 yard shots in my house and my guns will make pretty tight face hits at this distance. Was thinking about getting the training gear as close to real as possible. Or am I overthinking the airsoft too much?

I know what I really need are some training partners where I live on Nor Cal who aren't p*ssies and are willing to do realistic force on force with me. If there are any WT folks in the S.F. Bay Area, this is not a slam on you! It's a slam on the cops/SWAT guys I worked with for years who are all for going to the range but always have an excuse when I suggest some airsoft force on force, even if I offer to supply the guns... That said, if there are any in the SF Bay Area, PM me and let's train! (Maybe if there are enough of us in the area, we could respectfully request hosting an S.I. airsoft or UTM only class down this way...)

And I'm saving up to get a UTM kit for a G19 I'm putting together, but in the meantime I was thinking this might be something to try.

And since I'm wearing my man-panties, hard truth of experience appreciated.
    VIRES HONOR VIRTUS FIDES

I think it would be a worthwhile effort to put a cheap dot on an airsoft but I haven't done the homework on it.

If you're going the UTM route, I might wait for that. UTM is so much more robust than airsoft it would be a better choice. I'm pretty sure that Kamp said they couldn't be milled, but perhaps Gabe's universal L Mount would. That would be a worthwhile endeavor IMO.

And I will keep my man-panties comments to myself. ;)
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Thanks for the info.

For UTM and the Glock 19, isn't it possible to just do a barrel swap?

And you know, chicks dig me because I rarely wear underwear and when I do, it's usually something unusual...
    VIRES HONOR VIRTUS FIDES

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaDS View Post
    For UTM and the Glock 19, isn't it possible to just do a barrel swap?
    Kamp knows more, but UTM Glock replaces the whole slide and barrel. I don't understand why, because I know with some other pistols it's just the barrel. I assume it's a business choice on their part but don't know the details.
    Brent Yamamoto

I've seen UTM break Surefire lenses. Knowing how often we get hit in the hands and around the gun I don't think I'll put one of my RMR's on a FOF gun.
    Jon Payne
    Ambassador, Suarez Group of Companies
    Suarez International Law Enforcement Instructor

The Two Most Dangerous Places in Today's World:
    1.) A Gun Free Zone
    2.) Your Comfort Zone

TRAIN WITH PAYNE 2018

​CRG-1 Orange TX January 20-21, 2018

CRG-2 Orange TX March 10-11, 2018

Shotgun Gunfighting San Antonio TX April 14-15, 2018

GS-1 (modified) Kirbyville TX May 19-20, 2018

Agree, I wouldn't put a good dot on a FOF gun but I can see putting a cheap one.
    Brent Yamamoto

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    Kamp knows more, but UTM Glock replaces the whole slide and barrel. I don't understand why, because I know with some other pistols it's just the barrel. I assume it's a business choice on their part but don't know the details.
    Sorry for the late response...things been slammed at home/work...

So the Glock conversions are all full slide conversions. They used to make barrel replacement conversion kit but they didn't run reliably.

As for breaking things, yes UTM will damage hard surfaces as will the OTHERs, if you can get them to run reliably or hit what you are aiming at. Flashlight lenses break with any NLTA.

There are ways to protect the lenses. other options are cheap knockoffs. Maybe a good use for the Vortex and their unlimited warranty.

The newer UTM conversions should allow for milling. Once I get a chance, hopefully I can get one off to Gabe to get milled as proof of concept.

I have not seen an Airsoft gun that I believe would hold up to putting an actual sight on.

However, i do believe I have seen some coming out that mimic red dots. Will have to find it.

I actually plan to be in the bay area doimg classes soon. I have a host ive been working with to get stuff scheduled.

Lastly, Since up close the RMR really doesnt come into play, I believe the benefit to having an RMR equipped training pistol would be 10 to 15 yards and beyond...What will airsoft do at that distance and would you be lucky to hit anything anyway. UTM all day long out to about 30yards or so.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jeromy Hasenkamp; 10-01-2017 at 11:24 PM.
    Kamp
    Suarez International Tier 1 Instructor
    UTM Master Instructor Training Provider and Independent Dealer
    Kamp's Suarez International Training Schedule
    (and no, unfortunately it isn't the summer camp for our kids we all want to send them to)
    Pacific Tactical Website
    Facebook
    Twitter: @pacifictactical

"Progress comes to those who train and train; reliance on secret techniques will get you nowhere."
    Morihei Ueshiba

Quote Originally Posted by Jeromy Hasenkamp View Post
    Lastly, Since up close the RMR really doesnt come into play, I believe the benefit to having an RMR equipped training pistol would be 10 to 15 yards and beyond...What will airsoft do at that distance and would you be lucky to hit anything anyway.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    That's a really excellent point.
    Armed Puritan

I am slow adopter for most innovation. I jury-rigged a cheap RMR knock off on top of my airsoft pistol to test out the concept. After 500 draws, room clearing and other tasks, it felt like a smart investment for my G19. So yes, it is viable. One thing that my temporary setup did not address was supressor sights usage, but it still simulated general deployment.

as noted, airsoft pistols are generally not too valuable at dozens of yards. That was not my use case, but might come into play for FoF.