Thread: PDW Zero?

Default PDW Zero?

I made it to the range with my Tac-14 &
    PDW Tuesday night. We had a rain delay,
    so we didn't have a lot of time before dark,
    so we had to keep things brief.

I did a quick zero on paper at about 15 yards.

After that I ran about another 50 rounds at
    7" diameter plates using ETS 30 rounders.

The PDW ran like like champ. I will have
    to do a proper zero when I get it back to
    the range.

At what distance are you guys zeroing for
    street use?

I was thinking 50 yards, but I would like
    some input from WT.

Thanks!

John

20170714_170319.jpg
    Last edited by Johnny C!; 07-21-2017 at 04:48 PM. Reason: added photo
    "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" Alan Temby

I zero all my RMRs at 10 yards and just aim at what I want to hit.

At 75-100 yards I hold at the neck line. Further than that, it depends.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny C! View Post
    We had a rain delay
    I hope this is some kind of silly rule that the range enforces. If you actually waited because you were worried that you might melt in the rain, I would tease you mercilessly.

I used to use a 50-yd zero. My rationale was that it was the sweet spot for managing drop from the muzzle all the way out to 200y. But after listening to some comments from Greg Nichols, I reconsidered that. (Mixed in among the constant stream of off-color humor is the occasional nugget of wisdom.) The pistol is a close-range weapon. Yes, we want to be able to shoot as far as possible. And it is thrilling to ring steel at 200y+ with a handgun. But you are far more likely to face an adversary at 5y. And the likelihood of needing to place a very precise shot at 5y is much greater than the likelihood of needing to take any shot at 100y. After weighing out those probabilities, I decided to shift the emphasis back to the scenario of a room-distance hostage shot. So I now use a 15y zero, which is virtually indistinguishable from a 10y zero.
    Virtute et Armis

We were at a friends private range.

We decided to have dinner instead
    of getting out in a major thunder
    storm. Localized flooding, one
    reported structure fire after it
    was hit by lightning, a microburst
    reported at a local airport, trees
    down from high winds, etc. The
    usual summer weather pattern
    for my OA, so tease away!

I'm going with a 25 yard zero. This
    should put me 2" low at 50 yards
    an body shots at 100 should be
    easy, as well.

Thanks for all of the input!

John
    Last edited by Johnny C!; 07-21-2017 at 04:37 PM.

A 10 yard zero really is the way to go with an 9mm RMR Glock, regardless whether it's a PDW or pistol. (Although as LawDog points out it'll be hard to tell the difference from a 15 yard zero.) A 10 yard zero has a 50-60 yard far zero depending on ammo, and gives you a longer point blank range where you can hold dead on instead of holding over, with no downside compared to a 25 yard zero. At all distances between 10 and 60 yards, you'll hit less than 1" higher than POA, which basically means POA = POI between 5 and 75 yards.

I think we need to remember that its both a SMG and a PISTOL. Its a SMG in the sense that you'll be shouldering (errrr cheek bracing) it for longer shots but those shots will still likely be limited to 100yrds max AND its a Pistol, in that it has a 5 inch +/- depending on the model you chose; but more importantly you are likely going to be wanting more precision from your shots because there will certainly be friendlies and innocents around.

No doubt some of you have hit tiny targets at a quarter mile in a hurricane with your PDW; but I think 100 yards is about the reasonable maximum range from a 5" Glock even with a brace. OTOH most shooting will probably be MUCH closer and you'll expect much more precision and FAST precise shooting from it without needing to remember to adjust for a different zero.

I think a zero at anything out to or under 25 yards is fine as long as you use the zero that you are comfortable with in a UN braced handgun. The thing is a 9mm PDW is a upclose weapon. IF you wanna chose a different cartridge (357SIG or 10mm or something really special), then you could maybe stretch your zero BUT keep in mind its still a UP CLOSE gun

Thanks Guys.

I have been looking at trajectory charts
    for 9mm, but I haven't found any that
    were complete enough for me to make
    a confident decision.

I appreciate the clarification.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
    A 10 yard zero really is the way to go with an 9mm RMR Glock, regardless whether it's a PDW or pistol. (Although as LawDog points out it'll be hard to tell the difference from a 15 yard zero.) A 10 yard zero has a 50-60 yard far zero depending on ammo, and gives you a longer point blank range where you can hold dead on instead of holding over, with no downside compared to a 25 yard zero. At all distances between 10 and 60 yards, you'll hit less than 1" higher than POA, which basically means POA = POI between 5 and 75 yards.
    Last edited by Johnny C!; 07-22-2017 at 07:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny C! View Post
    I have been looking at trajectory charts
    for 9mm, but I haven't found any that
    were complete enough for me to make
    a confident decision.
    Two little points to make.
    1) the reason there isn't much data on it is because we're the only people in the gun and gun training world that think a 100M pistol shot is reasonable, nobody else even really tests it.
    2) You may want to follow the suggestions of the folks that have been working/training/testing with the RDS pistol for around a decade and go with a 10-15M zero. We may know a little something on the subject. Just sayin'
    AKA: Fuzzy AKA: The Hyena
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    #thinkinginviolence

Always entertaining, mildly offensive

IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

Roger that.

It's why I am here.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    Two little points to make.
    1) the reason there isn't much data on it is because we're the only people in the gun and gun training world that think a 100M pistol shot is reasonable, nobody else even really tests it.
    2) You may want to follow the suggestions of the folks that have been working/training/testing with the RDS pistol for around a decade and go with a 10-15M zero. We may know a little something on the subject. Just sayin'

From what I've seen zeros are either 10 yards or 50 yards and then just knowing your holds. We use a 10 yard zero among us here at Warriortalk and I know several gamers use 50 yards because of the occasional long range steel plate/popper and its the same as their PCC so the holds are the same.. It just comes down to what you intend the gun to be for and what holds you want to use.
    If it was easy we wouldn't need a wizard now would we. ~ Gilda

Lvl 110 Elf Lord.

I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye.
    I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind.