Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A PISTOL KATA?

Default A PISTOL KATA?

This is not quite an article...but a concept. The material exists and I have it all but complete for presentation...which I will do soon. But first...the why...of course.

A martial system is based on concepts, strategies, tactics and techniques. One does not just "go fight", or "go shoot" as much as the simpletons of the American gun scene would have you believe. Fighting - whether hand or gun - is learned. Fighting must be mindless and automatic to bring victory. And for that to happen...it must be based on a series of accepted concepts that lead to a strategy of combat. And the tactics and techniques are developed around such things.

For example, lets take our system of gunfighting. Not a theoretical matter at all, nor one based in sports. I have killed men with the things I teach you thus the systems has not been through as many clean hands as say...karate or kendo has. We define fighting by the assignment of initiative. Either you have it, and thus you begin and end the fight with nothing but timing and marksmanship. Or your adversary has it, requiring you to respond to his attack...receiving it and maneuvering for a counter attack.

We defined the parameters of proactive and develop the mental, emotional, and spiritual attitude to draw a pistol, align it on another man's face and press the trigger...taking his life like a bite out of an apple. A cold and calculated maneuver preempting his advantage. I have done this.

We also defined the dynamics and parameters of reactive, and study the situation as well as what is required by the situation to prevail. Recognition of attack. Determination of line of conflict and direction of pressure. Avenues of evasion and movement. This last taught as the "Take Off", combined with weapon access and deployment mid evasion. And all the concepts and ideas we discuss relating to the matter at hand.

That is our system. That is Suarez-Ryu if you will entertain the analogy...

As I have been drifting back into my original life...my original study of Karate I realized that I have been feeling some frustration at the misunderstanding of what we teach. I suppose I am not the first...and that is why the old teachers developed the kata...or simply pre-organized self directed study systems. Because they, like me, realized they would not be here forever, and that lest their life's work be forgotten with their passing, such things needed to be codified...and set...lest it all be for naught.

The kata served as a catalog of movement, and strategies, and tactics, and techniques of a given teacher. What worked for him was organized into a set practice regimen for his students. And thus the old teachers left their life's work for their students to know and to study in the kata. And I think we need to do likewise.

The lazy fatheads will roll their eyes at this, but I could not care less what their opinions are as they stuff their faces with doughnuts while watching 3 gun nation.

What I have devoted my life to is not for games...and I am beginning to understand deeply what some of the old teachers felt. Knowledge needs to be organized to be practiced and remembered. And to be taught to others. And it needs to be done by the founder of the study...the one with bloody hands.

Stand by. In the next few weeks we will see exactly what I have discussed here.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Anxiously waiting. I took up Hojutsu Ryu a few years ago and pursued it for a a little more than a year. Ultimately, I found too many flaws and determined that it wasn't an efficient use of my time, so I went back to my primarily solo training. It was useful for certain skills, but it never grew into what I really wanted. And I spent enough time asking questions to determine that it never would. It is a brand new art that is already stagnant. But there is an idea within there that is worth developing.
    Virtute et Armis

I am interested in the direction you are heading with this Gabe...
    Play stupid games... Win stupid prizes...

I know Jeff Hall personally. He is a good guy, but I disagree with some of his positions. If you look at real sword forms, they are very simple and clean. I will do the same thing. It is LIKE solo practice...but more joined and directed. It will give a framework of practice. The kata establishes the concept and strategy. The various iterations of "kumite" or technical drils, will give the hands on work as in hand to hand systems. And the full speed, full pressure force on force brings it all together. We fight just like we do Kata...which is the entire point and what makes a system.

Oh and we won't be doing "belt" stuff. The original warriors didn't do any of that stuff.
    Gabriel Suarez

Rifle katas would be useful and also with getting off the x and sul.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Consider the progression

Combat success leads to codification of concept and strategy...recognized via success of technique and tactic.
    Technique and tactic are trained and refined as individual movements.
    In order to crystalize those movements and codify them for the future, and thereby also teach concept and strategy, they are set forth in a kata.

Backward planning at its best.

Students then learn the kata, and thereby the concept and strategy that birthed it. The same 100 years from now, barring dramatic weaponry changes, as they are done today. Consider the east and the west systems of combat. Had the west used the concept of organized self-directed training, the methods of the west would be as remembered today as those of the east.
    Gabriel Suarez

I love the concept and can see the direct translation of the eastern martial arts Kata. It reinforces pathways in the brain that make the moves "mindless." In fighter jets the flying part is easy, however, employing the weapon system was very difficult. You had to fly without conscious thought, because you needed your brain to solve the real problem of the fight/engagement. It should be the same in the gun fight. The shooting skills should be mindless, so you can concentrate on the OODA loop and winning the fight. The Kata is a more formalized way to train mindlessness.
    Don Marbach
    Scottsdale, AZ

"Man's flight through life is sustained by the power of his knowledge"

Austin 'Dusty' Miller, the quote on the Eagle & Fledgling statue at the U.S. Air Force Academy

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    In order to crystalize those movements and codify them for the future, and thereby also teach concept and strategy, they are set forth in a kata.

Had the west used the concept of organized self-directed training, the methods of the west would be as remembered today as those of the east.
    THIS

Regarding sword forms and simplicity...

I know a handful of sword forms. They are short, simple, direct and elegant. That simplicity allows sharp focus to help perfect a given movement. I much prefer short kata to long, drawn out kata...much of the value is lost with a long form IMO.

The sword forms I know are almost all 5 or less movements. Draw, cut, and re-sheath the blade. A different kata would turn another direction and cut a different way. Sometimes there is a stab. Each kata is designed to teach three, maybe four techniques. I appreciate the focus and simplicity.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Excited to receive when ready.

And you Sir, (and your other traditionally trained "martial" instructors), need to develop an S.I. funnel. Maybe more of a slightly truncated cylinder...

Because there are times a cup cannot be emptied fast enough 'round here.
    VIRES HONOR VIRTUS FIDES

Complete Pistol Gunfighter
    Force on Force
    Killing within the Law
    Pistol Groundfighting

If you stop to think about it, dry firing is to shooting what kihon is to martial arts study, i.e., "the basics".

Taken a step farther, force-on-force is the equivalent of kumite.

I anxiously await the kata!!!! HAJIME!!!

geezer john
    Godan Renshi Isshin Ryu