Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Passed EMT National Registry Exam

Somewhere around here is a thread about an old guy taking the EMT class and me being 2x the age of the rest of the class.

I passed the class and the state exam. Then work thought it would be a great idea if I took the National Registry exam, especially since they didn't make me take vacation days to do my clinical time. We do data stuff for medical research and being able to put NREMT after my name makes a difference somehow.

The trouble with the NREMT exam is instead of a tradition exam where it's x questions long and you need y% to pass this exam checks your answers as you go and uses 'magic' to decide if you're competent or not. That is as you get answers right it gives you harder questions. Then at some point the test just stops. It's very different from other tests and I think it makes people second guess themselves and get stuff wrong. Oh and you can't go back. Once you answer a question it's either right or wrong ....

I was struggling ( I thought ) and right at the minimum number of questions the test just stopped - poof, thank you very little , good-bye ..

Figured crap I screwed this up but a few hours later - passed. Maybe I'm not as dumb as I look afterall ...

I took EMT mostly to help out with boy scouts and there are some training outfits around here who said they could use my combo of RSO, Instructor and now EMT as a sort of safety officer for some of their more 'aggressive' classes.

I live in the sticks so I thought i was too far from town to run with the local voulenteer ambulance BUT they really need EMT's and they have quarters attached to the ambulance building so it looks like I can stay in quarters one night a week and help out that way. But first I got a pile of protocols and standing orders to learn and yet ANOTHER test to take. Doom on me!

Good job! I agree, the test makes you commit to an answer and that can head game with you.
    So much in the field requires critical thinking and practical action, not navel gazing and second guessing
    one's self into paralysis.
    Congratulations to you; and enjoy this new chapter of your life.

Congratulations. Being able to help people during a medical crisis is very rewarding.
    Trump 2016...because f@&k you.

Well Done!!

Congratulations!
    The government selectively enforces laws, so I selectively follow them.

RGF-3: December 2014
    CRG-1: March 2015
    CRG-2: June 2015
    CRG-2: June 2016
    PGF : January 2017

Quote Originally Posted by reforger2002 View Post
    Somewhere around here is a thread about an old guy taking the EMT class and me being 2x the age of the rest of the class

..... Then at some point the test just stops. ... I was struggling ( I thought ) and right at the minimum number of questions the test just stopped - poof, thank you very little , good-bye ...
    Congratulations and ...

hahahah, your description of the test situation is perfect. That sudden stop would freak me right out!

Congrats....... I think...maybe.....

Congratulations!

We expect nothing less!! Fantastic!
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!

Quote Originally Posted by emtdaddy1980 View Post
    Congrats....... I think...maybe.....
    So it looks like I need to pass a protocol / standing order exam for my 'system'. Basics are allowed to give a few injections under our protocols so I need to spend a few hours in the ED doing injections under supervision / instruction.

I'm a little confused on the CE for registry - seems there are two options - pay to take the exam in two years or keep track of CE hours on my own and be able to provide documentation if audited?