Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I am divided on this, there have been cases of Victory in Defence in some of the historic sieges (Malta, Leningrad, Gibraltar) however I must concede that most sieges end in defeat for the besieged. There is also some danger in focussing on an active offence that may lead to recklessness. I like the word Repulse (in it's original connotation) or Repel, as in repulsed an attack or repel boarders.

The SI method does emphasise that it is more important to Not Get Shot in a gunfight which is an aspect of defence, albeit this is one side of the coin which then entails a dynamic counter attack. For a gunfight on the "street" I agree a counter attack is likely to be most effective, I recall our old anti-ambush drills which were to turn into the ambush and assault through however in the context of a static location, home or place of work, the repulse/repel tactic is more likely to be effective unless we have to save family members. Take a position of advantage and shoot any aggressor that breaches in the face.
    ...If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
    To serve your turn long after they are gone,
    And so hold on when there is nothing in you
    Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on!"...
    If - Rudyard Kipling

ECRG, June 2006
    Warrior Skills Camp, July 2009

Quote Originally Posted by 3corners View Post
    I am divided on this, there have been cases of Victory in Defence in some of the historic sieges (Malta, Leningrad, Gibraltar) however I must concede that most sieges end in defeat for the besieged. There is also some danger in focussing on an active offence that may lead to recklessness. I like the word Repulse (in it's original connotation) or Repel, as in repulsed an attack or repel boarders.

The SI method does emphasise that it is more important to Not Get Shot in a gunfight which is an aspect of defence, albeit this is one side of the coin which then entails a dynamic counter attack. For a gunfight on the "street" I agree a counter attack is likely to be most effective, I recall our old anti-ambush drills which were to turn into the ambush and assault through however in the context of a static location, home or place of work, the repulse/repel tactic is more likely to be effective unless we have to save family members. Take a position of advantage and shoot any aggressor that breaches in the face.
    Defensive battles are wars of attrition by their nature. If you have the supplies and all the time in the world you can win by your adversary quitting, I don't count that as a win as much as I'd count it as a draw.
    AKA: Fuzzy AKA: The Hyena
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    #thinkinginviolence

Always entertaining, mildly offensive

IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heckathorn View Post
    "Kill The Irishman" is a must watch. Green was a bad ass!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    And its more or less a true story of an irish mobster from cleveland ohio who the Italian mafia tried to dispose of several times and failed miserably lol my kind of movie!!!

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

Best military tactic when ambushed: Attack your attacker...lest you die in their "kill box."

I don't consider "attacking from cover" (or concealment) as defending, per se...
    Bob
    a.k.a. StealthNeighbor
    CRG-2 / CRG-3 / CRG-4 / HITS-8 / HRO-5 / RGF-1

"Tell me and I forget.
    Show me and I remember.
    Involve me and I learn."
    --
    quote often attributed to Benjamin Franklin

"I came into this world kicking, screaming and covered in someone else's blood.
    I have absolutely no issues going out in exactly the same manner."
    --
    unknown (lots of variants)

No defense in my book is usually hand to hand or responding after a threat has more than established itself as such....

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

Don't block, don't parry, don't defend; riposte. From smallsword fencing, at the same time get his point off line and your point on line and drawing blood. Move and shoot, not move then shoot.

Sent from my LG-K120 using Tapatalk
    Soli Deo Gloria

do not be a standing target. move and attack as best as you can. this offensive move will help break up anything the bad guys may have planned for you.