Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Bullet weight for 300BLK in 1:7 twist

For the 300BLK folks - I have a 16", 1:7 twist 300BLK barrel on the way.

In supersonic commercial rounds is the 110 gr bullet it's likely sweet spot for accuracy or perhaps something lighter/heavier?

Thanks
    anonymity is underrated

Hornady black 110gn V-max is amazeballs accurate in mine. I have also had really really good results from PPU 125gn BTHP's. On the other end I have also had great results with the sub 208s too. My barrel is a Rainier Arms Ultra match SS barrel with a 1:7 twist.
    Geek Warlord
    How do you want to do this?

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    Hornady black 110gn V-max is amazeballs accurate in mine. I have also had really really good results from PPU 125gn BTHP's. On the other end I have also had great results with the sub 208s too. My barrel is a Rainier Arms Ultra match SS barrel with a 1:7 twist.
    Barrel length?

Cool. I'll get a variety pack of 110's to start with.

I found plenty of data for the 1:8 twist, however hardly anything for the 1:7
    anonymity is underrated

Quote Originally Posted by khadga View Post
    Barrel length?
    oops lol. It's a 16" on my RECCE.
    Geek Warlord
    How do you want to do this?

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Puddle View Post

I found plenty of data for the 1:8 twist, however hardly anything for the 1:7
    It doesn't make any difference, your results on target are not dependent on the twist rate, and load data is the same regardless. You have to understand - that fast twist is there to handle heavy bullets for subsonic loads. There is no "optimum" supersonic bullet weight for those fast twist barrels, because the optimum weight/length is about double what you use in a supersonic load.

What does influence your accuracy more are the characteristics of your barrel's bore and throat. Those are things that vary between different manufacturers, and to some degree even between different individual barrels. Twist rate is way down the list of things that will affect your accuracy with 300 Blk supersonic loads.

Some suggestions to try: 110 V-Max, 110 Barnes black tip (not an accuracy bullet, but arguably the best terminal performance of any big manufacturer), 125gr Nosler Ballistic Tip, 125gr Sierra Tipped MatchKing.
    All of those perform well, but it's up to you to figure out which ones are the most accurate in your barrel.

Just finished running the first 210 rounds through the barrel I referenced in the opening post. 90 of those rounds were the factory Barnes 90 gr. ammo with zinc core in 5 shot groups. That barrel just loves those long-for-weight bullets that the zinc core provides. 2nd best were the HSM 110 gr. VMax rounds that grouped far better than the equivalent Hornady round. I started out vowing not to handload for this caliber and now I can keep that vow.

I'm adding this combo to the barrel of guns that goes with me next Spring to PDog towns.
    anonymity is underrated

I mainly shoot 220 subs out of my SBR, but for supers I load 125 Nosler ballistic tips.

Yea - I load 110 gr. VMax for my .308 & .30-06 HB rifles with std twists.

I just wanted to screw around with the 300 Blk so I got the SR556 switch barrel AR and both barrels. The family can shoot .556 & I can mess around with 300 Blk using the same platform.

Based on my other .30s, I started with the 110 gr. VMax, but results were nothing to get excited about. It's when I dropped down to the longer 90 gr. Barnes that the barrel kicked into high gear.
    anonymity is underrated

I haven't had especially good luck with the 110 gr V-MAX, but the 110 gr Nosler Varmageddon shoots like a laser at 200 yards.

I get very good accuracy with the Remington branded Barnes 120 gr hp sold at Waly World for about $16.00 a box of 20, and there are a lot of bullets in the 125 grain weight that shoot very well, but factory loads in that weight are a little more expensive.

For handloaders wanting an inexpensive bullet, American Reloading sells 115 gr bullets originally designed for the 300 BO that shoot well.