Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I`ve been catching myself looking at improved charging handles, as well as a different buttstock and more modern sling. I may as well include a couple pics of the finished product.

I noticed some strange wear marks on the barrel`s exterior however, no idea what they came from. On one side they`re striped, and have two fibers (or hairs) caught in them. The other side has some strange dotted indentations, not dissimilar to the hardness test marks you see on surplus AK parts. Those are from an inspector testing the hardness of the metal though, and it`s never this many. Any ideas, lads? I also notice the A2 flash hider has some slight rust inside, but that`s an easy fix. The brass deflector also shows little wear.

409lIe7.jpg

f3L6Okp.jpg

C7uN4sI.jpg

jcGnZyh.jpg

BVBYmr5.jpg
    Last edited by Fjordforder; 08-11-2017 at 08:30 PM.
    "they have no basis of comparison and have trouble understanding how an education in violence is presented and have to struggle through the internalization of the topic."
    -Greg Nichols

"mediocrity is the order of the day and everyone gets a trophy just for showing up."
    -Shooterb

It looks like someone has had that
    barrel in a metal vice.

I like the rifle. Simple & hopefully
    reliable.

If you want to get away from the
    carry handle for better optic options,
    changing the upper reciever to a
    flat top is about a 10 minute job.
    I have bought a few blem'd uppers
    through the years to fix that issue
    on a few rifles for myself & friends.

Nice score.

John

Last edited by Johnny C!; 08-12-2017 at 05:15 AM. Reason: added image
    "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" Alan Temby

If it's truly going to be a loaner or backup piece I'd do the Blitzkrieg tritium front post and maybe a light on a IWC mount. I'm too red dot spoiled anymore to not have one though.

I have never seen the Blitzkrieg sights.

I like the tritium version.

Thanks!

John

Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    If it's truly going to be a loaner or backup piece I'd do the Blitzkrieg tritium front post and maybe a light on a IWC mount. I'm too red dot spoiled anymore to not have one though.

Many thanks all. I hadn`t thought of someone putting the barrel in a vice, but that would make sense. Why not wrap it in a towel? Why!?!?

Anyways, I`ll be looking into a new front sight post and superior charging handle, certainly.
    "they have no basis of comparison and have trouble understanding how an education in violence is presented and have to struggle through the internalization of the topic."
    -Greg Nichols

"mediocrity is the order of the day and everyone gets a trophy just for showing up."
    -Shooterb

Looks like the project is going good! Did you do an 80% lower per your original plan? I haven't seen the front sights you are talking about, but I have seen the KNS front cross hair sight and thought it was good, but didn't get to put any rounds down range. The only things I think would do is charging handle (since I'm a lefty I have the BMC ambi on all my AR's) and a Magpul grip since it's more comfortable for getting a high grip on the riffle.

When will you have the first range report?
    The government selectively enforces laws, so I selectively follow them.

RGF-3: December 2014
    CRG-1: March 2015
    CRG-2: June 2015
    CRG-2: June 2016
    PGF : January 2017

Hey Steve! No 80% to be found, I just couldn`t pass up the price on this PSA. A buddy was selling 2 PSA stripped lowers and 2 Aeros to fund his own build. As for a range report, I miiiggghhhtt get some test firing this afternoon actually.
    -Greg Nichols

-Shooterb

Quote Originally Posted by Fjordforder View Post
    Why not wrap it in a towel? Why!?!?

Maybe they did use a towel.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Destro View Post
    Things I would change:
    A. Improved charging handle to help with feeding and extraction.
    B. Blitzkrieg Components LLC luminescent green chevron from sight post replacement.
    Else, I'd leave it as is, too.
    Okay, how does changing the charging handle improve feeding?
    Or extraction?

Quote Originally Posted by whirlibird View Post
    Okay, how does changing the charging handle improve feeding?
    Or extraction?
    BVy reducing significantly the failure chance of some standard AR charging handles. MEALS=Magazines Extraction Ammunition Lubrication.
    The 2cd Amendment has no technological cut off date!
    The extermination of Islam before my dhimmitude!
    8-10-3 forever!
    The operative formerly known as Pug Puppy
    COBRA!