Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I would definitely not put a PDW stock on an AR. I run an NEA PDW stock on an 8" .300 BLK, and it works great for that. But even on the 10" barrel, it feels a little unbalanced. With an 18" barrel, you're going to want some mass behind the receiver.

I've got a SCAR and it has served me well. It's really not that much more money, though I do find it ridiculous that they can't put a better trigger in it at that price. I would have gone with an 18" barrel if I'd had the option, but the 16" barrel works well out to 900y. It goes trans-sonic and falls apart before the 1000y line.

The lack of support for the SCAR does bother me. I would like to have an extra bolt, but they are seemingly impossible to purchase. If FN or the aftermarket ever provides reasonable support for the SCAR, it could significantly bolster its position in the market. The design does have several advantages over the AR.

If I were shopping today (or it might be more accurate to say "next year"), I'd want to take a close look at the POF Revolution. That rifle will be somewhat proprietary--the BCG at least--but it looks very promising.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Virtute et Armis

Quote Originally Posted by H60DoorGunner View Post
    No, not really. The battle rifles of yesteryear were restricted to 1.5 to 2moa because of manufacturing processes and technology. I'm not restricted by either.
    You're thinking with the right mindset, IMO. The rifle I pictured above (if the picture still shows up - blasted Photobucket) has a lightweight 18" barrel and is sub MOA. The barrel and upper receiver are the accuracy components, you could do whatever you want for handguard, optics, furniture, etc to configure the rifle your way without changing the mechanical accuracy. With that said, using an inappropriate stock can certainly compromise shootable accuracy, which is to say the combination of you and the rifle, not just mechanical accuracy.

7.62/.308 however is a very useable rifle for me, and the suppressed full power round is still acceptable as far as decible levels. Right up close it isn't "hearing safe", but 100yds away and you won't know where the shot came from If you even hear it and don't dismiss it as something else in many environments.
    I use mine suppressed about half the time (I have my own QD suppressor mount system); with a properly adjusted gas system I honestly can't tell a difference in noise between that and my 5.56 or other full power AR calibers with the same suppressor. One suggestion I'll add here is that if you intend to shoot it suppressed much of the time, a 16" barrel might be worth considering. I like the 18" on mine, but it does get unweildy with a suppressor attached. A short PDW stock would make that balance even worse.

If you have any mechanical ability, from what I can tell, all that can be achieved for around $2k or less if you build it yourself.
    Absolutely, or significantly less. Even paying someone like myself (i.e. someone who knows what they're doing but not a pro shop) you could still be well under $2K even with a quality barrel and other parts, not counting optics of course. The trick there is separating between "quality" and "name brand"; there's plenty of expensive name brand 308 parts out there that don't fit your quality or weight requirements, especially the weight.

Sorry for the thread drift, but I've been hearing that the SCAR 17 is hard on scopes and optics in general due to the overall light weight and the bolt/carrier mass slamming forward. Has anyone here had this issue? I shot the 5.56 version and was impressed with how well it stayed on target vs the typical AR.

Couple of things to consider when building AR10.

Not all barrel extensions are created equal. Some just try to make the AR15 extension bigger. The case shoulder on the 308 can be problematic and lead to feed problems. Next comes down to gas port sizes. Many folks will over gas the guns to overcome the extension issue which leads to extraction problems , ripped rims etc.

I had a local shop build me my GS gun they were originally using someone elses barrels and this was overgassed. When they rebuilt if for me, they used their own barrel with their proprietary rifling. They gassed it perfectly this time to the gun. I had then do a 16". Their barrels on bolt guns are doing 1/8 min groups at 100. I have not had a chance to really group it at 100 yet but it runs like a champ and from just the shooting I've done, I am sure it will do sub MOA groups.
    _K4A5507-Edit-2.jpg

It is the one at the bottom of the pic.
    Kamp
    Suarez International Tier 1 Instructor
    UTM Master Instructor Training Provider and Independent Dealer
    Kamp's Suarez International Training Schedule
    (and no, unfortunately it isn't the summer camp for our kids we all want to send them to)
    Pacific Tactical Website
    Facebook
    Twitter: @pacifictactical

"Progress comes to those who train and train; reliance on secret techniques will get you nowhere."
    Morihei Ueshiba

Quote Originally Posted by Jeromy Hasenkamp View Post

Not all barrel extensions are created equal. Some just try to make the AR15 extension bigger. The case shoulder on the 308 can be problematic and lead to feed problems. Next comes down to gas port sizes. Many folks will over gas the guns to overcome the extension issue which leads to extraction problems , ripped rims etc.

I had a local shop build me my GS gun they were originally using someone elses barrels and this was overgassed. When they rebuilt if for me, they used their own barrel with their proprietary rifling. They gassed it perfectly this time to the gun. I had then do a 16". Their barrels on bolt guns are doing 1/8 min groups at 100. I have not had a chance to really group it at 100 yet but it runs like a champ and from just the shooting I've done, I am sure it will do sub MOA groups.
    _K4A5507-Edit-2.jpg

Is that the one that made Cash run and hide under the truck bed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it was..Not a fan of brakes but this one the company makes is effective. A great rifle to shoot offhand for multiple rounds, as long as you are not the person standing next to it on the line....Down the road will have a suppressor but not yet. I spec'd the build and wanted it a light as we could make with without getting stupid expensive.
    Kamp
    (and no, unfortunately it isn't the summer camp for our kids we all want to send them to)
    Pacific Tactical Website
    Facebook

"Progress comes to those who train and train; reliance on secret techniques will get you nowhere."
    Morihei Ueshiba

You might want to check out the CMMG MK3 CBR. They do come in an 18" version and they will do 1MOA, or at least mine will if I do my part. They come equipped with an key mod free-float handguard and Magpul furniture, and take Magpul .308 mags.
    Last edited by ronlassit; 08-21-2017 at 09:09 PM.

Does anyone use/make a 20"-22" barrel forAR10's? 16"-18" seems a bit short to an old guy like me.

jim
    2 Samuel 22; Psalm 139:21-22

Quote Originally Posted by Jeromy Hasenkamp View Post

_K4A5507-Edit-2.jpg

Jeromy, The rubber harmonics dampener on your bolt gun....is it effective?? How much does it shrink groups?? Brand??

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Jeromy, The rubber harmonics dampener on your bolt gun....is it effective?? How much does it shrink groups?? Brand??
    Thats actually a friends gun...I have no experience with that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Kamp
    Pacific Tactical Website
    Facebook

Morihei Ueshiba