Default LEARNING TO MOVE - THE WHY OF KATA

LEARNING TO MOVE - THE WHY OF KATA

Monday, June 19, 2017

Last year I wrote about The Value of Kata, and cultivating Mindlessness.

And implied in the articles were how repeating patterns of combat related movements lead to the ability to execute movements without the need for any analytical thought, or as I said, mindlessly. Rather than the so-called "dead patterns", this type of training teaches the body how to move reflexively, and in doing so, allow a creativity of application that would not have been possible otherwise.

In the firearms world we drill all the weapon presentation and manipulations in "dry fire" which is in itself, a form of kata training. This is done again, for the purpose of repeating the prefect movement pattern so many times that it can be executed without the need for analytical thought. The mind, having been freed for the "how" of executing the move or technique, is free to apply actions or reactions to the situation at hand.

Recently I was host to our group from Italy and Switzerland here in Arizona. One of the visitors, Andrea Micheli, wanted to use the visit to obtain photos for a book on responding to active shooters in a world where citizens are not authorized firearms.

He set the scene -

You are in a "pseudo lock down" for an active shooter event somewhere in Europe. You hear the shooter approaching and you position yourself, knowing that you will have to deal with the attacker or die hiding under a desk.

I find the best solution to these problems, at least initially, is to simply respond naturally with what you would most likely do.

So I waited crouched by the door and as I saw Giorgio step through, I executed what fit and what came naturally. Again, movement patterns learned and practiced extensively to allow explosive movement without preparation nor forethought. Mindlessness created by freeing the mind to apply learned solutions to the problem at hand.

Look at the lead image. Does it look familiar?

It is only a violently executed, situationally applied "Yama-tsuke" from the Karate Kata - Bassai Dai.
    Gabe Suarez

We cut our enemy's throats with Occam's Razor

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Default LEARNING TO MOVE - THE WHY OF KATA

Currently training Giekisai and Pinan Nidan for next test.

Each section of a kata provides movement combinations that get you off the X and into offense and OODA resets.

"Freeing the mind to apply learned solutions..." promotes a more relaxed delivery and, as such, faster movements and contnued application of attack.
    Ted Demosthenes
    Suarez International Staff Instructor

Upcoming classes
    CRG-2, 23-24 Sep, 2017, Mapleton, OR
    CRG-1, 14-15 Oct. 2017, Reno, NV
    CRG-2, 21-22 Oct. 2017, Reno, NV

When I was younger studying TKD, I couldn't understand Sang Soo. It was uncomfortable and I couldn't understand why I'd be punching like that.

Now as an adult, I understand it's just a basis for movement that would provide a higher application, like the above photos.
    Chris

I had a mindlessness moment yesterday while working takeoffs. Was way overthinking it. I know how to do it, have done it flawlessly in the past. But, got wrapped up in some of the smaller aspect of the movement and monkey trapped myself. Stopped thinking about it and just let it happen.
    www.ohioppt.com
    Twitter @Ohioppt

Before I test for Nidan, I am expected to have done Kwanku kata 5000 times. To do it correctly, I will see my opponent in my mind as I execute each technique. It is not uncommon for us to do Kwanku or Bassai 50 times in a row at class. The reasoning is that a person doesn't even begin to understand the kata until they have done it thousands of times.

I just finished a 4 day Special Training Sunday. Our last practice was 130 people doing 100 Tekki Shodan kata on a large grass field. It was awesome.
    Last edited by BJJ223; 06-20-2017 at 06:47 AM.

The same can be said about the pistol draw.
    Gabe Suarez

We cut our enemy's throats with Occam's Razor

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    The same can be said about the pistol draw.
    Indeed. Gunfighting has a kata all its own.
    Geek Warlord
    How do you want to do this?

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator

TWOTU since May 2015

Yesterday I was posted up in a bathroom to the left of a closed doorway for about 3 hours trying to remain alert and mentally rehearsing three possible scenarios when I thought: I'm an old bald guy lurking outside a doorway. Where have I seen this recently?
    Difference is that I had pistol in hands, reefed in tight, just below eye level, and I was not able to maintain that low "cocked" position for long.
    When the suspect finally came out, he was unarmed, he had left his "hostage" inside, and he responded to the contact officer's commands, moving past me.
    He never saw me until he was in handcuffs.

Good times.
    OTOC

Warrior for the working day.

"One pistol is worth a thousand words."

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa