Thread: Waterloo

Default Waterloo

Two hundred and two years ago in the fields around a small town of present day Belgium the Army of France under Napoleon Bonaparte were defeated by a coalition of allied forces commanded by The Duke of Wellington. The battle which caused Napoleon to abdicate 4 days later, set the world on a path that remained strong through WW2 and beyond.

Heres Bernard Cornwell's take on the story as seen through the eyes of Richard Sharpe, an enlisted man promoted to officer by Wellington for saving his life. For any of you not familiar with the Sharpe's stories, you wont be sorry, but start with the first book/movie - Sharpe's Rifles.

SHARPE'S WATERLOO, enjoy

Now I have that damn ABBA song running thru my head!!! (just kidding)
    Bob
    a.k.a. StealthNeighbor
    CRG-2 / CRG-3 / CRG-4 / HITS-8 / HRO-5 / RGF-1

"Tell me and I forget.
    Show me and I remember.
    Involve me and I learn."
    --
    quote often attributed to Benjamin Franklin

"I came into this world kicking, screaming and covered in someone else's blood.
    I have absolutely no issues going out in exactly the same manner."
    --
    unknown (lots of variants)

Quote Originally Posted by StealthNeighbor View Post
    It happened to me. But the first thought was the phony 'sergeant' innkeeper from Les Mizerables.

Quote Originally Posted by StealthNeighbor View Post
    I'm not a big Slayer fan, but I've noticed that War Ensemble does a wonderful job of getting anything out of my head that I need it to. Heck, it even works on It's a Small World.

Scott
    Rejected Battle-cry:

CONSUME BIOLOGICAL WASTE PRODUCTS AND EXPIRE, PORCINE SLURPER OF POND-SURFACE FUNGIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!

One of my ancestors took part in that battle. He was in the 2nd Battalion 69th (South Lincolnshire) which suffered 41% casualties. The high casualties came from the two squares panicking under French calvary assault and breaking up. Reading the report of those who survived there were many arms and hands hacked off.

It's interesting to study war. Especially with a personal connection.

The Sharpe's books are really good reads. Hard to put down once you start them.

The mini series is very good, too, but I still liked reading the books.

One of the really neat things about the books is reading the short chapters at the end where Cornwell describes going to some of the places those battles he wrote about took place and still seeing the damage from the battles.

Quote Originally Posted by M1A's r Best View Post
    The Sharpe's books are really good reads. Hard to put down once you start them.

The mini series is very good, too, but I still liked reading the books.

One of the really neat things about the books is reading the short chapters at the end where Cornwell describes going to some of the places those battles he wrote about took place and still seeing the damage from the battles.

I prefer Tim Clayton's book on Waterloo. Napoleon and Wellington by Andrew Roberts is good as well. You might also like Jakob Walter's Diary of a Napoleonic Foot Soldier.