Default HITS-2 & 3 Charlottesville, VA

Last weekend I taught Defensive Pistol Marksmanship and Combat Rifle Marksmanship in Charlottesville, VA.

I had a great group of students that came from various shooting backgrounds who all wanted to either get a good understanding of or a refresher of the fundamentals.

Weather conditions were, well for the lack of a better term, hot and humid.

While a lot of people set in their air conditioned homes and watched training videos on their computer or TV, 15 shooters on Saturday and 13 shooters on Sunday got out and did training.

Defensive Pistol Marksmanship:

Shooter experience levels ranged from no formal training to some IDPA experience, former military, and law enforcement, as well as other shooting school courses.

This was probably the most diverse selection of pistols that I have encountered in a class in quite a while. We had several Glock’s in 9mm & .40 cal, Sig Sauer 226 and 220, S&W 9C and a 5906, along with a Beretta 92 and H&K, as well as a Zev RMR’d Glock (which did provide the operator with some great additional training). Tap rack with a flip fixes most things.

We discussed the fundamentals of marksmanship in detail as well as the SI ready positions and got some practical of them in both dry and live.
    Several people brought up that trigger reset was a light bulb moment for them and one student even said it was not covered in a formal class he had taken.
    The draw was introduced after completion of several 5 shot groups from the ready positions and several different yard lines.

p1.jpg
    Draw dry demo and talk through.

p2.jpg
    Trooping the line looking for bowlers and fishermen, I saw good directional draws from all.
    The rest of the day's shooting was done from the holster allowing for even more efficiency in getting the gun on target.
    p3.jpg
    We moved onto some practical work at nondiagnostic malfunctions fixing.
    When tap rack with a flip does not work, mags hit the ground.
    p4.jpg
    We finished out the day after a few more drills and the After Action Assessment.

This was a great class and I look forward to training with everyone again.

continued below
    Last edited by JD Lester; 06-17-2017 at 08:58 PM.

Combat Rifle Marksmanship:

Weather- slight change...it was hotter.

We had some guys in CRM that were not in DPM the previous day the experience level was pretty much the same.
    The majority of the rifles in class were AR's , we had one AK in 5.56 and a SIG MCX in 300BO. All of them were well set up with various optics and BUIS. There were several single point slings and and I think a few guys will convert to the 2pt sling.
    Load bearing equipment ranged from plate carriers, chest rigs, rifle support bags, war belts and pockets.

We had a discussion concerning the context of the rifle and touched on how rifle rounds react on soft tissue.
    We also talked about gear and how it should be set up and it being a shooters preference.
    Then we moved into the ready and carry positions out on the range.
    R1.jpg

Safe and Sling drills were worked and then the ready and carry positions focusing on the mount from each.

After that was complete we went into the different shooting positions and the pros and cons of each.

r2.jpg
    Talk through on the kneeling firing position.

r3.jpg
    Some time spent getting into different firing positions, note the use of squatting position being tried by most.

r4.jpg
    We ran through the firing drills and did some snap face shots from 25yds.

We were able to see the results of sight offset as we increased and decreased the distance to the target line. This can be a major concern as the shooter may have no obstructions in his sight line however, we need to be cognizant of our sight offset when shooting around or over things.

We ended the day with a peel drill which gave the shooters a chance to get multiple learned skills from the day incorporated into one drill.

Once again it was a great weekend of training with great people.

I look forward to training with everyone again.

Stay safe...Be dangerous

v/r

JD

I attended this very class to reinforce fundamentals and get rid of bad habits. ABSOLUTELY worth it.

JD kicks butt. That is all.

I also attended both classes. I strongly recommend this class. JD provides real world experience and proven fundamentals which can be used by the novice and experienced shooter. JD, I'll be practicing and waiting for your next class. My groups have gotten tighter after just a few weeks of practice.

Van

Thanks to Mike for bringing JD and Suarez international to Charlottesville. What a great opportunity. This was my first class. I learned lots and have a lot to work on. I don't want to be that person who carries but has no training. I don't want to be that guy who can't defend his home or loved ones....Thanks JD for your direction. Student warrior, SteveW

I was the host for this class. This was my first time hosting and it was a really great experience.

After posting interest checks on the club's forum, I discovered there was a desire for training at my home range. I then started working with the club to make arrangements for the classes to happen. With JD's help we got the classes on the schedule with the club. I was really surprised and happy with the response we received. Both of the classes sold out quickly.

I had planned on participating in the classes but since I had already taken them a few times in the past, I just decided to help JD a little by taking pictures and doing target maintenance.

It was a great weekend of training and I feel like everyone learned a lot of valuable information. I am looking forward to having JD teach some more classes at my home range.
    DPS- 5/2013, FRS- 7/2013, PSGS- 10/2013, TASI- 10/2013, CRG2- 5/2014, ITT- 6/2014, HRO6- 7/2014, CRG4-FOF 10/2014, HITS2- 11/2014, HITS5- 11/2014, RGF3- 2/2015

Mike,

Thank you, this was a really great weekend. It was also great to train with everyone that attended.

v/r

JD