Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Knowing how do such things could in an emergency save your life. Many years ago I read of some guys that were stranded somewhere in Alaska without a gun, but they found a box of shot shells loaded with bird shot. They found some 3/4" water pipe and made a crude shotgun from it. They were staying at a cabin on a lake and used the homemade shotgun to kill water fowl until they got rescued. I think it was a problem with their plane that stranded them.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

I keep bird shot close at hand in the spring because the snakes are out and aggressive. I load a couple and keep the shotgun outside when I'm working around the property. It's "bird shot for defense" but it's only defense against 2 to 4lb a-holes. A shotgun and a can of wasp spray are handy.

On the whole cut shells and wax slugs thing, there are countries where shotguns are the only civilian firearm option and bird shot is all they can get. I'm not going to fart around with them when I can buy a box of anything I want, but it's good to keep this sort of knowledge out there for those who need it.

Quote Originally Posted by jlwilliams View Post
    On the whole cut shells and wax slugs thing, there are countries where shotguns are the only civilian firearm option and bird shot is all they can get. I'm not going to fart around with them when I can buy a box of anything I want, but it's good to keep this sort of knowledge out there for those who need it.
    Exactly; no reason to rely on that stuff here and now, but it's good info to know. Same applies to knowing what birdshot can/will do in a defense situation.

Here is a picture of what you guys are talking about.

Instructor JD Lester had one and explained the details about them during a SI shotgun class. He said it was deadly at close range, works just like a slug. I probably would never use them but it's good info to have just in case all you have is birdshot and need something more deadly.

I think he mentioned the African locals used them for hunting and defense when he was contracting in Africa. Maybe he can supply some more details.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Suarez International Student since 2013

I'm sorta interested to see how they'd work on targets hiding behind barriers. "Slug" to penetrate "Shot" on the other side???

OTOH if this was/is such a great idea from the 1920s, why hasn't it progressed to a wonderload of the 21st century? My gut reaction it that its really not so wonderful...

Not very good on most barriers. They'll punch through concealment, like household doors, walls, etc, but not through any real cover.

They are of very limited application.

Also Police departments can be very PC in nature when it comes to ammo selection. Using "exploding bullets" is frowned up.

Quote Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
    Not very good on most barriers. They'll punch through concealment, like household doors, walls, etc, but not through any real cover.

They are of very limited application.
    I was sorta thinking interior walls and maybe car doors/windshields?

Several years ago a local girl was upset about some thing, and decided to kill herself. She used a shotgun with a longer barrel- 28-30" or the like. Not knowing a lot about guns, she loaded the gun with birdshot. She put the barrel in her mouth, and had a hard time reaching the trigger, tilting her head to the right slightly. She fired the gun, removing the left side of her face, the left eye, and some of her skull. She was still somewhat conscious when first responders got to her. The shot load, at contact distance and a slight angle, would not punch through the roof of her mouth and skull
    She lived, and still is around town.
    While I agree its part of a full shotgun education to know how to make full use of birdshot in all its modified forms, real #4, OO buck or slugs are easy to come by, and we should all have a shitload on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by EDELWEISS View Post
    I was sorta thinking interior walls and maybe car doors/windshields?
    The aftermath of the two I witnessed.... Both as an EMS responder and reading the autopsy report after.

First one was thru a fairly flat windshield (large truck). It punched @ 1-1/2" hole thru the windshield and struck the perp in the face about two feet away. Spread was about 6-8 inches. Most all of the pellets penetrated the face. the skull, and lodged into the brain.

Second one was two rounds (two shooters) thru a very solid door. (Spanish style door - 2'' solid mahogany core with 1-1/2" mahogany boards overlaid on each side with wrought iron bolts drilled thru every 8" holding it together) Both rounds punched @ 3/4" hole thru the door and struck the perp about 6" away. Both rounds entered the abdomen nearly intact and expanded while in the torso. Trauma was massive and fatal.

I do not know how long they lived after being shot. Both perps were dead on the scene when I rolled up @ 20 minutes later.