View Poll Results: Have you read and do you understand the purpose of this thread?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and it's intent is clear

3 100.00%
  • Yes, I just don't care

0 0%
  • No

0 0%
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Monkey Business

The SI RMR mounting screws.

Website states "Allows for a tighter fit and eliminates stripped screw heads." Just curious, the screws not having a taper that mates with the countersunk hole in the rmr, or are some rmrs not countersunk?

Thanks.
    Be alert, stand firm in the faith, act like a man, be strong. Your every action must be done with love.

“Adversity introduces a man to himself.”

its not hard to understand, simple geometry really, because the RMR body is countersunk, a screw will always self-center unless larger than the countersink. Ever seen one of those donation tanks at a museum or something where you put the coin into the slot and it rolls around a giant funnel until it hits the middle and drops? Same concept. Why does it allow for a tighter fit? Also, it comes down to geometry. multiple hard points and a larger contact surface area of torx screws vs hex. You will break a wrench or even the entire screw head off before you strip the center out of the head. Could we do a torx that is countersunk at the proper length for slide mounting sure, but here's where that leads. $5/screw for me to grind them down to length, i used to have to do that btw, or $10/screw to have them custom manufactured in batches of 1k or $8 per screw in batches of 10k to the length we require so myself and swamp thing don't have to spend a couple hours a day grinding screws. Trust me, I did a lot of research into what screws were usable before we decided to switch. I'd ask for a show of hands on who wants to pay us at least $40 for a 4pk of custom screws, but these are't 1911 grip screws, so i'm pretty sure i know the answer

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

Does the improved thread protector need to be removed to field strip a G17 with threaded barrel?

And what color is the improved version?
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

2, 4, 12. And a wakeup.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Does the improved thread protector need to be removed to field strip a G17 with threaded barrel?

And what color is the improved version?
    Yes and black

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

2, 4, 12. And a wakeup.

The Pistol Kata Concept
    I have been reading on other forums that dry firing will damage the breach face of a glock........( true - or not true? )
    I did a search for this on the forum and I didn't find anything.
    Last edited by Jdam110; 04-03-2018 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdam110 View Post
    The Pistol Kata Concept
    I have been reading on other forums that dry firing will damage the breach face of a glock........( true - or not true? )
    I did a search for this on the forum and I didn't find anything.
    The breach face won’t be damaged by dry firing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless made or kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
    ... John Stuart Mill

Have you tried combining the SI G43 +1 base plate with Mag Guts internals? I've seen vids of people jerry rigging them with the TT and the Pearce, just curious if you'd experimented with them.
    God's dog, training to be a lion.

TheYellowDogProject...spread the word.

Can SI port 870 barrels that already
    have rifle sights installed?

Thanks!
    "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" Alan Temby
    "Give a man a mask and he will tell you the truth"- Oscar Wilde.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny C! View Post
    Can SI port 870 barrels that already
    have rifle sights installed?

Thanks!
    It depends on the profile of the porting, we have changed it up over time Your barrel may or may not accommodate. If you have a set of calipers, I know its not an exact measurement of surface, but if you measure the gap between the top row on the left and right sides of ports, you will need to be between .365"-.375" for the slug sight bases

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI